Parliament debates drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe the Tories would like to explain why they dragged their heels releasing (some would say suppressed) the home office report that said tough laws on drug use don't work.

Guess they just prefer to claim they are tough on crime while turning a blind eye to the reality of a forty year failed war on drugs.

Difficult to call the outcome. :rolleyes:

It clashes with lunchtime in the House of Commons bar. Most of 'em will be far too busy getting pissed or snorting coke in a brothel. Not that I'm suggesting someone with class and integrity like the chancellor would ever stoop so low.

It clashes with lunchtime in the House of Commons bar. Most of 'em will be far too busy getting pissed or snorting coke in a brothel. Not that I'm suggesting someone with class and integrity like the chancellor would ever stoop so low.

Disgusting how few MPs are there to hear this.

Maybe the Tories would like to explain why they dragged their heels releasing (some would say suppressed) the home office report that said tough laws on drug use don't work.

Guess they just prefer to claim they are tough on crime while turning a blind eye to the reality of a forty year failed war on drugs.

People still assault, rape and murder others, should we class those as failed wars and turn a blind eye?

Its absolutely clear that criminalising drug takers just makes the whole situation worse.

Its the primary reason why nobody trusts politicians - they don't stand up for the truth if it will cost them votes.

Which is why I had a lot of sympathy for Blair - he knew Iraq was hugely unpopular, but he stuck by his opinion - whether you think it was right or wrong - the easy thing to do would have been to ignore what he believed to be true.

People still assault, rape and murder others, should we class those as failed wars and turn a blind eye?

You think drugs as an illegal activity is comparable to assault, rape and murder? Really? And anyway no-one is advocating 'turning a blind eye' to drugs use, rather legalisation and control. That way your lot can do some real police work.

Paul Flynn speaking superbly in the House at the mo :cool:

Way to go missing the point completely. With your high levels of observation and insight have you ever considered a job with the Met Police?

How many assaults, thefts and murders have there been over the last forty years of our war on drugs are directly attributable to the drugs trade?

A succession of governments have ignored the fact that there are other options that might reduce the associated crimes that go with the drugs trade. Just so they can say "we are tougher on crime than the opposition". It hasn't worked for the last forty years but hey fuck it lets try for another forty years of the same failed policies it might work eventually.

Not many there like. 15 at the most? However, I notice that the resident MP from The Green Party have bothered to attend, unlike many others. More credit to her and her party. Not that it will get reported....

That is the conundrum. It's not the government's fault that people are so dumb that they'll imbibe the contents of some chinaman's kitchen in the form of legal highs just to get some kind of hit because their poison of choice is unavailable or too expensive.

That said, it is a failed war in the approach the government uses. I would suggest a 'buffer court' system intended to get the help people need to sort their lives out with criminal proceedings being attatched later if that help isn't wanted. Let's not forget that drug use in the UK has decreased over the past decade by around 15%. I see too many people using cannabis on the way to work and even at work to want it decriminalized (and this includes high risk jobs such as the building trade) but there needs to be a half way house in effect for the good work to move forward.

Can you imagine how much coke is sniffed in the Houses of Parliaments bogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back