Pantilimon for Mannone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in a position to judge. Vito has worked wonders and grown in stature, doubt many could honestly say he is one of the top PL keepers, but he is pretty competent and seems to have the confidence of his outfielders as much as anyone for years. Distribution good too which was a weakness of even our best recent stopper, I don't believe he had a poor game on Saturday for the work he was given. No MOTM but no more a culprit than eg Roberge for missing that header. Pantilimon is a bit of an unknown, new club, new teammates, new system - and I doubt we had many experts on him prior to coming here anyway. This is one we're surely going to have to leave to the management's judgement. That said I expect him to start in the cup - it's the approach we've used recently and makes a lot of sense.

Plus his mistake at City could easily have cost us our Prem status.

Harsh saying that however he made a lot of errors in a lot of games towards the end of the season that didn't help.

Was really poor against Everton, Spurs and City in particular in the run in. Wasn't tested against WBA or Man Utd but think he might have flapped one onto the bar against United. Flapped everything first half against Chelsea.

Gerrard free kick was a poor goal to give away considering he was meant to be covering that side of the goal and then took a step behind the wall trying to anticipate and then he was really easy beaten against Swansea (however that game didn't matter really).

Pantillimon can't do any worse imo. How long do you keep playing someone hoping they recapture their best form? Especially a keeper.

I'd like to see Poyet wait till the COC match and then if he's good throw him in.

Mannone will be dropped sooner rather than later if he doesn't get a grip of his game mind. Lost the plot since March flapping about his 6 yard box.
Aye, he got away with a couple of mistakes where they could easily have led to goals. I remember one where he slipped forwards taking a goal kick and it going straight to the oppositions closest player, not to mention the Man City/Spurs goals. He needs to get back to the way he played when he first came into the side and the few month after.

Aye, he got away with a couple of mistakes where they could easily have led to goals. I remember one where he slipped forwards taking a goal kick and it going straight to the oppositions closest player, not to mention the Man City/Spurs goals. He needs to get back to the way he played when he first came into the side and the few month after.

Aye think it was against Palace. Also Everton where he passed it straight to them and then on another occasion came charging out to get the ball and Naismith got it and put it wide.

I don't think waiting until a mistake happens then dropping a keeper is a good way to manage the competition between them - unless you're looking to destroy his confidence. Mistakes happen to everyone, it's how consistently good they are generally that matters more. Hopefully a good man manager (and I think Gus is) will give Mannone at least 5 games, maybe excluding the cup game (and let him know that in advance), and take a judgement across those games, rather than keep him on a knife edge awaiting his first mistake.

One thing I think Gus likes about Mannone is that he's pretty decent with his feet for a keeper, so quite well suited to our style of play which requires the keeper to take and make a pass quite frequently. The same may also be true of Pantilimon of course, I don't know, but I'm sure that's one of the reasons Mannone has his place in the side.

He should have parried that shot out for a corner so as Gardner couldn't knock it back in but I'd stick with him for his distribution.

I would have started with Pants but as we didn't I don't think you can drop Mannone due to one poor game.

Pants will eventually be N0 1 but you have more chance of keeping Mannone commited if he is given a few games to prove otherwise.

I'd like to see him become our regular goalkeeper. I know it goes against the opinion of most but I think Vito can look very suspect at time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back