Moon Mysteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isn't that because atmosphere, erosion, tectonic plate movement and volcanic activity, of which the Moon (currently) has none, tend to renew the Earth's surface?

The universe is said to be 13.8 billion years old. The Solar system 4.5 billion years old. Oldest moon rocks conservatively 4.5 billion years old. So the moon was formed at exactly the same time as the solar system did or just after. Quite amazing no? Oldest rocks on Earth 3.8 billion years old even though it's supposed to be 4.5billion. I accept plate tectonics and erosion will play their part in weathering and reforming earth rocks but why the discrepancy of 700million years? I mean if weathering and plate tectonics are so good at renewing the crust why do we still have 3.8billion year old rocks? Shouldn't they be much younger? How long does it take for the rock cycle to complete anyway? What happened on Earth's those 700million years of missing geological evidence?

Interesting thread.

So are people in agreement that Aliens have landed on the moon and have frightened humanity off by threatening us with destruction? I'm almost blushing as I type BTW.

What happened on Earth's those 700million years of missing geological evidence?

We were in the Hadean Eon. The Earths Crust hadn't cooled to a sufficient level for rocks to form thanks to the intensity of tectonics.

It did in the Archean Eon, which was around 600 million years later. From then on, we can date rocks.

So the 700 million years that are missing are perfectly normal.

Edit: apparently some Zircons from the period have survived, however. So we have Minerals surviving from that era, just not rocks.

See - http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v409/n6817/abs/409175A0.html

:D Yep, obvious really. Just ask the American astronauts.
Interesting. As you know I buy into this sort of thing and am pleased to know that we arent alone. I wonder why the governments are keeping this from us? why not just invite them down and introduce us to them (serious question BTW).

We were in the Hadean Eon. The Earths Crust hadn't cooled to a sufficient level for rocks to form thanks to the intensity of tectonics.

It did in the Archean Eon, which was around 600 million years later. From then on, we can date rocks.

So the 700 million years that are missing are perfectly normal.

Cheers marra, so the relative young Earth rocks have less to do with plate tectonics and weathering and more to do with the conditions of early earth?

So when the moon aggregated, it cooled in instantaneously? I thought it had a smallish core and huge volcanic lava plains in its infancy, coupled to the late heavy bombardment which is supposed to have changed the chemical composition of lunar rock, plus exposure to cosmic rays through a vacuum, it's a wonder the Apollo missions found moon rock that was consistently as old as the solar system.

I'm still going for an artificial construct. Isn't our moon the biggest in the solar system (relative to it's parent) and 5th overall? Considering the size of the gas giants alone and their capability to capture satellites, it's a wonder the moon is as big as it is.

Canny set of coincidences the moon has.

Interesting. As you know I buy into this sort of thing and am pleased to know that we arent alone. I wonder why the governments are keeping this from us? why not just invite them down and introduce us to them (serious question BTW).

Depending on what you read, there are multiple types of aliens. Some are more nefarious than others. Maybe the Hollywood films are right, maybe they are all arseholes. I can only think of a few nice ones, E.T, Alf, Mork, the rest are all hell bent on our destruction. Either way the status quo would have to change. Humanity would have to unite, religions would cease to function, possibly an end to war. All good really but whilst there is money to be made from us, governments would not want to change a thing.

Allegedly, the aliens on the moon are supposed to be in control and have manipulated humans for around 50,000 years. They are said to be human-like but taller and grey and reptilian in nature, they think of themselves as our creators because they messed around with hominid DNA back in the day, so they think they own us and can do what they like. Quite a story :lol:

Last edited:
The universe is said to be 13.8 billion years old. The Solar system 4.5 billion years old. Oldest moon rocks conservatively 4.5 billion years old. So the moon was formed at exactly the same time as the solar system did or just after. Quite amazing no? Oldest rocks on Earth 3.8 billion years old even though it's supposed to be 4.5billion. I accept plate tectonics and erosion will play their part in weathering and reforming earth rocks but why the discrepancy of 700million years? I mean if weathering and plate tectonics are so good at renewing the crust why do we still have 3.8billion year old rocks? Shouldn't they be much younger? How long does it take for the rock cycle to complete anyway? What happened on Earth's those 700million years of missing geological evidence?

Again, great questions but no real mystery mate.

