Not serving your notice at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm just about to do the same @Frijj

Thing is its a crap decision. I have been given less than four weeks notice until my training starts but i have to give four weeks notice to my current employer. Problem is there won't be another training block starting until the new year.

I would just up and leave but my current job is looking after mental and physically disabled people so don't want to leave them short staffed.

I'm just about to do the same @Frijj

Thing is its a crap decision. I have been given less than four weeks notice until my training starts but i have to give four weeks notice to my current employer. Problem is there won't be another training block starting until the new year.

I would just up and leave but my current job is looking after mental and physically disabled people so don't want to leave them short staffed.

Gotta look after yourself first though

As far as references are concerned, employers are reluctant to give bad ones as employees can sue if they can prove it to be misleading.

What happens?

If for example you handed your four weeks notice in on the 1st of September but received a job offer for a job with a start date of the 15th of September, can the previous employer do owt if you just say you're not coming back?

phone in sick for two weeks, fuck 'em

Discuss with current employer, explain predicament and see if they will let you go early

If not, explain to new employer. Highlight that you don't just want to walk out as a matter of professionalism
I wonder how many work related issues on the smb would be solved by honesty

I wonder how many work related issues on the smb would be solved by honesty

Probably a canny few, but I'm not sure honesty will do me any good here.

My new employer might tell me that they'd rather take on someone who is completely free from September 15. Then I'd be fucked.

Aye, the shit reference thing is awkward. Not sure how I explain to my potential future employer that the reason they're getting a shit reference is because I'm taking this job.
All they will say is start date and end date - anything else isn't worth the hassle, so many misconceptions around bad references most dont even bother doing owt but say "aye he was here"

phone in sick for two weeks, fuck 'em
Know a lad who did that, coming to the end of a fixed term contract and phoned it in for 3 weeks. Pitched up on the Monday asking where his pay was, he was light by 3 weeks money - they told him to claim SSP

My new employer might tell me that they'd rather take on someone who is completely free from September 15. Then I'd be fucked.

how long ya been at your current place ? can they not cut you some slack like ?

Speak to your current employer, I doubt he thinks you're there for long term anyway.

how long ya been at your current place ? can they not cut you some slack like ?

Not very long, admittedly. When I started they mentioned something about a probationary period but HR never mentioned it when I rang them to find out how much notice I had to give.

I hope they'll cut me some slack. My boss is canny.

Speak to your current employer, I doubt he thinks you're there for long term anyway.

He knows I'm off anyways, handed in my notice yesterday.

Thought you could only self-certify for a week? Would need a doctor's note for the second week wouldn't I?

I've only ever had a handful of sick days, most of them when I wasn't sick like...:oops:

If you're going to phone up you'd be as well just leaving.

They'll soon click when you hand in your notice 5 minutes before phoning in sick.

Speak to the new place about starting later due to notice period.

If that doesn't work then speak to old place about leaving. Ultimately they either let you go or you go? But put it in a way that you feel guilty and are in a difficult position.

Other possibility - how would they react to knowing you're going for interviews? If you're a new graduate it shouldn't come as a surprise so many just mention it to them before the interview?

What happens?

If for example you handed your four weeks notice in on the 1st of September but received a job offer for a job with a start date of the 15th of September, can the previous employer do owt if you just say you're not coming back?

Just speak to your boss about it. Let him know the circumstances. I read further down that you might but get this new job? Just have a word with him, write him a good resignation notice, let him know you are happy to work your notice but would be grateful if he would let you leave early if you get the new job. 9 times out of 10 they will be happy to help you, the 4 week notice period is just there to help them if they're really busy or short staffed etc
It's always better to try and work something out rather than drop them in the shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back