Nile Rodgers of Chic

Status
Not open for further replies.

You bastard I was gonna post Spacer! The song they didn't want to be associated with for some reason. If I was in an audience when he was talking on stage I would ask him why.

Chic do play Spacer, well they did when I saw them in Edinburgh a couple of years back. I interviewed him there too and he talked about Spacer. He sometimes does a Rock version with a guitar solo in the middle. Didn`t do that version at Edinburgh though but it was the highlight of the set for me.

He`s also got some unreleased demos of his Rock band he was in before he formed Chic sitting in a box. Rock with a Funky edge. Now I would LOVE to hear those. I suggested that he release a limited box set on his website but he thought no one would be interested :eek:

He also gave me a lesson on air guitar on how he gets his signature sound and said it`s based more on what he doesn`t play than what he does...it`s the gaps/space that give it the rhythm rather than the notes he plays. That was one fascinating hour and a half. One of the most enjoyable interviews I`ve ever done.

Yeah, mate. Saw a documentary about him in the 90s when I was at college and thought "fuck yeah"!
I was more interested in knowing what ya'd been writing/playing. I kna I didn't make it very clear like! :lol:

You bastard I was gonna post Spacer! The song they didn't want to be associated with for some reason. If I was in an audience when he was talking on stage I would ask him why.
It's on their Chic Organization best of album like.

Chic do play Spacer, well they did when I saw them in Edinburgh a couple of years back. I interviewed him there too and he talked about Spacer. He sometimes does a Rock version with a guitar solo in the middle. Didn`t do that version at Edinburgh though but it was the highlight of the set for me.

He`s also got some unreleased demos of his Rock band he was in before he formed Chic sitting in a box. Rock with a Funky edge. Now I would LOVE to hear those. I suggested that he release a limited box set on his website but he thought no one would be interested :eek:

He also gave me a lesson on air guitar on how he gets his signature sound and said it`s based more on what he doesn`t play than what he does...it`s the gaps/space that give it the rhythm rather than the notes he plays. That was one fascinating hour and a half. One of the most enjoyable interviews I`ve ever done.

He goes into that in the interview in the OP - gets the proper guitar out for it anarl. It's a great style like.

I was quite impressed listening to him talking about the chords and progressions the way he did like. Obviously he's a musical giant and knows his stuff, but I think I've perhaps been a bit naive in thinking he was a guitarist that was all about feel rather than discussing 11ths, and triads and all that carry on, but he's clearly very knowledgeable about his instrument and knows exactly what he's doing. Any hack can funk away on an Am chord (I'm talkin' about yay @Barnacle Boy ;) ) but there's clearly a far greater depth to what Nile's thinking and doing.

I was more interested in knowing what ya'd been writing/playing. I kna I didn't make it very clear like! :lol:
Clear as mud, marra! :lol:

Done all sorts. Studied Music Production, Music technology, Sound Engineering. Anything from funk/blues to orchestral scores. Play piano/keys, drums, guitar, bass and harmonica.

Can't sing for shite.

Clear as mud, marra! :lol:

Done all sorts. Studied Music Production, Music technology, Sound Engineering. Anything from funk/blues to orchestral scores. Play piano/keys, drums, guitar, bass and harmonica.

Can't sing for shite.
Wish I'd gone in for that lark like.

Being a daft young 'un though I laughed at all that kind of thing.

This is what opened my eyes/ears to the Holy Trinity of Rodgers, Edwards and Thompson, who are the the musos playing here underneath Debbie Harry's vocals. Up until then I'd looked the other way as I didn't like "funk" or "disco". Just a Blondie fan who was originally hooked on Plastic Letters but followed the breadcrumb trail.

Who else but that trio could end a mainstream pop song with a minute and a half guitar solo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back