Parliament debates drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isn't that exactly what they are debating? If it should be an illegal lifestyle choice. Seems ridiculous to me that it is for some things and not for others.

Depends how much and what we want to add into the pot. Unlike other drugs which, since the explosion of the 60s has been associated with counterculture alcohol has been part of the social fabric of this country for millennia, which despite making it impossible to prohibit is still open to abuse. With newer drugs imho we should treat those who use them like children in that if people can prove themselves to use the stuff responsibly then the rules can be relaxed.

Depends how much and what we want to add into the pot. Unlike other drugs which, since the explosion of the 60s has been associated with counterculture alcohol has been part of the social fabric of this country for millennia, which despite making it impossible to prohibit is still open to abuse. With newer drugs imho we should treat those who use them like children in that if people can prove themselves to use the stuff responsibly then the rules can be relaxed.

The overwhelming majority of illegal drug users do use them responsibly.

The overwhelming majority of illegal drug users do use them responsibly.
I'm yet to be convinced. Like I say, I know to many people taking drugs whilst at work. I also know that some people still have a lunchtime drink but the effects are different to having a joint or two...in fact I know far too many people who skin up or toke for breakfast. That's the reality.

And on that note it would also help that we just stuck to the normal kind of cannabis we got in my youth but no...we had to breed stronger and stronger strains of the stuff until we got to White Widow levels which is neither use for man nor beast and has more implications for mental health issues.

Last edited:
I'm yet to be convinced. Like I say, I know to many people taking drugs whilst at work. I also know that some people still have a lunchtime drink but the effects are different to having a joint or two..

And on that note it would also help that we just stuck to the normal kind of cannabis we got in my youth but no...we had to breed stronger and stronger strains of the stuff until we got to White Widow levels which is neither use for man nor beast and has more implications for mental health issues.

Would the potency not be easier to control if drugs were legalised and their sale regulated? The strength of just about all mass produced premium lagers has decreased over the last few years simply by changing tax thresholds.

Would the potency not be easier to control if drugs were legalised and their sale regulated? The strength of just about all mass produced premium lagers has decreased over the last few years simply by changing tax thresholds.

The people get what the people want. I can't see it putting the Vietnamese growing trade out of business and do you really reckon that people will be satisfied without their skunk? I don't. Red Leb and Moroccan Black just doesn't cut it anymore I'm afraid.

Is the debate over yet?

What did they decide was best?

The people get what the people want. I can't see it putting the Vietnamese growing trade out of business and do you really reckon that people will be satisfied without their skunk? I don't. Red Leb and Moroccan Black just doesn't cut it anymore I'm afraid.

You're wrong there fella. Red Leb and Moroccan Black of a good quality would be very welcome, and I know many, many stoners who'd agree with that. It's not all about strength.

I reckon people would be fine if the strength of their skunk is limited and the limit gradually reduced through taxation or whatever. Much like with alcohol, the vast majority would much rather save the hassle and buy legally from the shop rather than seeking an illegal alternative for marginally lower cost or higher strength.

You're wrong there fella. Red Leb and Moroccan Black of a good quality would be very welcome, and I know many, many stoners who'd agree with that. It's not all about strength.
Not in my experience. Folk I know will only touch green, and not your normal weed either, you have to be able to see the THC. and anything solid is pretty much a rarity.

I'm yet to be convinced. Like I say, I know to many people taking drugs whilst at work. I also know that some people still have a lunchtime drink but the effects are different to having a joint or two...in fact I know far too many people who skin up or toke for breakfast. That's the reality.

How about a labelling regime, where the strength of the drug is clearly stated on the package, and there is proof that the product is from a legitimate source. The strength could be related to different tax bands. There could also be a government programme of adverts and health advice showing us the best and safest way to take our drugs, and to warn people of the dangers of over-indulgence? :)

How about a labelling regime, where the strength of the drug is clearly stated on the package, and there is proof that the product is from a legitimate source. The strength could be related to different tax bands. There could also be a government programme of adverts and health advice showing us the best and safest way to take our drugs, and to warn people of the dangers of over-indulgence? :)

If only there was some sort of precedent for that.

Not in my experience. Folk I know will only touch green, and not your normal weed either, you have to be able to see the THC. and anything solid is pretty much a rarity.

People buy from dealers and invariably theyll buy whatever the dealer's got. Historically they will have bought some shit weed from the dealer and have asked for stronger. Consequently the growers/dealers grew weed with higher and higher thc content. People buy it and smoke it because that's all that's available to them. When they have choice they invariably choose solid, weed, cakes, whatever, but they choose from a variety and it's not always all about high THC. If good solid was to rear it's head again in the UK (it's currently as rare as hen's teeth) there are many who'd buy it rather than high THC weed.

My neurologist fully endorses my use of a vapouriser and cannabis. Its a shame that some people actually believe that sensible use of cannabis is dangerous in anyway. Ive had far more problems with the standard pharmaceuticals for my condition than anything, some have been so powerful i could not even get to the toilet never mind drive or operate machinery.

Fact is there are more deaths and addiction with Perscription drugs than all of the class 1 and 2 drugs put together. Cannabis alone as never killed anyone ever.

Drugs policy in the UK is broadly right. Drug use is falling in all catagories, deaths from drugs are falling too.

Most debate about drugs policy is based on a false dichotomy - you are either tough on drugs (harsher sentences) or soft on drugs (treatment not prison). In fact a sensible drugs policy has both - treatment services for those willing to change behaviour, prison for those who wont.

Behind the scenes however there has been a huge change over the last 10 years. Education in schools is massively better, such that attitudes towards drugs from younger people are much less pro-drugs than my generation was. Health care services are loads better - the NHS has more beds for detox and more consultants than ever before. The introduction of drug treatment orders and arrest referral schemes has been mostly succesful.

The right wing lobbyists who see more prison as a solution for everything are still making as much noise as before but frankly most people realise that expanding the treatment and recovery end of services rather than prison places has caused the fall in drug use.

The biggest priorities in the debate on drugs policy should be protecting current treatment services from cuts, extending anti-drugs education programmes, and slowly but steadily shifting resources from prison to treatment. Prison, should however, always be an option, particularly for dealers

Legalisation is a blind alley imho

Drugs policy in the UK is broadly right. Drug use is falling in all catagories, deaths from drugs are falling too.

Most debate about drugs policy is based on a false dichotomy - you are either tough on drugs (harsher sentences) or soft on drugs (treatment not prison). In fact a sensible drugs policy has both - treatment services for those willing to change behaviour, prison for those who wont.

Behind the scenes however there has been a huge change over the last 10 years. Education in schools is massively better, such that attitudes towards drugs from younger people are much less pro-drugs than my generation was. Health care services are loads better - the NHS has more beds for detox and more consultants than ever before. The introduction of drug treatment orders and arrest referral schemes has been mostly succesful.

The right wing lobbyists who see more prison as a solution for everything are still making as much noise as before but frankly most people realise that expanding the treatment and recovery end of services rather than prison places has caused the fall in drug use.

The biggest priorities in the debate on drugs policy should be protecting current treatment services from cuts, extending anti-drugs education programmes, and slowly but steadily shifting resources from prison to treatment. Prison, should however, always be an option, particularly for dealers

Legalisation is a blind alley imho

Would you agree to the same treatment for those drinking alcohol and tobacco?

The Tories will know everything about it!

My take is we should relax the laws on all drugs except Heroin - execute people who take heroin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back