Policing at the Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's an interesting point, and one I accept. Could I have written it better? Absolutely. There isn't a single thing I've ever written, and I'm well into my thousands now for published work, that I've thought I 100% nailed. 'Vitriol raining down from the stands' was dramatic prose, but it's open to interpretation. I wasn't trying to say that Kevin Ball was ever a prolonged hate-figure at Sunderland and I never did day that.Back in the day, without internet and technology to spread sentiment, abuse from the terraces tended to be quite fleeting, far more spontaneous, and often quite localised depending on where you were in the ground.

I absolutely stand by my memory and I clearly remember a spell when Kevin Ball was unpopular and drew angry, often hostile reactions during games shortly after he had been moved into midfield.

However, I do accept that it could have been phrased better. In all honesty, the anecdote was used as a vehicle to emphasise the main point of the piece, which was to draw comparisons between Seb Larsson's adaptation and evolution into a central midfield player of genuine influence and Kevin Ball's similar journey. So, in that regard, yes, the language was more dramatic than it would have been otherwise. There is a balance to be found with these things between the object of the piece and the emphasis of the anecdote that underlines it, and I probably misjudged that one. Not by much, mind you, but sufficiently to skewer the read.

Of course, this isn't anything I've not tried to explain before, so I reject your premise that it would have been forgotten about. Certain people on this message board - and I'll stress that here and members from here is the only place I've encountered anger and outrage of any kind on the piece - will only accept one explanation from me, even to the point where they will hijack a thread about supporter safety, which is: 'I deliberately lied to make Sunderland fans look bad to the Newcastle newspaper I've sold-out to'. Until they get that explanation, which they won't because it's fundamentally untrue in every regard, they'll continue to hurl abuse. That's their issue, though, not mine.
Four paragraphs is a very long winded way to say maybe you got it wrong. And you wonder why people take the piss?

Four paragraphs is a very long winded way to say maybe you got it wrong. And you wonder why people take the piss?

That's nowt compared to some people taking about four weeks and counting to tell me I definitely got it wrong. :lol:

Who cares anyway, man? It was ages ago and no one has been hurt and reputations of those who matter are in tact. Surely not important enough an issue to hijack a thread about safety advice, or so you'd have thought.

:lol:

That's nowt compared to some people taking about four weeks and counting to tell me I definitely got it wrong. :lol:

Who cares anyway, man? It was ages ago and no one has been hurt and reputations of those who matter are in tact. Surely not important enough an issue to hijack a thread about safety advice, or so you'd have thought.
dude , ffs

Was awful tbh. I let them spend time with kids on their own and have free access to my computers etc. They knew it was tosh before they arrived which helped

This explains mant posts

f***ing hell

There is an undercurrent to this place that I'm glad I seem to have escaped

It's because people treat it as a real place that it begins.

It's an online message board

This explains mant posts

It's because people treat it as a real place that it begins.

It's an online message board
:lol:

you actually think that they did nothing in that four weeks other than think about you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back