"Pre season results don't matter"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about this pre-season that has people worried isn't the results, surely that's obvious. It's the fact that this team that has largely played together for a while and has been added to with a couple of better players still can't string a couple of passes together or create a decent attacking move even against a team two divisions below us. It's really not the fact we got beat, it's the fact there is nothing there that shows a game-plan for the fast-approaching season. There is no creativity, no movement off the ball with players who have the ball knowing instinctively where his mates have moved to to receive his pass. There is no strategy or cohesion, they are not playing like a coached team but as individual players who having received the ball have no prior idea what they are going to do with it.

If we'd seen say, Lens tearing down the wing with the midfield charging through the middle ready for a cross coming in we'd know it was an experiment to see if we had players who could play like that. If we'd seen a patient build-up with pass and move football and an attempt at a through-ball to someone who looked like they've been expecting it we'd see it as useful practice but what we've seen is just a run-about with nothing better than what we saw most of last season. If we'd even played the kids at least we'd understand that Dick is having a look at his options but I see nothing that's helped us improve. I didn't see the game last night but I did get out of bed at 3 to watch them against Pachuca and it sounded the same last night.

This might be forgivable at the start of a close season but not at the end of it, most people say that a pre-season tour is valuable but we haven't taken advantage of it.

The thing about this pre-season that has people worried isn't the results, surely that's obvious. It's the fact that this team that has largely played together for a while and has been added to with a couple of better players still can't string a couple of passes together or create a decent attacking move even against a team two divisions below us. It's really not the fact we got beat, it's the fact there is nothing there that shows a game-plan for the fast-approaching season. There is no creativity, no movement off the ball with players who have the ball knowing instinctively where his mates have moved to to receive his pass. There is no strategy or cohesion, they are not playing like a coached team but as individual players who having received the ball have no prior idea what they are going to do with it.

If we'd seen say, Lens tearing down the wing with the midfield charging through the middle ready for a cross coming in we'd know it was an experiment to see if we had players who could play like that. If we'd seen a patient build-up with pass and move football and an attempt at a through-ball to someone who looked like they've been expecting it we'd see it as useful practice but what we've seen is just a run-about with nothing better than what we saw most of last season. If we'd even played the kids at least we'd understand that Dick is having a look at his options but I see nothing that's helped us improve. I didn't see the game last night but I did get out of bed at 3 to watch them against Pachuca and it sounded the same last night.

This might be forgivable at the start of a close season but not at the end of it, most people say that a pre-season tour is valuable but we haven't taken advantage of it.

This. It's all well and good having Lens beating his man and delivering but we have no strikers with movement, never mind midfielders within 20 yards of the ball

It's not about results, it's about preparation. Unfortunately we don't seem to be doing any preparation. Players who've been here years look like they've just met and they've forgotten what a ball looks like. I'd be very surprised if Dick was tossing it off, so that leaves the usual suspects.

Embarrassing that people think congerton is choosing not to buy players. The funds clearly aren't there. That isn't congertons fault and Advocaat would do no difference.

Ha, so you're accusing us of not creating decent moves in a game you didn't watch?

This forum man.

I agree with the OP. I'm sick to death of the way this football club is being run. Our team last year was absolutely woeful and Short seems to be content with doing the bare minimum to appease the fans every summer.

Look at Villa this summer. Lerner was very close to seeing his club get relegated and he has realised just how real that possibility has become so they have addressed the situation by snapping up some of Europe's hottest talent. Our starting XI is more or less the same as last year and it's not f***ing good enough.

This. The mistake after mistake with regards to recruitment and contracts has got us in this position. Giving Connor Wickham an extra £20k per week on the strength of him scoring 4 in 6 at the end of a season where he'd been loaned out twice as deemed not good enough then recalled out of desperation is mental for a start.
Totally agree. I'd also say signing Coates on the back of a few good games at the end of the season as well but happy to be proved wrong on that one.

O'Shea's new contract - thought he had a decent season for the most part and happy to see him stay on, but assuming he hasn't taken a wage cut he will be earning the same as a knackered 36 year old as he was when he signed at 30. Crazy.

