Our defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones and PVA?
I'm talking about centre-halfs.
This summer we needed to invest in long term replacements for Brown and JOS.
We needed to get Roberge and Diakite off the wage bill.
What have we done? None of the above.
But we've signed Vergini on loan again - not good enough.

Don't Chelsea still have to get a foreign player off the books for a season due to Premier League and Champions League quotas? Sure I heard us linked to Zouma on loan, may have legs with Poyet and Congerton's Chelsea connections.
Chelsea aren't sending him out on loan - he was on the bench as the back-up centre-half against Burnley.

I'm lost! PVA is quicker than Alonso and Vergini is quicker than Bardsley, so it's a quicker looking back line than last season.

Chelsea aren't sending him out on loan - he was on the bench as the back-up centre-half against Burnley.

You are spot on. The squad still needs at least four more bodies but there's nowhere in the team that needs strengthening more urgently than the defence. Has to be a priority.

O'Shea is still faster than Vidic(Just as an example I know he's not in the league anymore) and Dawson I'd say, lack of pace is massively exaggerated imo

I've said on a number of posts that we have no cover at centre half - Diakite will not feature, Virgini is fine at full back, dodgy in the middle, Roberge is okay but only just - as another poster has said, we are an injury or suspension away from severe difficulties in this area. We are desperate for another proper CH, either as a starter or solid back up - for me it will be the single most important signing between now and the window closing.

We needed to invest in long term replacements for Brown and JOS? How does that work?

I could see an argument for signing one up and coming centre half, though there's no guarantees regarding potential, but how are long term replacements going to progress now seeing as those two are still here and still first choice, unless they're either injured or we sign quality? If we sign quality, then given what's happening this transfer window how are we going to get two to come and how on earth could we afford two? Don't you think we have more pressing concerns?

And what are we supposed to do with Roberge and Diakite pay them off?

I've said on a number of posts that we have no cover at centre half - Diakite will not feature, Virgini is fine at full back, dodgy in the middle, Roberge is okay but only just - as another poster has said, we are an injury or suspension away from severe difficulties in this area. We are desperate for another proper CH, either as a starter or solid back up - for me it will be the single most important signing between now and the window closing.

Diakite would feature if we were that short, he'd have to. I'm strugging to see how this is any different from last season though....Ideally we need a centre half I agree, but our more pressing concerns are currently elsewhere.

Last edited:
It isn't any different to last season, but isn't that the point - we nearly got relegated last season. Maybe we got lucky with Wes's lack of injuries last season, but can we expect it two seasons running, given his past record. We all worried when JOS & Wes weren't together, cos the back ups weren't good enough, and we could do with not having to make do and mind this season. I don't disagree that Diakite would have to do a job if he's still here come September 2nd - I was at West Brom last year when he played, and he certainly wasn't the worst player on the pitch BUT if Gus doesn't fancy him then he's not going to do a job no matter what. We do have other pressing problems, but my view is we could just about manage, but I don't think we can at CH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back