New flights from Newcastle to New York announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if he had a family of four it would be between £2k and £3k given your family of 3 is £1.7k

;)

I'd rather pay the extra and not have to change like. Complete fart on, especially in the states where you'll have to re-collect your bags when swapping airlines.

Its delta all the way from Newcastle just one baggage collection in JFK :)

I'm a bit tight like but I'd pay the extra £150 to not have to change. Your hotel only cost £115? How many nights are you going for?

£374 for the hotel, 5 nights. Smack bang in times square, no frills but very clean n tidy according to trip advisor.

Last edited:

Its delta all the way from Newcastle just one baggage collection in JFK :)

£374 for the hotel, 5 nights. Smack bang in times square, no frills but very clean n tidy according to trip advisor.

£75 a night is cheap for midtown, especially Ts, is it more a hostel like? Shared bathroom?

It's always one baggage collection, unless you're changing flights in the USA, in which case they often (always?) make you collect your bags and check them back in again at the first port of entry.

Just done a quick search on Expedia and cheapest hotel in Times Square from random 5 days in June more than twice that price, which hotel are you staying in?

Even Hotel St James is £705 for 5 days in June.

Last edited:
It's always one baggage collection, unless you're changing flights in the USA, in which case they often (always?) make you collect your bags and check them back in again at the first port of entry.

Not Always, it's usually up to you if you want to check your bag all the way. I've changed in Philli, Atlanta and Newark en route to Birmingham AL and never had to collect baggage and re check

Not Always, it's usually up to you if you want to check your bag all the way. I've changed in Philli, Atlanta and Newark en route to Birmingham AL and never had to collect baggage and re check

Ah right, I can't remember, I know I had to collect mine in Miami on an onward to MCO. I thought they insisted on it mostly.

I thought the reason was the majority of internal airports in the US had a domestic arrival area/terminal and if you didn't clear customs on the initial flight (need bags to clear customs) then you'd never encounter customs? It's similar in the UK for immigration, but there is always customs post baggage collect, unlike in the USA (I thought anyway).

Last edited:
Not around here it's not.

Compulsory at Houston, LAX, Newark and Chicago - they're the only ones I've come into from overseas I think. Not sure how long that's been the case, but at least since I moved over here in '06, and I may take anything up to 25 international flights per year.

Edit: You can check your bag all the way through, but still have to collect it and put it through another security scan nd the airport of entry. As AndrewP says, most airports don't have an international arrival, so therefore no customs.

Not around here it's not.

Compulsory at Houston, LAX, Newark and Chicago - they're the only ones I've come into from overseas I think. Not sure how long that's been the case, but at least since I moved over here in '06, and I may take anything up to 25 international flights per year.

Edit: You can check your bag all the way through, but still have to collect it and put it through another security scan nd the airport of entry. As AndrewP says, most airports don't have an international arrival, so therefore no customs.

Yep, that's been my experience too. Pick up bag, clear customs, drop bag off at a quick drop area. I'm interested how some people get away without doing this.

I don't know how long ago you're talking about but it's now mandatory regardless of point of entry. Always have to collect, go through passport control and customs and recheck at first point of entry.

The exception (and it's not really an exception) is Dublin and major Canadian airports where you can clear US customs before you board. This means arrival at a domestic gate and bags do not need to be collected.

Had you flown through Toronto or Dublin?

Fuel costs mainly. They burn a lot. Then there's passenger duty etc.
I think UK air passenger duty is a bigger reason. My cheapest economy return trips on BA have a fare of $150 and taxes over $400, fuel surcharge $150 or something.

The cheapest return on any airline NYC-LHR now is about $900, so the £570 fare sounds about right at FX 1.60. United will make little money even on that I suspect.

757s transatlantic is not an experience I'd want to have - then again it's the same flight time EWR-LHR as EWR-LAX and I've done that on 737s which can be excruciating.

Great that the choice is available though, I hope it does well - though I'll still fly BA and change if I'm doing NCL.

Last edited:
I don't know how long ago you're talking about but it's now mandatory regardless of point of entry. Always have to collect, go through passport control and customs and recheck at first point of entry.

The exception (and it's not really an exception) is Dublin and major Canadian airports where you can clear US customs before you board. This means arrival at a domestic gate and bags do not need to be collected.

