Pink Floyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking forward to it, but post Waters Floyd has very little edge and every song is just a lead up to a Glimour solo. The new album is supposed to be more ambient, apparently they are going for a pre Dark Side sound.

Anyone hear the album Gilmour did with The Orb?

Gilmour's biggest problem is that he's no songwriter and the post-Waters albums were written with outside writers including his wife.

The songs are fine but they needed some edge and whether he liked it or not, Waters was the ideas man and Gilmour's role was to make them sound great.

Selfish bastards want to kiss and make up so they can tour again before they snuff it/get dementia

Probably controversial. but I found the 'Final Cut' album to be the last good/great Floyd album.
I also rated the 3 Roger Waters solo studio albums very highly.
Just a shame they can not work together anymore, and I hope they don't tour again as the Floyd as I'd have to spend a lot of hard earned money to go to (probably) London to see them. Couldn't let it pass without going though.

Have to say, I've seen the artwork and it's one of the most boring covers ever.

Remember when they'd produce album covers that were seen as classics?

Only one track on the new album has any vocal on it. A small snippet has already been released on the official site.

Gilmour's biggest problem is that he's no songwriter and the post-Waters albums were written with outside writers including his wife.

The songs are fine but they needed some edge and whether he liked it or not, Waters was the ideas man and Gilmour's role was to make them sound great.
This is more or less the correct assessment, though when they were truly great Wright was in on it too.

Like the rest of Floyd's post Waters stuff this album will sound exactly like a Gilmour solo effort. Final Cut was indulgent rubbish for the most part but that band still needs that voice to make it work imho.
Division Bell is excellent IMHO. Nothing will beat WYWH or Animals though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back