Over 40,000 Britons will be killed in the next few months

Status
Not open for further replies.

40,000 extra people than would normally be expected is not a 'fact of life'

With regards to military spending being low, it's currently 2 per cent of our GDP, which is almost double what Germany, for example, spends on defence.
Yes it is, tbh, otherwise there couldn't be 'excess deaths' every frigging winter ...:

Logon or register to see this image

Because they've actually projected even worse figures for this year.
Where?

Linkie, please.

So it's 20,000 one year

40,000 the next
Commenting on the statistics, Claudia Wells, at the ONS, said: "A major cause behind the rise was the flu virus, with estimates showing that the flu vaccine was not as effective this winter compared to previous years.

"While the cold temperature is a factor, most of last winter was warmer than average."

Respiratory illnesses such as influenza and pneumonia were the underlying causes of death in more than a third of all winter cases.

Experts say the strain of flu circulating last year had a greater impact on older people, resulting in a number of care home outbreaks and admissions to intensive care.

That's not a 'fact of life' then is it? It's totally f***ing preventable with fuel bill help.
Read the article, an ineffective flu vaccine is being blamed.

As for the 'cold weather':
<< Commenting on the statistics, Claudia Wells, at the ONS, said: "A major cause behind the rise was the flu virus, with estimates showing that the flu vaccine was not as effective this winter compared to previous years.
"While the cold temperature is a factor, most of last winter was warmer than average."
Respiratory illnesses such as influenza and pneumonia were the underlying causes of death in more than a third of all winter cases.
Experts say the strain of flu circulating last year had a greater impact on older people, resulting in a number of care home outbreaks and admissions to intensive care. >>

Last edited:
Fuel bill help already exists. Pensioners are protected, so are those with young children or on specific benefits.

The real problem is that these benefits are paid retrospectively after the bills have come in, so the recipient has to pay the winter bill and then wait for credits which cover their Summer bills which are generally lower anyway.

The credit should be applied at the end of September before the bills become due that would mean that people would be more relaxed about having the heating on.

Where?

Linkie, please.

Read the article, an ineffective flu vaccine is being blamed.

As for the 'cold weather':
<< Commenting on the statistics, Claudia Wells, at the ONS, said: "A major cause behind the rise was the flu virus, with estimates showing that the flu vaccine was not as effective this winter compared to previous years.
Experts say the strain of flu circulating last year had a greater impact on older people, resulting in a number of care home outbreaks and admissions to intensive care. >>
What a div :D

We actually had quite a mild winter last year you know.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/last-winter-killed-40000-elderly-6888219

Read that headline, obviously ONS don't publish figures before the data is available but it doesn't take a genius to work out that a colder winter will result in MORE DEATHS

40,000 extra people than would normally be expected is not a 'fact of life'

With regards to military spending being low, it's currently 2 per cent of our GDP, which is almost double what Germany, for example, spends on defence.

Why did you pick Germany, a country with relatively low defence spending for historical, political issues and no overseas territory to defend?

UK defence spending as a percentage of GDP is lower than it has ever been.

There's always some whatabout clause when it comes to these things. How can you spend money on X when Y is a problem? With the left X is generally defence, with the right it's the EU and foreign aid.

The £200 fuel allowance for pensioners, plus another £140 from their supplier if they are in receipt of pension credits isn't too shabby and should help save many lives. A big thank you to the tax paying posters on here. Much appreciated.
Nee bother Nemo keep yisell tucked up and warm mate, you're worth every penny.

I'm not anti foreigner or anti charity but no British citizen in this country should be dying of neglect at the expense of helping people abroad. It is the legal and moral duty of the government to look after the interests of its own citizens.
That said I think we should help by using our military in costructive ways abroad like sending field hospitals and building bridges etc.

Fuel bill help already exists. Pensioners are protected, so are those with young children or on specific benefits.

The real problem is that these benefits are paid retrospectively after the bills have come in, so the recipient has to pay the winter bill and then wait for credits which cover their Summer bills which are generally lower anyway.

The credit should be applied at the end of September before the bills become due that would mean that people would be more relaxed about having the heating on.

Winter Fuel allowance is paid in November.

Nee bother Nemo keep yisell tucked up and warm mate, you're worth every penny.

Cheers Teed.

by not being able to keep warm in the cold

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11382808/Winter-death-toll-to-exceed-40000.html

That's one every seven minutes

This is a tragedy, a silent tragedy that not many people know about, hence this thread.

Remember this the next time the news is telling us we need to spend billions on military equipment and wars to 'save lives'

And when they cut tax credits for workers etc

Btw, before you go calling me a leftie, I'm all for the action in Syria, we could quite easily solve this problem, the death toll was half this amount 3 years ago.

For comparison, cold weather in Britain will kill a similar amount of people that the Nagasaki atomic bomb killed.
I'll be one. £100 per month electric bills I'll end up being financially killed

Why did you pick Germany, a country with relatively low defence spending for historical, political issues and no overseas territory to defend?

UK defence spending as a percentage of GDP is lower than it has ever been.

There's always some whatabout clause when it comes to these things. How can you spend money on X when Y is a problem? With the left X is generally defence, with the right it's the EU and foreign aid.
Why did I pick Germany? Hmm, a successful large European country with an economy that pisses on ours, where pensioners don't freeze to death, perhaps?

I could have picked Switzerland, theirs is 0.7.

Japan? Italy? Spain? China?

France spends about the same as us, but finds plenty of money for welfare in comparison, Why is that? Is it because we give too many people a free ride?

Just admit you didn't read either article (well, not properly anyway) and move on. :lol:
Course I did man ;)

My point still stands

40,000 dead Britons

Why did I pick Germany? Hmm, a successful large European country with an economy that pisses on ours, where pensioners don't freeze to death, perhaps?

I could have picked Switzerland, theirs is 0.7.

Japan? Italy? Spain? China?

France spends about the same as us, but finds plenty of money for welfare in comparison, Why is that? Is it because we give too many people a free ride?

Course I did man ;)

My point still stands

40,000 dead Britons
40,000 Britons [English and Welsh only, actually] dead from the flu.

Are you actually that surprised that, on average, between 4% and 6.5% of all folk dying each year is from OAPs getting the flu?

by not being able to keep warm in the cold

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/11382808/Winter-death-toll-to-exceed-40000.html

That's one every seven minutes

This is a tragedy, a silent tragedy that not many people know about, hence this thread.

Remember this the next time the news is telling us we need to spend billions on military equipment and wars to 'save lives'

And when they cut tax credits for workers etc

Btw, before you go calling me a leftie, I'm all for the action in Syria, we could quite easily solve this problem, the death toll was half this amount 3 years ago.

For comparison, cold weather in Britain will kill a similar amount of people that the Nagasaki atomic bomb killed.

Nah mate you're alright. I'd rather be scared shitless by this so called war on terror than worry about other real stuff.

Bloody Iceis

:lol:

Sharp mate. Very sharp

It's a shame they couldn't bring the weather with them, the refugees there Marra

I have never known a lass refuse to have the heating on! Jesus

Her "boiler" must need mending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back