New flights from Newcastle to New York announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel costs mainly. They burn a lot. Then there's passenger duty etc.
The price of fuel has surely come down though with the commensurate price of oil? Its like going to Florida. Its about £2k to £3k for flights for a family of 4 before you even start looking at hotels etc. Wasnt all that long ago the flights per person were about £350/£400.

The price of fuel has surely come down though with the commensurate price of oil? Its like going to Florida. Its about £2k to £3k for flights for a family of 4 before you even start looking at hotels etc. Wasnt all that long ago the flights per person were about £350/£400.
Fuel prices are far higher than they were 10 years ago.

If you drive a car did you notice the fuel price rises at all in the last five years or so?
Yes but the price of oil has come down enormously and is going down week by week on the international market due to over production. Surely this has to be factored in?

Also werent there supposed to be bucket flights arriving soon via Easyjet type service to the US from Newcastle a la Freddie Laker?

Fuel prices are far higher than they were 10 years ago.
too much money for the ordinary punter - shirley?

Yes but the price of oil has come down enormously and is going down week by week on the international market due to over production. Surely this has to be factored in?

Also werent there supposed to be bucket flights arriving soon via Easyjet type service to the US from Newcastle a la Freddie Laker?
It's still far higher than 10 years ago. Also it's volatile, prices might shoot up again before your flight. Long term lower fuel costs will mean lower flight costs.

too much money for the ordinary punter - shirley?

What do you mean?

It's still far higher than 10 years ago. Also it's volatile, prices might shoot up again before your flight. Long term lower fuel costs will mean lower flight costs.

What do you mean?
£600? Way too much for people surely? How popular will the service be at that price?

You can get to Florida cheaper than that if you want. Going via Miami next year £1700 for three of us.

A lot of the increase is due to fuel prices.

And a lot of it's due to the fact that virtually every major carrier across the Atlantic is now part of of 1 of the 3 antitrust immunized alliances. For competitive purposes, there are basically only 3 airlines over the Atlantic: Star (United - which merged with Continental so is much larger - Lufthansa, Air Canada), oneworld (AA - now including USAirways - BA, Iberia), and Skyteam (Air France/KLM, Alitalia, and Delta - which includes Northwest and also has a separate immunized alliance with Virgin). The alliances have existed for a long time, but the antitrust immunity has only been in the last 8 years or so, along with the 5 or 6 years over which US side of the industry has reduced from 6 players to 3. So you've basically gone from around 10 competitors to 3-4, perhaps. That's gonna have an impact on pricing. You can still use one of the charter carriers, Norwegian, or Icelandair, but then you're either getting a very indirect routing or an inferior product.

I went ower three Septembers in a row during the mid 80s. It was so long ago Ive no idea what we paid for the UK-USA-UK flights but an internal flight oyster card like pass was available on "Continental" for next to nowt which we absolutely caned. We just turned up showed the pass and you were straight on any Continental flight you liked the look of that had spare seats. If there was no seats we just went back to the hotel and went back out on the lash and came back the next day to see what was available.

As mentioned before you can still get to New York for fairly cheap imo. If you are slightly flexible on dates. We went towards the end of April/beginning of May. Booked the flight and the accomodation via British Airways; 2 of us, £1k each for BA flights via Heathrow and staying at the Ritz Carlton near Battery Park for 8nights.

Given the price I wasn't expecting the hotel to be "that" great as when looking independently the prices were ridiculous. However when we got there it was 5* with the expected service. Also had a few famous people stopping in the same hotel. Toronto Raptors were there as they were playing the Nets in the playoffs and Allen Iverson was staying over for some documentary about him at Tribeca.

I might just have got really lucky with timings over there mind as when I tried pricing it up again for next year it was more than double in price.

£530 ncl-cdg-jfk staying in times square in June next year.

Flights were £405, I suppose it removes the inconvenience of changing but personally would rather spend £150 on clothes when I'm over there and wait an extra 2 hours to change flights.

£530 ncl-cdg-jfk staying in times square in June next year.

Flights were £405, I suppose it removes the inconvenience of changing but personally would rather spend £150 on clothes when I'm over there and wait an extra 2 hours to change flights.

I'm a bit tight like but I'd pay the extra £150 to not have to change. Your hotel only cost £115? How many nights are you going for?

You can get to Florida cheaper than that if you want. Going via Miami next year £1700 for three of us.

So if he had a family of four it would be between £2k and £3k given your family of 3 is £1.7k

;)

I'm a bit tight like but I'd pay the extra £150 to not have to change. Your hotel only cost £115? How many nights are you going for?

I'd rather pay the extra and not have to change like. Complete fart on, especially in the states where you'll have to re-collect your bags when swapping airlines.

So if he had a family of four it would be between £2k and £3k given your family of 3 is £1.7k

;)

Ha Ha Ha fair enough..... although if the 4th kid was under 2 then its only an admin fee charge which would be under £300 so still comes in under £2k..... :)

I had our family of 5 booked from Manchester to Toronto for June next year. Total cost under £1500.

Can't make it, got a £400 refund (tax portion). Oh well. Decent price originally (had we have actually gone).

I went ower three Septembers in a row during the mid 80s. It was so long ago Ive no idea what we paid for the UK-USA-UK flights but an internal flight oyster card like pass was available on "Continental" for next to nowt which we absolutely caned. We just turned up showed the pass and you were straight on any Continental flight you liked the look of that had spare seats. If there was no seats we just went back to the hotel and went back out on the lash and came back the next day to see what was available.

Heh heh you make it sound so easy, not the case mate, who wants to tote bags and shite around the place and then horse back into town if you don't get on the flight.

Fair enough ,it's a good idea, but not as easy and seamless as you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back