Part Exchange Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShieldsBlackCat

As you know I got a nice Mazda 2 a few weeks ago from the Evans Halshaw Chevrolet dealership. I traded my old Clio in. Not being savvy and informed about such things we all thought it was best. The Part Exchange Allowance on the Used Vehicle Order Form was £650. The guy I dealt with said it will probably go to auction. Not thinking about it I got on with things. I came back from an antique shop in Newcastle in my dad's car and went via the dealership where to my surprise I saw it parked up on the embankment near to the road. I thought to myself "I am going to find out what the price is". I could not find it on the dealers website but found it on PistonHeads.

Guess what the price was? Yep....£1,793!

Have I been robbed? Or is the Part Exchange price always different to and significantly lower than the retail price?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...o/renault-clio-1-2-16v-expression-3dr/2880901

That's how most garages make their money, I have been told.

Guess how much profit Ford factories make on each basic Fiesta?

As you know I got a nice Mazda 2 a few weeks ago from the Evans Halshaw Chevrolet dealership. I traded my old Clio in. Not being savvy and informed about such things we all thought it was best. The Part Exchange Allowance on the Used Vehicle Order Form was £650. The guy I dealt with said it will probably go to auction. Not thinking about it I got on with things. I came back from an antique shop in Newcastle in my dad's car and went via the dealership where to my surprise I saw it parked up on the embankment near to the road. I thought to myself "I am going to find out what the price is". I could not find it on the dealers website but found it on PistonHeads.

Guess what the price was? Yep....£1,793!

Have I been robbed? Or is the Part Exchange price always different to and significantly lower than the retail price?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...o/renault-clio-1-2-16v-expression-3dr/2880901

You've been raped mate ... Go raise hell

On top of the part ex price they give you, they will spend at least £400 on servicing and mot. Given its an 04 plate Clio it will need at least that if not more to make sure its in a retailable condition.

They will also probably need to do some cosmetic work on it.

Finally out of their profit, they will have to pay VAT, heating, electric, wages along with other associated costs.

So out of that grand on top of your part ex price they wont be left with a massive margin.

In short. No you have not been ripped off

On top of the part ex price they give you, they will spend at least £400 on servicing and mot. Given its an 04 plate Clio it will need at least that if not more to make sure its in a retailable condition.

Finally out of their profit, they will have to pay VAT, heating, electric, wages along with other associated costs.

So out of that grand on top of your part ex price they wont be left with a massive margin.

Don't tell us, you "work in the trade".

As you were happy to take the deal, then I presume you considered that the trade in price was reasonable?

Evans Halshaw may well have had to do some rerpairs to your old vehicle to make it sale worthy AND they will probably give the new owner a warranty.

How much wud it have cost you if you had done all necessary repairs, got it tested, touched paintwork up AND offered a new owner a warranty??

Whoever buys your old car is unlikely to pay more than £1400. The screen price is very rarely the selling price.

Overall, you have done OK I reckon.

He did the mot and service

Mine was listed for £1500 more than my trade in but they had to fix a big dent to front bumper , scratch right along boot , bad scratch on drivers door and realign it after wind caught and buckled the hinge

Oh and fix the aircon - they deserve every penny they can get

As part of standards, EH will still service and MOT the car before sale. I have taken countless cars in which have been serviced a couple of weeks or months before, but we still do it again

As part of standards, EH will still service and MOT the car before sale. I have taken countless cars in which have been serviced a couple of weeks or months before, but we still do it again

I need to ring david James about mine , said it had been serviced when I bought it in June but service light came on couple of weeks ago - I'm hoping they'll just reset the system

I need to ring david James about mine , said it had been serviced when I bought it in June but service light came on couple of weeks ago - I'm hoping they'll just reset the system
Probably, biggest bug bear of mine bloody service lights not being reset along with them not stamping the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back