Offshore workers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of lads are scared to speak up, most of the core crew lads don't want to rock the boat.

There is a lot of double standards offshore. One bloke can get praised for putting his diet coke can in the correct skip but there are times when spills into the sea happen and it's covered up.

It's the helicopters for me like, hate the bastards and refused to fly on one a few months ago.

Aye, I've noticed that a long time ago - guys don't want to rock the boat.
Mostly the younger lads who are mortgaged up to the hilt and drive around in new BMW's in my experience.
The last time we had a wobble in the North Sea was in 1990 - and I got blacklisted from a certain company for going on strike and leading an overtime ban.

I couldn't think or a worse job to be fair, I appreciate the money can be good, and have some pals and family who have ended on good shifts, 2 on, 4 off.

Got a mate on £100k a year tax free of the coast of Africa, 6 on, 6 off, my idea of hell even at that money.

I like my bed and home life too much to be away for a couple of weeks at a minimum at a time.

I couldn't think or a worse job to be fair, I appreciate the money can be good, and have some pals and family who have ended on good shifts, 2 on, 4 off.

Got a mate on £100k a year tax free of the coast of Africa, 6 on, 6 off, my idea of hell even at that money.

I like my bed and home life too much to be away for a couple of weeks at a minimum at a time.
I'm not sure whether my dad enjoyed his stint or not. seemed happy but was offered allsorts of contract work and flatly refused once he retired. at 52.

Aye, I've noticed that a long time ago - guys don't want to rock the boat.
Mostly the younger lads who are mortgaged up to the hilt and drive around in new BMW's in my experience.
The last time we had a wobble in the North Sea was in 1990 - and I got blacklisted from a certain company for going on strike and leading an overtime ban.

I love listening to these lot on the train after a few beers.

Red Adair has nothing on these blokes!

I'm not sure whether my dad enjoyed his stint or not. seemed happy but was offered allsorts of contract work and flatly refused once he retired. at 52.
It's an easy route to early retirement. But I've seen some cracks of some of the lads being unhappy, especially missing bairns birthdays, weddings etc.

You can argue that you retire early and enjoy life then, but it's too late to see your bairn grow up etc, you do miss a lot.

But they will argue that they get 2 weeks at home to spend time with them I guess? But it's being stuck to a rota, and missing key dates that would nark me the most.

I like my grub, bed and home life too much to be away for a couple of weeks at a minimum at a time.

If he is domicile in the UK & is a UK tax payer, then he won't be tax free I can assure you.
I work international on a 28/28 rotation and still have to pay tax to H.M.R.C. - albeit on a 15% flat rate as I'm out the country for over 182 days.:cry:

It's an easy route to early retirement. But I've seen some cracks of some of the lads being unhappy, especially missing bairns birthdays, weddings etc.

You can argue that you retire early and enjoy life then, but it's too late to see your bairn grow up etc, you do miss a lot.

But they will argue that they get 2 weeks at home to spend time with them I guess? But it's being stuck to a rota, and missing key dates that would nark me the most.
yeah that was the tough bit as a kid. birthdays not so much but working away at Christmas was a bit wank. that said when he was home he was 24/7 there which was great. actually really close to my dad despite spending roughly 50% less time with him than my mother.

the fact he could have made a load of money for not much work and chose not to was fairly telling like.

If he is domicile in the UK & is a UK tax payer, then he won't be tax free I can assure you.
I work international on a 28/28 rotation and still have to pay tax to H.M.R.C. - albeit on a 15% flat rate as I'm out the country for over 182 days.:cry:
Well this is what I was thinking, but he was adamant it's all tax free. Probably just a bobby bullshitter???

yeah that was the tough bit as a kid. birthdays not so much but working away at Christmas was a bit wank. that said when he was home he was 24/7 there which was great. actually really close to my dad despite spending roughly 50% less time with him than my mother.

the fact he could have made a load of money for not much work and chose not to was fairly telling like.
Kids adjust easily, and I'm sure the flash holidays to Disney land etc, and the latest and greatest games consoles etc make up for it! :lol:

Well this is what I was thinking, but he was adamant it's all tax free. Probably just a bobby bullshitter???

Kids adjust easily, and I'm sure the flash holidays to Disney land etc, and the latest and greatest games consoles etc make up for it! :lol:
I work a 35/35 rotation, and dont pay any tax. :cool:

I work a 35/35 rotation, and dont pay any tax. :cool:

Are you classed as merchant seaman then Joe?
If you're not connected to the seabed, then you will be tax free.
For those who are on drilling units, then you are connected to the seabed (via the drillstring) and the H.M.R.C. doesn't give you tax free status as they changed the loophole years ago.

So it could be true then.

Depends what type of job he does - if he is on a survey ship for instance, then he will be classed as a merchant seaman.
Either that or he has a f***ing brilliant accountant.

Peanut heed was telling me most of the lads live in fear offshore scared to speak up about safety paralysed in fear of losing there jobs.not many in a union .the pay is super for the skilled few but most are having the piss took out of them by the oil companies like.

Where the fuck does he work like? We get positively encouraged to speak up.

Always chased the coin that fucker like! :lol:

Depends what type of job he does - if he is on a survey ship for instance, then he will be classed as a merchant seaman.
Either that or he has a f***ing brilliant accountant.

He was on a floatel for prosafe, but sure he's gone to Technip. Not sure on the type of rig like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back