Nostalgic photos thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunderland (N) to Millfield single ticket issued 10.10.53. British Railways were still using LNER ticket stock and the ticket is marked Sunderland N to denote the North booking office as opposed to the South office.

Logon or register to see this image

Sunderland to Millfield Ticket 10.10.53 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

Don't know if I have posted this before but this is my 1989 photo of Fawcett Street Junction where the current Park Lane Metro station is. I am looking from the mouth of the tunnel under the civic centre towards Stockton Road bridge, with Park Lane bust station on the right. The tracks from Sunderland station came in on the right and Fawcett Street signalbox would have been tucked away behind the road bridge.

Fawcett Street Junction Sunderland 1989 2
par PinzaC55, on ipernity

Last edited:
Sunderland (N) to Millfield single ticket issued 10.10.53. British Railways were still using LNER ticket stock and the ticket is marked Sunderland N to denote the North booking office as opposed to the South office.

Sunderland to Millfield Ticket 10.10.53 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

Don't know if I have posted this before but this is my 1989 photo of Fawcett Street Junction where the current Park Lane Metro station is. I am looking from the mouth of the tunnel under the civic centre towards Stockton Road bridge, with Park Lane bust station on the right. The tracks from Sunderland station came in on the right and Fawcett Street signalbox would have been tucked away behind the road bridge.

Fawcett Street Junction Sunderland 1989 2

Do you have any photographs of the lines around Pyrex? Used to play on my BMX there as a kid.

Do you have any photographs of the lines around Pyrex? Used to play on my BMX there as a kid.

I have a few. This one is of Deptford Junction in 1977 with Pyrex ahead of me and Ayres Quay gasworks behind me. The severed tracks off to the left went to Lambton Staithes and were closed in 1967 together with the signalbox which was in the recess on the left of the bridge. The lines on the right led to the Gasworks, Johnson's Coal Depot and the Pyrex warehouse.

Deptford Junction 1977 par PinzaC55, on ipernity
Good 1967 photo here. http://www.bluebell-railway-museum.co.uk/archive/photos/jjs/b09/9-105-16.htm

This is another from 1977 showing the line going off to the Pyrex warehouse on the right. It used to be worked by an 08 shunter with a couple of 12 ton vans. They would leave the vans in Pallion yard and run them down there later in the day. I think the track to the warehouse closed about 1975 or 76.

Deptford Junction 13.11.77

Last edited:
Sunderland Power Station cooling tower being blown up, 1079

Sunderland Power Station Demolition (2) 1.2.79 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

Was standing right behind you probably, remember being just a bit further back from where that pic was taken, and watched the spectacle myself as a kid.

I know it can be dismissed as nostalgia but it was much better in my opinion before the Bridges was built. Wild and windswept in bad weather but less claustrophobic.

I agree, cannot stand the bridges, too bright, noisy, chaotic. Horrible place now.
Used to love it when it was all open and dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back