So why, when the season goes tits up do so many on here cite that as a reason for failure. Oh he missed pre season, or he'll be better with a pre season under his belt. Only yesterday they were saying that about Rodwell. If it's not important don't us it as an excuse. The team is way under par for this league, we have money to spend (so they say) but we can't spend it because we haven't got rid of the umpteen players that nobody wants, including us AND Mr Shorts baby FFP regulations won't allow it.
Preseason is important for fitness but not results. Remember there is no points on offer

I agree with the OP. I'm sick to death of the way this football club is being run. Our team last year was absolutely woeful and Short seems to be content with doing the bare minimum to appease the fans every summer.

Look at Villa this summer. Lerner was very close to seeing his club get relegated and he has realised just how real that possibility has become so they have addressed the situation by snapping up some of Europe's hottest talent. Our starting XI is more or less the same as last year and it's not f***ing good enough.

by spending the money they have received for benteke and delph

No, I said I'd watched one match and it sounded the same in the other one

This forum man
No you didn't, you specfically critised our inability to create chances last night & then admitted you didn't watch it. You're having a pop at the club over a performance you didn't watch. Its pathetic.

Preseason is important for fitness but not results. Remember there is no points on offer

Isn't it also to find out which style suits the available team best, to maybe try something creative or something new or do we have to wait until the results do actually matter before we try that? You're right about the results, but I think everyone agrees with you on that one.

They dont but I can see what the lad is saying. It's evident that the exact same problems exist, that our midfield has zero gumption with regards to doing anything in the opposition half.

Watching them doing exactly the same thing - playing in front of the opposition defence, breaking at snail pace and giving the ball away cheaply time-after-time, week-after-week is one of the most frustrating things I've known and renders us the easiest side to defend against. Look at what Villa and Palace did to us last year, it was by no means tactical mastery, it was simply getting the back 4 and defensive midfielders holding a line and remaining close together before breaking with pace and mullering us.

Without an increase in quality in midfield then, as the whole football world knows, we will struggle again.
I think we all know we need some quality in the middle, Dick and Congerton will know that as-well. But I can't understand someone losing it just because we lost a friendly.

The real stuff starts next weekend.

Isn't it also to find out which style suits the available team best, to maybe try something creative or something new or do we have to wait until the results do actually matter before we try that? You're right about the results, but I think everyone agrees with you on that one.
Totally agree

No you didn't, you specfically critised our inability to create chances last night & then admitted you didn't watch it. You're having a pop at the club over a performance you didn't watch. Its pathetic.

I take it you saw the game then. How did they do mate?

Totally agree. I'd also say signing Coates on the back of a few good games at the end of the season as well but happy to be proved wrong on that one.

O'Shea's new contract - thought he had a decent season for the most part and happy to see him stay on, but assuming he hasn't taken a wage cut he will be earning the same as a knackered 36 year old as he was when he signed at 30. Crazy.

Wasn't it Einstein who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

We need a midfielder in before Leicester as we simply can't afford to not go into our first few games giving ourselves the best possible chance of getting points

Wasn't it Einstein who said insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

We need a midfielder in before Leicester as we simply can't afford to not go into our first few games giving ourselves the best possible chance of getting points
Not sure we'll get one as it's looking like it will have to be a loan which is unlikely until the end oof the window

Not sure we'll get one as it's looking like it will have to be a loan which is unlikely until the end oof the window

That's the thing though mate. We have, probably the best start to a season since our return to the league and look to be going into it with the same midfield ability as the past three where we didn't start playing until April.

Our problem has obviously been scoring goals and this lot simply don't have the ability to get the ball in-behind.

That's the thing though mate. We have, probably the best start to a season since our return to the league and look to be going into it with the same midfield ability as the past three where we didn't start playing until April.

Our problem has obviously been scoring goals and this lot simply don't have the ability to get the ball in-behind.
I know....... there's a chance we'll piss away the easy fixtures we've been handed. We dont create much although lens looks the part but even if the forwards keep up with him they collectively couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo

I take it you saw the game then. How did they do mate?
Played with a lack of intensity & made a few really bad errors in defence which were punished. A typical pre season game.

However we did create some excellent chances & some of the moves (all involving Lens) were played with exactly the kind of pace & incision we'd been lacking previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back