Moments in life that shaped the rest of your whole life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

exhausting the selection of Sci Fi novels available from Suddick library so picked up a book titled Computer Programming Made Simple

My whole life changed due to one examiners incompetence in 1997. I needed 3 B’s to get into my Uni course and I got ABD. The D was a massive shock as I was certain I’d done alright. As it was my top 2 Uni’s wouldn’t take me as I didn’t have the UCAS points. I got a place at another Uni through clearing. It didn’t feel right and I was still shocked so I paid for a remark and decided after much soul searching to take a year out and apply again. The remark came back as a C (it was also 1% off a B) with an apology from the exam board as it was marked over 10% out. They said my handwriting was poor and the examiner had trouble deciphering it.

I got a job, earned some money and grew up a lot that year. I applied again next year a different person and ended up 300 miles away in another Uni doing a totally different course. Through this course I ended up working in New York for 12 months and studied in France for 6 months. In my final year I met my now wife and we went to live in Australia for 18 months working in Sydney for half a year. That work experience got me a job in the City 10 years ago that I otherwise would not have gotten.

I often wonder what would have happened if that A-Level had been marked right first time.

At school the some Religious study lessons consisted of the Brother coming into the classroom and asked us to open the bible and read a chapter of it for about 20 minutes. They then then fucked off to the staff room for a fag or a cup of tea, came back and punished those that they think did not read it by investigation of question and answer.
A young Missionary Brother turn up one day and announced he was our new R.E teacher. He spoke about trying to save starving children on his missionary work and his passion to try and save them. Then he fucked off and came back with a video player and let us watch the film 'Rocky'.
After the film he put the film into context by telling us all to believe in ourselves.

Years later it inspired me to work in education and know that whatever is being done can always be done in a better way if the passion and willpower is there.

Another moment is when my first buck made me into a man.:cool:

What moments can you remember that shaped the direction of your life and who you are as a person?

What that one of them catholic gadgies or a black rapper type lad?

At school the some Religious study lessons consisted of the Brother coming into the classroom and asked us to open the bible and read a chapter of it for about 20 minutes. They then then fucked off to the staff room for a fag or a cup of tea, came back and punished those that they think did not read it by investigation of question and answer.
A young Missionary Brother turn up one day and announced he was our new R.E teacher. He spoke about trying to save starving children on his missionary work and his passion to try and save them. Then he fucked off and came back with a video player and let us watch the film 'Rocky'.
After the film he put the film into context by telling us all to believe in ourselves.

Years later it inspired me to work in education and know that whatever is being done can always be done in a better way if the passion and willpower is there.

Another moment is when my first buck made me into a man.:cool:

What moments can you remember that shaped the direction of your life and who you are as a person?

IIRC, Rocky had a penchant for reciting shit poetry to lasses anarl.

Hearing 'Strings of Life' on Chambers dancefloor.

Watching Sunderland v West Ham in 1980.

Seeing a lad in Monument Sports wearing green Gazelles.

Growing up on the mean streets of Witherwack.

Hearing The Stone Roses for the first time too.

Last edited:
Strange how you think certain innocuous decisions shape your life...

Mine was in 1976 and got my first promotion to area manager. Somebody was already in place in Manchester so they offered me Leeds or Newcastle. Was going to take the Leeds job as I was single, footloose and fancy free and I'd still be fairly near my mates and family but right at the last minute something made me change my mind and come up here. One fantastic wife, 3 great kids and 2 wonderful grandchildren later I've never regretted it for a minute but often wonder how different my life may have turned out had I never moved up here...

Death of my gran, uncle and dad in the space of 4 years as a kid. Lead to my mam re marrying, me having a drug problem and depression in later teenage years. Then my mam adopted a little girl and I had a girl of my own. Changed everything again sorted my shit out and now own my own house have a wife and great daughter and a half decent job. Probably in the best place I've ever been!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back