"Pre season results don't matter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Think some people are underestimating the difference having a proper manager for a whole season will make. We threw away a lot of last season with tactics that were an absolute travesty and still finished 16th. With a couple of good additions over the next month I think we can exceed that.
The signing of Lens clearly addresses a major failing and that's a good start.

We'll be coming up against much better opposition than Doncaster though. Without an injection of quality, especially in midfield, it's going to be the same old shite. In 4 friendlies against reasonable opposition we've managed 3 goals and failed to score in 2 of them. We've failed to score many in the last couple of seasons. I don't see any reason why that would all change in the next 9 days.
It's going to be a struggle, but what were people expecting to happen? We're not going to turn into Brazil 70 in one window. We've addressed a couple of weaknesses & are working on the others.

My point is that it's easy to look at the result from last nights result from a distance & draw assumptions - but we really should have scored a shite load. If we'd have converted half the chances we made it wouldn't have made everything rosey, missing them doesn't mean everythings shite.

Think some people are underestimating the difference having a proper manager for a whole season will make. We threw away a lot of last season with tactics that were an absolute travesty and still finished 16th. With a couple of good additions over the next month I think we can exceed that.
The signing of Lens clearly addresses a major failing and that's a good start.

And maybe it's going to take that manager being in place for more than one season. No wonder we struggle with FFP having to shift the previous regimes shite on all the time.

Not so marra. It's perfectly legit for me as a fan to worry that the club are making mistakes, or that the footy won't improve, or we may lose our place in the premiership, or the squad isn't improving.

Yes I personally can't affect policy and performance, but I haven't invested 50 odd years in this club without earning the right to worry about the competence of those who can.

Worry away marra, I won't

Pre season games don't matter at all. It's like tapping an ugly lass. These situations are their to build your fitness and stamina up, and to hopefully work on knocking your mistakes on the head.
If you come to early or slip out of position (note Billy jones) it doesn't matter as long as you don't do it on the important date.
not trying to sound like Holloway but how many players use the phrase " I didn't get a proper preseason under my belt" note the phrase under my belt. That's where the phrase came from.

Newsflash: We don't get any points for a result. There might be still a couple of signings to come in, and Doncaster will've been up for it, unlike us. I've never seen us go for it 100% in a preseason friendly.

P.S Please refrain from the bad language, you bellend.
What are you a nun or something ?
" bollocks " is bad language ?

Last edited:
Preseason results mean nowt. Fact
So why, when the season goes tits up do so many on here cite that as a reason for failure. Oh he missed pre season, or he'll be better with a pre season under his belt. Only yesterday they were saying that about Rodwell. If it's not important don't us it as an excuse. The team is way under par for this league, we have money to spend (so they say) but we can't spend it because we haven't got rid of the umpteen players that nobody wants, including us AND Mr Shorts baby FFP regulations won't allow it.

I think the point og the thread , and its a very good one , we are two players better offcthan the shit side we had last season , dicks talk about " this club should never be in this position again and 4or5 quality players are what is needed " must have gone in one ear and out of the other , we have bought one quality player and with 10days to go to the start of the new season we are STILL in this position.

I think the point og the thread , and its a very good one , we are two players better offcthan the shit side we had last season , dicks talk about " this club should never be in this position again and 4or5 quality players are what is needed " must have gone in one ear and out of the other , we have bought one quality player and with 10days to go to the start of the new season we are STILL in this position.

Dick shares the hopes and vison of the fans, he is totally blameless.

We are f***ing shambolic at player recruitment, and we are f***ing shambolic at moving crap on, it's f***ing simple.

I cannot think of one other established premier league team that make it look as f***ing complex as us, it is f***ing woeful.

It's going to be a struggle, but what were people expecting to happen? We're not going to turn into Brazil 70 in one window. We've addressed a couple of weaknesses & are working on the others.

My point is that it's easy to look at the result from last nights result from a distance & draw assumptions - but we really should have scored a shite load. If we'd have converted half the chances we made it wouldn't have made everything rosey, missing them doesn't mean everythings shite.

I was expecting our midfield to be sorted as a matter of priority.

Pre-season friendly results do mean absolutely fuck all tho. I assumed everybody knew that.

They don't, but does that mean we cannot put some effort in and try to win. Try to show the supposed Premiership quality we have in the team (do we fuck). How about, just entertaining the fans who travel around the world singing their teams praises only to see them get humped every f***ing game off 2 bit teams. It's pathetic.

So why, when the season goes tits up do so many on here cite that as a reason for failure. Oh he missed pre season, or he'll be better with a pre season under his belt. Only yesterday they were saying that about Rodwell. If it's not important don't us it as an excuse. The team is way under par for this league, we have money to spend (so they say) but we can't spend it because we haven't got rid of the umpteen players that nobody wants, including us AND Mr Shorts baby FFP regulations won't allow it.
Did you miss the word results in his post?

Missing pre-season has an effect on a players fitness & sharpness. Results in the games they play have no impact.

They don't, but does that mean we cannot put some effort in and try to win. Try to show the supposed Premiership quality we have in the team (do we fuck). How about, just entertaining the fans who travel around the world singing their teams praises only to see them get humped every f***ing game off 2 bit teams. It's pathetic.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Slight over-exaggeration imo marra. They are glorified training sessions. Nothing more, nothing less.

Before I start irrationally panicking I bet people are worrying about the resources available to Dick. You needn't be, he wasn't unhappy with Mags, Congerton, Ellis...

Re: Sauces

Whats with the lack of Ketchup in the canteen, fuming here.

Regards

Dick

Dick shares the hopes and vison of the fans, he is totally blameless.

We are f***ing shambolic at player recruitment, and we are f***ing shambolic at moving crap on, it's f***ing simple.

I cannot think of one other established premier league team that make it look as f***ing complex as us, it is f***ing woeful.

This. The mistake after mistake with regards to recruitment and contracts has got us in this position. Giving Connor Wickham an extra £20k per week on the strength of him scoring 4 in 6 at the end of a season where he'd been loaned out twice as deemed not good enough then recalled out of desperation is mental for a start.

This. The mistake after mistake with regards to recruitment and contracts has got us in this position. Giving Connor Wickham an extra £20k per week on the strength of him scoring 4 in 6 at the end of a season where he'd been loaned out twice as deemed not good enough then recalled out of desperation is mental for a start.

You really could not make it up mate, it is genuinely crackers.

FFP is not a new consideration, so why are we hamstrung again? Why can we not shift lads on, and if we knew there would be an issue with getting new lads in with so many on the books, wht was Brown given a new contract, O'Shea extended, Wickham etc etc, it just defies f***ing belief.

Also, who is responsible for thinning out the dross?

I totally understand financial constraints, but we keep compounding the problem, and then crying about it, f***ing hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back