Pro's and Con's of sacking off a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderer

Striker
Currently running two cars, but in October the wife will be able to get on the insurance of the main car so considering sacking the 2nd car off and starting using bus/metro to work.

Bus from Tunstall Village green to park lane, then metro to Heworth/Felling and then 10 minute walk from there. Probably just over an hours journey.

I'm trying to convince myself it's a good idea, is it? Recon we'd save £150 a month. Anyone use public transport, or is it full if stinking weird people? Every time I've got a metro I seem to attract the local lunatic, am I just unlucky or is the system full of them?

Also think it's a good move as I could get a few drinks in after work without worrying about putting the car in a ditch on the A19.

I used to use the metro and to be honest it's fine during rush hour peak travel.

I would live close enough to my work to get a metro

Bus from there and then metro? Fuck that.

Used to get the metro to Newcastle but I lived 10 mins walk from SoL. If i'd had to get another form of public transport first I wouldn't have bothered.

Public transport in the north is is pretty shite.

Used to get the metro to Newcastle but I lived 10 mins walk from SoL. If i'd had to get another form of public transport first I wouldn't have bothered.

The metro is fine. It's pretty reliable.

Not a chance i would use a bus like

£150 a month would be a clincher for me if I was called The Wanderer. Get it saved and get wandering, marra.

As an aside, would you bump this in January?

It's 30 seconds walk to a bus stop on either Burdon road or Tunstall village green straight to park lane.

£150 a month would be a clincher for me if I was called The Wanderer. Get it saved and get wandering, marra.

As an aside, would you bump this in January?
With the £150 saved a month I could invest in a decent jacket and umbrella.

Bit of cold and rain doesn't bother me.

Currently running two cars, but in October the wife will be able to get on the insurance of the main car so considering sacking the 2nd car off and starting using bus/metro to work.

Bus from Tunstall Village green to park lane, then metro to Heworth/Felling and then 10 minute walk from there. Probably just over an hours journey.

I'm trying to convince myself it's a good idea, is it? Recon we'd save £150 a month. Anyone use public transport, or is it full if stinking weird people? Every time I've got a metro I seem to attract the local lunatic, am I just unlucky or is the system full of them?

Also think it's a good move as I could get a few drinks in after work without worrying about putting the car in a ditch on the A19.

Sacked off one car earlier this year. Love the walk/mwro. Get a bit of exercise ad some reading. Metro is great if you get a seat.

I prefer it to driving especially early morning, 150 a month is fine as long as you don't just waste it and not feel any benefit from it, surely it'll be more than that anyhow with insurance tax and repairs included?

With the £150 saved a month I could invest in a decent jacket and umbrella.

Bit of cold and rain doesn't bother me.

£150 a month is £1800 over the year. Have you already subtracted travel costs?

Weigh up the pros and cons, with the cons being:

1. Less flexibility over travel to and from work, planning your routine around the bus times
2. Increase travel time - how might this piss you off?
3. Getting to and from work on days when there is no service.

The travelline North East journey planner is a cracking tool

The metros fine, I used to get it from south hylton to the snug factory (close to where you work I believe) everyday for 8 years. Only thing to consider is that you will end up being late for work sometimes due to the metros unreliability. What are your work like when it comes to time keeping?

I prefer it to driving especially early morning, 150 a month is fine as long as you don't just waste it and not feel any benefit from it, surely it'll be more than that anyhow with insurance tax and repairs included?
2nd car costing £120 finance, £50 insurance, and about £100 saved in fuel, probably more. Recon I'd save more than £150 a month when I really think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back