New Music Releases Thread

Stuff I've been listening to at the weekend...

New Modest Mouse - enjoyable! No noticeable difference from 8 years ago really.
Tobias Jesso Jnr "Goon" - piano ballads. Nice on first listen.
Sam Lee "The Fade In Time" - one for the folkies. Never really got his stuff before but this is excellent. Reminiscent of latter day Unthanks mixed with a touch of Alasdair Roberts.
Baba Commandant & the Mandingo Band "Juguya" - the hot new sounds of Burkina Faso. It's clearly pretty funky in Burkina Faso!

Been bashing the Cribs album today, think Diamond Girl is my favourite track and Different Angle has really grown on me

I don't know what the point was in pre-ordering from their website, the thing has only been posted tonight. :rolleyes: I could've just gone to my local record shop if I'd have known this. Piss poor, Wichita used to deliver them either on time or a few days early, Sony can go fuck themselves.

I'm still not sold on it like, there are some sparks there like Pacific Time and Pink Snow that just make me sad that they're doing this 'pop' thing, it just feels a little sterile to me.

I don't know what the point was in pre-ordering from their website, the thing has only been posted tonight. :rolleyes: I could've just gone to my local record shop if I'd have known this. Piss poor, Wichita used to deliver them either on time or a few days early, Sony can go fuck themselves.

I'm still not sold on it like, there are some sparks there like Pacific Time and Pink Snow that just make me sad that they're doing this 'pop' thing, it just feels a little sterile to me.

Pretty shite that like, every time I've pre-ordered an album it's come before or on the day of release. On first impression there seems to be a too much filler but maybe it'll grow a bit more

He made two then decided it was a daft idea, although The BQE was about the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway, which sort of counts as his New York album.
I never thought he would carry it out although at the time he was talking about it I think he was knocking out about 3-4 albums a year. Him and that bloke who had a few aliases but whose name escapes me. Conor Obast?

Pretty shite that like, every time I've pre-ordered an album it's come before or on the day of release. On first impression there seems to be a too much filler but maybe it'll grow a bit more

It's really poor, defeats the point in pre-ordering!

Yeah I agree, I was expecting a bit of a blip of an album mind. As you say hopefully it's a grower, probably only listened to it about 5 times. A lot of these songs sound brilliant live mind even if they aren't much cop on record.

I never thought he would carry it out although at the time he was talking about it I think he was knocking out about 3-4 albums a year. Him and that bloke who had a few aliases but whose name escapes me. Conor Obast?

Aye, Conor Oberst. Mostly Bright Eyes but several other bands as well. I always thought of Sufjan as being more akin to Devendra Banhat but all three are similar.

New Errors album out today. Really good on first listen, particularly the last track, all 13 minutes of it.
Playing cluny on Thursday night also.

I know it's still early in the year but that Father John Misty album is going to take some beating for my album of the year. Superb, it's the one album this year I have constantly gone back to every week.

If anyone comes across a spare standing ticket for his Shepherds Bush gig in October then get in touch...
I reckon it's going to be 'The Race For Space' for me. When will you be doing your monthly round-up? Can't get away with FJM, just seems like there's something missing.

I reckon it's going to be 'The Race For Space' for me. When will you be doing your monthly round-up? Can't get away with FJM, just seems like there's something missing.

Probably Sunday night I think mate, will add that Monday's releases in afterwards, I know Follakzoid's album is out then for one. Got a dissertation to write at the minute so I've struggled to keep up to date, will be the same next month too most likely but after that I'm free to waste my time...

I'm going to see Warpaint on Wednesday at the Sage, anyone seen them live? Any good?

I know it's still early in the year but that Father John Misty album is going to take some beating for my album of the year. Superb, it's the one album this year I have constantly gone back to every week.

If anyone comes across a spare standing ticket for his Shepherds Bush gig in October then get in touch...

Hope you can get hold of one, he's great live.

Back