Not serving your notice at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens?

If for example you handed your four weeks notice in on the 1st of September but received a job offer for a job with a start date of the 15th of September, can the previous employer do owt if you just say you're not coming back?

What happens?

If for example you handed your four weeks notice in on the 1st of September but received a job offer for a job with a start date of the 15th of September, can the previous employer do owt if you just say you're not coming back?

Could leave your employer in the shit, which if you're wanting future references or ever another job with them again won't look so great.

What happens?

I don't think so. If he says you can't go what will you do? Work your notice then go on a dole having messed up the new job?

They might sack you.

That would be acceptable, if I had another job to go to of course.

Could leave your employer in the shit, which if you're wanting future references or ever another job with them again won't look so great.

Aye, I like my boss. He's a canny lad and I don't want to leave him in the shit.

iirc former employer can lay claim to 88% of your new employer's wages they pay to you.

:lol:

Bugger off man.

I don't think so. If he says you can't go what will you do? Work your notice then go on a dole having messed up the new job?

It's just to pay my living expenses for the next year at uni. I have enough money to see me through the Autumn term, my mam has offered to pay me through the year but I don't want that.

I mightn't get offered the job at all, but the start date is four days after the interview so it doesn't give me a lot of time at all.

They wont pay you your notice period and will give shitty future references. They could take you to industrial tribunal for breaking contract but I've never known this happen.

Your ex boss may post your nude pics up on one of those revenge web sites.

I once handed in my notice when I worked down in that Watford in 1979 to move back to the NE. I got half way through the notice period and one morning at work I was reading the paper and was reminded that Sunderland were playing at home in the cup that night. So I just said a quick cheerio to everyone in the workshop, went & loaded my worldly posessions into the back of my old Cortina estate & buggered off - made it to the match too. The company just didn't pay me for the days I never turned up.

They wont pay you your notice period and will give shitty future references. They could take you to industrial tribunal for breaking contract but I've never known this happen.

Your ex boss may post your nude pics up on one of those revenge web sites.

Aye, the shit reference thing is awkward. Not sure how I explain to my potential future employer that the reason they're getting a shit reference is because I'm taking this job.

I once handed in my notice when I worked down in that Watford in 1979 to move back to the NE. I got half way through the notice period and one morning at work I was reading the paper and was reminded that Sunderland were playing at home in the cup that night. So I just said a quick cheerio to everyone in the workshop, went & loaded my worldly posessions into the back of my old Cortina estate & buggered off - made it to the match too. The company just didn't pay me for the days I never turned up.

Not being paid wouldn't bother me in the slightest as long as I had another job to go to of course.

Aye, the shit reference thing is awkward. Not sure how I explain to my potential future employer that the reason they're getting a shit reference is because I'm taking this job.

That'll be two shit references from your last two jobs, you got sacked from Soopadrug too didn't you?

But tax wise it might mess you up a bit.

Discuss with current employer, explain predicament and see if they will let you go early

If not, explain to new employer. Highlight that you don't just want to walk out as a matter of professionalism

They should know I have a notice to serve as I explained that in the job application. I will explain it to them though.

He's leaving McDonalds for KFC FFS

I'm not like. I'm leaving Burger King to go to Pizza Hut. Moving up in the world, baby.

The period of notice required in your current job is usually a question on application forms, so the prospective employer should be fully aware. Probably not relevant if you're off tattie picking or summat.

That'll be two shit references from your last two jobs, you got sacked from Soopadrug too didn't you?

But tax wise it might mess you up a bit.

They didn't sack me, though they did try and blame me for something I didn't do. Either way, they gave me a good enough reference to get the job I have now.

And it wasn't Superdrug ;)

Nothing here that can't be solved with petrol bombs

If you've got a decent relationship with your current employer, they'll most likely let you leave early, unless it drops them in it like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back