The oldest rocks on earth are found in the middle of continental land masses such as the Canadian shield. This is due to the differing densities of oceanic and continental crust. Because continental rock is more buoyant than oceanic crust, when two edges of tectonic plates meet the oceanic crust is always pushed back down into the mantle for recycling. When two continental edges meet they push each up aka mountain ranges. The amount of continental crust on Earth hasn't really ever changed - it just gets redistributed over geologic time (think the rift valley in eastern africa splitting apart and starting to drift off from each other). New continental crust is formed very slowly (think active volcanoes creating new land as the lava cools) and some is destroyed at plate boundaries (it's not really a clean cut as such when oceanic plates dives below a continental one).

So, the oldest rocks are the ones that have always managed to keep away from plate boundaries and have been lucky enough not to have been alongside a newly-formed rift (a la East Africa today). You have to remember always that Ancient rocks are extremely difficult to find - for the same reason that really old books or any ancient artifact is hard to find. As time goes on the chances of them surviving diminish rapidly.

To date, the oldest rocks found are 4.2 billion years old however not 3.8 (plenty of samples of that age though exist). There are zircon crystals however that have been dated to 4.4 billion years old (somewhere in Australia iirc). These crystals (the building blocks of rocks) can in some cases can retain their original 'identity' during the heating processes that would otherwise melt and reset the atomic clock of the parent rock (which is what happens when plates subduct back to the mantle). Imagine having a 2000 Roman coin. If you melt it down and recast it as a £1 coin there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever, right down to the atomic level, that it was ever a 2000 year old coin. This is what happens with rocks, except Zircon crystals can retain that original identity (fucks know how mind).

The gap between the formation of the Earth and the oldest rocks (circa 500 million years) is also a lot to do with Hadean period (name dafter Hades) that the young Earth went through as it slowly cooled the from a violent, heavily bombarded molten globule of rock and iron that is started life as. Absolutely fuck all could have survived from that period - certainly nothing we could consider a 'rock'.

PS: The oldest moon rocks are not conservatively 4.5 billion years old. They are that old. The age of the solar system is well known and not in dispute. we have samples of the oldest known remnants of the solar disc (Calcium-Aluminium Inclusions or CAI's) form meteorites. Meteorites remember are the oldest known relics of the solar system - the original building blocks, the first refractory elements to condense from the cooling disc surrounding the proto-Sun. No plate tectonics, no weather, no crustal turnover on the moon or meteorites so they retain a lot of their original identity.

The age of the Earth is actually inferred because we know the age of these rocks and inclusions and because the Earth is itself a rocky body it follows that they are all condensed together.

Depending on what you read, there are multiple types of aliens. Some are more nefarious than others. Maybe the Hollywood films are right, maybe they are all arseholes. I can only think of a few nice ones, E.T, Alf, Mork, the rest are all hell bent on our destruction. Either way the status quo would have to change. Humanity would have to unite, religions would cease to function, possibly an end to war. All good really but whilst there is money to be made from us, governments would not want to change a thing.

Allegedly, the aliens on the moon are supposed to be in control and have manipulated humans for around 50,000 years. They are said to be human-like but taller and grey and reptilian in nature, they think of themselves as our creators because they messed around with hominid DNA back in the day, so they think they own us and can do what they like. Quite a story :lol:
So they are our creators but have effectively ticked the "no publicity" box.

What amazes me is that no one has publically outed this story. Considering the number of people who would have to know about this and 24 hour news you would have thought that by now someone would have run with this story and exposed it around the world. There must be a massive amount of money, kudos and power to make for the individual who does expose this story.

So they are our creators but have effectively ticked the "no publicity" box.

What amazes me is that no one has publically outed this story. Considering the number of people who would have to know about this and 24 hour news you would have thought that by now someone would have run with this story and exposed it around the world. There must be a massive amount of money, kudos and power to make for the individual who does expose this story.

Or death. :lol:

There is that little problem like. I would imagine that some people may have tried to out this and been warned off perhaps with threat of their life ending.

Still amazed at how this has been kept quiet though.

Pretty certain that it would still leak in seconds even it they threatened death.

I hope no one genuinely believes all this moon alien stuff for their own sake.

Again, great questions but no real mystery mate.

The oldest rocks on earth are found in the middle of continental land masses such as the Canadian shield. This is due to the differing densities of oceanic and continental crust. Because continental rock is more buoyant than oceanic crust, when two edges of tectonic plates meet the oceanic crust is always pushed back down into the mantle for recycling. When two continental edges meet they push each up aka mountain ranges. The amount of continental crust on Earth hasn't really ever changed - it just gets redistributed over geologic time (think the rift valley in eastern africa splitting apart and starting to drift off from each other). New continental crust is formed very slowly (think active volcanoes creating new land as the lava cools) and some is destroyed at plate boundaries (it's not really a clean cut as such when oceanic plates dives below a continental one).

