MP's in Sunderland

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitfire

Striker
Why should such an insignificant place have so many MP's? This is a disadvantage of the first past the post system. Its not what is needed nowadays. There are no prizes for being first to declsre your election result.

Eh?

The UK electorate is approximately 46,353,900, with 650 parliamentary constituencies giving an average of 71,314 voters per MP and 98,462 individuals per MP.

The three Sunderland constituencies - Washington and Sunderland West, Sunderland Central and Houghton and Sunderland South have 70,177, 76,292 and 70,115 voters per MP respectively, bang in line with the average. Sunderland has the right amount of MPs.

Why should such an insignificant place have so many MP's? This is a disadvantage of the first past the post system. Its not what is needed nowadays. There are no prizes for being first to declsre your election result.

because it's roughly based on population sizes. And pro rata of population we get ~3

But we contribute fuck all to the country apart from Nissan. In fact we drain the countrys resources rather than contribute to them.

But we contribute fuck all to the country apart from Nissan. In fact we drain the countrys resources rather than contribute to them.

Nice to see you ignoring my post there Spitfire. That's a good way to succeed on the SMB, ignore the posts where someone tells you you're wrong ;)

You are trying too hard man

Fuck me. Let's return to the 17th Century and restrict the vote to landowners and the gentry. And nee women obviously. Do you really have such little respect for your fellow people?

there was an attempt to reduce the number of mps a few years ago, but the lib/dems withdrew support, so it would never get through and so was withdrawn.
as for labours total control over sunderland. what have they done for the city. the works on city centre should have been finished in October / November. its near the end of April and still not done. the rest of the Vaux site still nothing done with it.
2 tales.
A lad I know used to work for the council. the council wanted some work doing throughout the city. they thought the sensible thing to do was work though the city in alphabetical order.
Started in ashbrook. called to book and told councillors have complained, so the job was rerouted and they had to go to what was council housing estates.

I was speaking to another friend who is a councillor and he gets so annoyed by the way the labour councillors continually bring in party politics which destroys half their meeting, instead of agreeing what is the best way for the city.

there was an attempt to reduce the number of mps a few years ago, but the lib/dems withdrew support, so it would never get through and so was withdrawn.
as for labours total control over sunderland. what have they done for the city. the works on city centre should have been finished in October / November. its near the end of April and still not done. the rest of the Vaux site still nothing done with it.
2 tales.
A lad I know used to work for the council. the council wanted some work doing throughout the city. they thought the sensible thing to do was work though the city in alphabetical order.
Started in ashbrook. called to book and told councillors have complained, so the job was rerouted and they had to go to what was council housing estates.

I was speaking to another friend who is a councillor and he gets so annoyed by the way the labour councillors continually bring in party politics which destroys half their meeting, instead of agreeing what is the best way for the city.

flaws in your tales.
1, they wouldn't have started at Ashbrook as it's part of St Michaels. Barnes would've been the starting point.
2. All parties continually bring in party politics, this isn't something that only applies to Labour. With Labour holding around 80% of the council in Sunderland, it's of course going to be more noticeable. In fact, I'd say if your friend is a Tory councillor, then he's bringing in party politics for even mentioning that by singling out Labour.

flaws in your tales.
1, they wouldn't have started at Ashbrook as it's part of St Michaels. Barnes would've been the starting point.
2. All parties continually bring in party politics, this isn't something that only applies to Labour. With Labour holding around 80% of the council in Sunderland, it's of course going to be more noticeable. In fact, I'd say if your friend is a Tory councillor, then he's bringing in party politics for even mentioning that by singling out Labour.

That's what I was told and I know what the guys job was so I have no reason to disbelieve him. That was one of the reasons he left. he also saw the amount of money that was wasted and he had to put these jobs first as opposed to what he called higher priority work. All I said was alphabetical order, I never said alphabetical ward names
as for the other bit, party politics should have nothing to do with how councils work. It should be what is best for the city.

That's what I was told and I know what the guys job was so I have no reason to disbelieve him. That was one of the reasons he left. he also saw the amount of money that was wasted and he had to put these jobs first as opposed to what he called higher priority work. All I said was alphabetical order, I never said alphabetical ward names
as for the other bit, party politics should have nothing to do with how councils work. It should be what is best for the city.

I would say it generally doesn't other than when they all get in the council chamber

I would say it generally doesn't other than when they all get in the council chamber

ive know that particular man for nigh on 30 years although he been a councillor for about 3 years and he would not tell me something that was not true. Simple as that

Eh?

The UK electorate is approximately 46,353,900, with 650 parliamentary constituencies giving an average of 71,314 voters per MP and 98,462 individuals per MP.

The three Sunderland constituencies - Washington and Sunderland West, Sunderland Central and Houghton and Sunderland South have 70,177, 76,292 and 70,115 voters per MP respectively, bang in line with the average. Sunderland has the right amount of MPs.
Does Sunderland North no longer exist as a constituency ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back