Post a pic of your axe

Looks nice. Whats the action it like?
It is a very very nice guitar but to be honest it is in a case on top of the wardrobe and hardly sees the light of day. I used to keep it out until we had another kid and I didn't want to have it damaged as it is a very very pretty guitar. They make excellent guitars. The neck is smooth and they are allegedly fast but my fingers not so!!

I've never played a Strat, I find the neck on my LP a little on the thick side, causes me a few problems occasionally. Do you own or have you ever played an Ibanez?

Where I don't get on with Strats is the bridge and the height of the strings off the body. I like to be able to rest me hand on the bridge of Gibson style guitars and not having that lump of plastic right under the strings. I also find the volume knob to be in a crap place and I inevitable turn the bugger down when strumming away. Aye, I dint get on with Strats like. :lol:

Tempted like, but ideally I want one with a slotted headstock, just for the aesthetics of it. :lol:

Looks nice. Whats the action it like?
It is a very very nice guitar but to be honest it is in a case on top of the wardrobe and hardly sees the light of day. I used to keep it out until we had another kid and I didn't want to have it damaged as it is a very very pretty guitar. They make excellent guitars. The neck is smooth and they are allegedly fast but my fingers not so!!

One of the smoothest, fastest necks I've ever picked up was a 2nd hand Ibanez - shreddy/ fat-stratty type one in Newcastle. Not really my kind of thing at all but it felt nice. Could quickly appreciate why the widdlers like them so much.

I've always thought it was a bit bollocks when you see blokes switching guitars for every song at a gig. Obviously some guitars have a signature sound but with today's technology, pedals, modeling amps etc you could 'almost' get any guitar to sound how you want and this proves it.
People like Townshend or Clapton have gone through phases of only using one guitar over another but they all sound the same in the end. Townshend has gone through SGs, Les Pauls, Scechter Teles and now seems settled on Strats but I don't recall his solos being noticeably different.

You can definitely hear the difference in Clapton's work, so on that note I'll have to disagree with you.

Last edited:
I've never played a Strat, I find the neck on my LP a little on the thick side, causes me a few problems occasionally. Do you own or have you ever played an Ibanez?

I've got an Epiphone Les Paul and it has the Asymetric (sp?) neck - D shaped on the bass side and C shaped on the treble. Works pretty well and makes the neck seem slimmer than expected.

I am afer a new acoustic like. Will have about £700 to play around with. Have a Jumbo Takamine at the moment and hate it.

I bought a K Yairi second hand a few months back, cost me 220 quid and is absolutely superb - all made in Gifu, Japan, not sure they are easy to get in the UK as there wasn't an importer last time I looked and as K Yairi has just died they have probably become collectible. You might want to pm Hank Silver (I think) as he is involved in Auden guitars which seem very nice (disclaimer - never played one just seen them on the interweb)

Fender AVRI 57 Strat

Logon or register to see this image

I've got one of the (very) cheap versions of one of that those I use to practice with, I quite like them,nice looking guitars.

Wife's going off it because I bought this.

I don't even like the vee style but it was brand new, unwrapped, and too cheap not to get.:oops:

Think it will end off on ebay or gumtree.

Just wish I could play the bloody things, I'd have more chance of her not moaning.I keep telling her that all of them together didn't cost anywhere near as much as my last set of golf clubs.

I think I am done with the Jumbos like. Proper fancied a Martin D-15 until I saw the price. I like the unvarnished type of finish.
Do it mate you won't regret it, save up and get the one you really want!
http://www.thomann.de/gb/martin_guitars_d15m_nt.htm

Guilds were toppa in the late seventies and now on a resurgence..my Guild D25 (apologies for reposting)

I waited and waited and eventually got the guitar I really wanted..Martin D-28

Made in USA! Their geetars are getting great ratings now? What do you think?

Aren't they the Guild Acoustic Research line which I think are USA designed but China made?

I think I am done with the Jumbos like. Proper fancied a Martin D-15 until I saw the price. I like the unvarnished type of finish.

Faith do a 'naked' series of unfinished guitars - played a couple over the years and they were canny but not that easy to get in China so I stopped looking for them only to find a dealer had opened right after I bought an Acoustic (I think they are Patrick Eggle designed).

Aren't they the Guild Acoustic Research line which I think are USA designed but China made?

Faith do a 'naked' series of unfinished guitars - played a couple over the years and they were canny but not that easy to get in China so I stopped looking for them only to find a dealer had opened right after I bought an Acoustic (I think they are Patrick Eggle designed).
Guild Acoustic Design or GAD models are made in Asia, but all the standard series guitars are made in Hartford, Connecticut

Back