So, the oldest rocks are the ones that have always managed to keep away from plate boundaries and have been lucky enough not to have been alongside a newly-formed rift (a la East Africa today). You have to remember always that Ancient rocks are extremely difficult to find - for the same reason that really old books or any ancient artifact is hard to find. As time goes on the chances of them surviving diminish rapidly.

To date, the oldest rocks found are 4.2 billion years old however not 3.8 (plenty of samples of that age though exist). There are zircon crystals however that have been dated to 4.4 billion years old (somewhere in Australia iirc). These crystals (the building blocks of rocks) can in some cases can retain their original 'identity' during the heating processes that would otherwise melt and reset the atomic clock of the parent rock (which is what happens when plates subduct back to the mantle). Imagine having a 2000 Roman coin. If you melt it down and recast it as a £1 coin there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever, right down to the atomic level, that it was ever a 2000 year old coin. This is what happens with rocks, except Zircon crystals can retain that original identity (fucks know how mind).

The gap between the formation of the Earth and the oldest rocks (circa 500 million years) is also a lot to do with Hadean period (name dafter Hades) that the young Earth went through as it slowly cooled the from a violent, heavily bombarded molten globule of rock and iron that is started life as. Absolutely fuck all could have survived from that period - certainly nothing we could consider a 'rock'.

PS: The oldest moon rocks are not conservatively 4.5 billion years old. They are that old. The age of the solar system is well known and not in dispute. we have samples of the oldest known remnants of the solar disc (Calcium-Aluminium Inclusions or CAI's) form meteorites. Meteorites remember are the oldest known relics of the solar system - the original building blocks, the first refractory elements to condense from the cooling disc surrounding the proto-Sun. No plate tectonics, no weather, no crustal turnover on the moon or meteorites so they retain a lot of their original identity.

The age of the Earth is actually inferred because we know the age of these rocks and inclusions and because the Earth is itself a rocky body it follows that they are all condensed together.

Topper post that. Cheers marra, even if some of it was SEB by a few posts. :D

Right, so can we now explain how the Solar System gave rise to the Earth and the Moon at its own formation? More specifically how the giant impact of Theia can result in the rotation and orbit of the Moon such that it always shows us the same side, another conincedence? While we're at it, how come the moon doesn't orbit our equator? If it indeed did come out of an accreted disc, then surely it should be hugging the fattest part of our body.

Pretty certain that it would still leak in seconds even it they threatened death.

I hope no one genuinely believes all this moon alien stuff for their own sake.

Piss off man. :lol:

wheres this from?

Topper post that. Cheers marra, even if some of it was SEB by a few posts. :D

Right, so can we now explain how the Solar System gave rise to the Earth and the Moon at its own formation? More specifically how the giant impact of Theia can result in the rotation and orbit of the Moon such that it always shows us the same side, another conincedence? While we're at it, how come the moon doesn't orbit our equator? If it indeed did come out of an accreted disc, then surely it should be hugging the fattest part of our body.

The moon showing us the same side as simply a case of orbital resonance. Pretty basic Newtonian physics and nothing unique or exceptional about he earth'moon system. It's certainly not a coincidence of any kind...it is an inevitably of mass and angular momentum.

The moon's orbit is offest by about 5 degrees iirc. Nothing strange there. The planets and other bodies orbit the Sun at various degrees with respect to the Sun's orbital plane. Check out Pluto's .....its getting on for vertical! I a nutshell the solar 'system' is not static, it is a dynamic entity. Everyhting is moving - the Sun, the arm on the milky way we are located in, the milky way itself.

The Earth's orbital plane is constantly shifting, like a spinning top slowing down, cycling round every 30,000 years or so. It would be more of a surprise if the Moon lay perfectly in line with our Equator!

So what was there before the universe? And when you have answered that question, what was there before that?

4.5 billion years ago a rock the size of mars hit the earth and knocked it off its axis, its what we have seasons and why the day is 24 hours and not 18, the fragments of the rock ,formed the moon

easy

I'm still going for an artificial construct. Isn't our moon the biggest in the solar system (relative to it's parent) and 5th overall? Considering the size of the gas giants alone and their capability to capture satellites, it's a wonder the moon is as big as it is.

So are you saying that all or most of the other moons in our solar system formed naturally, but at some point in the past someone decided that earth needed a moon too, so built one? In their quest for perfection, they designed it so it always shows us the same face and fits exactly over the sun during an eclipse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back