RR Pedigree Or Premium - Congerton's Struggles With Conflicting Remits

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem surprised that a site written by SAFC supporters is pro SAFC.

Strange.

I prefer reading articles where the author can take off his red and white spectacles off and comment on the situation as it is. Chris Young from the Echo wrote an article yesterday that could be viewed as 'negative', you don't have to brown nose the club constantly.

It was always going to be a difficult summer. Like @Flash Gordon has said people judging him already are being daft.

Here we go again with this.......anyone judging him as a failure already is a fool....HOWEVER, there's nothing wrong with evaluating what he's achieved so far and making an interim judgement. It happens to most of us at work.

I said exactly the same about di Fanti.......you can make an early evaluation and it can be critical.....most of us are football mad and we do know a decent player from a poor or average one.

Just giving someone time doesn't make them good at their job........those who are unsure of his effectiveness have every right to feel that way.....he was appointed by the same people responsible for last summer's debacle and the best way of judging future performance is normally to look back at past performance.............until something changes.

If he does fail however someone higher up the food chain needs to accept their share of the responsibility.....the buck can't keep stopping with the paid minions.

Here we go again with this.......anyone judging him as a failure already is a fool....HOWEVER, there's nothing wrong with evaluating what he's achieved so far and making an interim judgement. It happens to most of us at work.

I said exactly the same about di Fanti.......you can make an early evaluation and it can be critical.....most of us are football mad and we do know a decent player from a poor or average one.

Just giving someone time doesn't make them good at their job........those who are unsure of his effectiveness have every right to feel that way.....he was appointed by the same people responsible for last summer's debacle and the best way of judging future performance is normally to look back at past performance.............until something changes.

If he does fail however someone higher up the food chain needs to accept their share of the responsibility.....the buck can't keep stopping with the paid minions.

I think some are just overly critical of people that have half a squad to replace and have been given a modest budget to do so.

Ignoring the fact that if you judge him purely on the quality of players signed, you're ignoring significant parts of his role, which signings has he had direct involvement in so far that we can evaluate?

I prefer reading articles where the author can take off his red and white spectacles off and comment on the situation as it is. Chris Young from the Echo wrote an article yesterday that could be viewed as 'negative', you don't have to brown nose the club constantly.
Personally I agree with most of what has been said this summer, so it's definitely not a case of brown nosing.

They've been very critical of the club in the past, although they massively missjudged the PDC / RDF farce.

I think we have to separate fact from assumption with any judgements we make at the moment.

So far we know that Congerton moved quickly to get some free transfers in, all of whom look decent in preseason and the two outfield players seem a close enough fit to what Gus is looking for in terms of abilities and premier league experience.

Pantilimon is clearly a good keeper although SAFC has a frankly uncanny track record with goalkeepers compared to most other positions.

Van Aanholt seems to be an example of Congerton having a plan B when the Alonso move was dragging too long, and while it's early days he fits what we need, especially his pace.

The Borini move is frustrating but we don't know what the hold up is. But we do know it's not dead so it's possible Congerton is actually doing well to keep us hanging in there.

The other players we need are the ones we know are the hardest to get over the line, and the lack of progress is a worry. But we simply don't know either way whether Congerton is doing a good job or not. We may not know even after the window closes. If the right players come in he may not deserve all the credit and if they don't he may not deserve all the blame.

While I understand the need to get our books "in order", it would be sheer madness to jeopardise our top flight place again.

I think we have to separate fact from assumption with any judgements we make at the moment.

So far we know that Congerton moved quickly to get some free transfers in, all of whom look decent in preseason and the two outfield players seem a close enough fit to what Gus is looking for in terms of abilities and premier league experience.

Pantilimon is clearly a good keeper although SAFC has a frankly uncanny track record with goalkeepers compared to most other positions.

Van Aanholt seems to be an example of Congerton having a plan B when the Alonso move was dragging too long, and while it's early days he fits what we need, especially his pace.

The Borini move is frustrating but we don't know what the hold up is. But we do know it's not dead so it's possible Congerton is actually doing well to keep us hanging in there.

The other players we need are the ones we know are the hardest to get over the line, and the lack of progress is a worry. But we simply don't know either way whether Congerton is doing a good job or not. We may not know even after the window closes. If the right players come in he may not deserve all the credit and if they don't he may not deserve all the blame.
The Borini situation is easy. He thinks he should be at a higher profile club than us. He said as much last season.

You seem surprised that a site written by SAFC supporters is pro SAFC.

Strange.

Shocking, eh!

We had a full week of absolutely butchering the club not long ago, like. About a week before we started beating everyone to stop up. :lol:

Ignoring the fact that if you judge him purely on the quality of players signed, you're ignoring significant parts of his role, which signings has he had direct involvement in so far that we can evaluate?

There's two aspects to the performance of the team on the pitch......one is down to the manager and the other is down to the quality of players he's provided with. If Congeton doesn't have the tools at his disposal to bring players to the club who can improve us then it's the fault of those above him for not being realistic about the market they're operating in. If the players he's bringing in are ALL Poyet's choice and we fail then it's down to the manager. If he's been given a budget by Short and he's exercising discretion over who we sign and for what price then he bears a lot of responsibility. Until his EXACT role in player recruitment is known it's difficult to know exactly who to blame if things turn out in a less than satisfactory manner.

There's two aspects to the performance of the team on the pitch......one is down to the manager and the other is down to the quality of players he's provided with. If Congeton doesn't have the tools at his disposal to bring players to the club who can improve us then it's the fault of those above him for not being realistic about the market they're operating in. If the players he's bringing in are ALL Poyet's choice and we fail then it's down to the manager. If he's been given a budget by Short and he's exercising discretion over who we sign and for what price then he bears a lot of responsibility. Until his EXACT role in player recruitment is known it's difficult to know exactly who to blame if things turn out in a less than satisfactory manner.

Exactly, yet you think you are in a position to evaluate how he's doing in his role.

Agree with that. My article is basically questioning whether or not the club are actually giving Congerton the tools to meet Poyet's demands of him.

I have no idea what is "brown nosing" about that unless Lee Congerton was my dad or something, but meh.

Well i personally think he did well out of safc
:neutral:;)

I'm sure he did!

Agree with that. My article is basically questioning whether or not the club are actually giving Congerton the tools to meet Poyet's demands of him.

I have no idea what is "brown nosing" about that unless Lee Congerton was my dad or something, but meh.

I'm sure he did!
Like Drumaville previously being surprised about wage demands, I reckon Short has been surprised by the increase in transfer fees/wage demands cause of the new tv money, and the original budget doesn't fit in with.

Like Drumaville previously being surprised about wage demands, I reckon Short has been surprised by the increase in transfer fees/wage demands cause of the new tv money, and the original budget doesn't fit in with.

Yeah I agree. Borini bid proves we are willing to spend I think and Poyet's new deal suggests we planned to, but the market is crazier than ever this summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back