As you'll know, you clear immigration at Dublin too, not just customs, can be handy dealing with snotty immigration twats before a long flight, rather than after.

The lack of genuine competition mentioned by @AndrewP is also a point well made, particularly since Delta bought 49% of Virgin Atlantic, which will therefore probably enter Skyteam at some point. Virgin are making a loss and are cutting routes, I wouldn't be surprised to see them taken over by Delta at some point.

As you'll know, you clear immigration at Dublin too, not just customs, can be handy dealing with snotty immigration twats before a long flight, rather than after.
Haha. They can be great but can be utter nutjobs. Nicest I ever met was a Mexican in Miami who said "ah, Sunderland" when he saw my passport, he'd lived in Darlington for a year for some reason.

When I booked for Toronto in June, my fare breakdown was as follows):

Outbound Flight £14
Air Traveller Security Fee £15
Fuel Surcharge £125
Airport Passenger Duty £70
Uk & Irl Departure Tax £16.50
Inbound Flight Price £89
Canadian Airport Improvement Fee £15
Fuel Surcharge £125

So I'd say fuel plays a very big part. Take off the £250 fuel surcharge and it would have been a very cheap flight.

Haha. They can be great but can be utter nutjobs. Nicest I ever met was a Mexican in Miami who said "ah, Sunderland" when he saw my passport, he'd lived in Darlington for a year for some reason.

When we went to Florida years back, I went to the immigration queue by myself (we asked before hand and he said I should go alone) and he asked why I was there, I said "for a holiday, you know the usual stuff, disney etc". He said "by yourself?" I said "nope, the rest of the family are behind me (meaning my brother/his wife/my mam and dad), he said I'll do you all at once.

When I booked for Toronto in June, my fare breakdown was as follows):

Outbound Flight £14
Fuel Surcharge £125
Airport Passenger Duty £70
Uk & Irl Departure Tax £16.50
Inbound Flight Price £89
Canadian Airport Improvement Fee £15
Fuel Surcharge £125

So I'd say fuel plays a very big part. Take off the £250 fuel surcharge and it would have been a very cheap flight.

When we went to Florida years back, I went to the immigration queue by myself (we asked before hand and he said I should go alone) and he asked why I was there, I said "for a holiday, you know the usual stuff, disney etc". He said "by yourself?" I said "nope, the rest of the family are behind me (meaning my brother/his wife/my mam and dad), he said I'll do you all at once.
Before we were married we got challenged all the time about the combination of visas we had. The wife always had a hard time convincing them she didn't work while on a B2. On the other hand one lady just said "if I were you I'd just marry him itd be a lot easier!" So they can be human, occasionally.

Before we were married we got challenged all the time about the combination of visas we had. The wife always had a hard time convincing them she didn't work while on a B2. On the other hand one lady just said "if I were you I'd just marry him itd be a lot easier!" So they can be human, occasionally.

I haven't entered the US since I married a USC but I fully expect them to grill me expecting me to want to stay in the US.

Hopefully this will bring new enterprise opportunities to the North East.

United Airlines are terrible, had the misfortune to use them this year.

Pay for the entertainment, pay for Wi-Fi... all three domestic flights delayed, cancelled and they've done away with check in staff at San Francisco and have employed two Somalian floor workers to tag your luggage..

The final leg to New York someone was sat in my seat with the same ticket, so they told me to sit in another seat which was occupied, total chaos, never again..

United Airlines are terrible, had the misfortune to use them this year.

Pay for the entertainment, pay for Wi-Fi... all three domestic flights delayed, cancelled and they've done away with check in staff at San Francisco and have employed two Somalian floor workers to tag your luggage..

The final leg to New York someone was sat in my seat with the same ticket, so they told me to sit in another seat which was occupied, total chaos, never again..
Welcome to my world.

I was flying from Mexico City via LA to San Francisco, they cancelled the LA leg and they wanted to re route me via Houston when there was a direct flight! to SFO half hour later..
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I do a short flight from Houston to Tulsa and back a couple of times a week - they must cancel 30% of those flights. I thought Continental were bad, but since they were bought by United I've seen a new level of incompetence.

Last time was about 3 years ago and no, not via Dublin or Toronto. since then I've been flying via LHR to my destinations Seattle, LA but mostly Miami, Shit job I've got like!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back