Pro's and Con's of sacking off a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currently running two cars, but in October the wife will be able to get on the insurance of the main car so considering sacking the 2nd car off and starting using bus/metro to work.

Bus from Tunstall Village green to park lane, then metro to Heworth/Felling and then 10 minute walk from there. Probably just over an hours journey.

I'm trying to convince myself it's a good idea, is it? Recon we'd save £150 a month. Anyone use public transport, or is it full if stinking weird people? Every time I've got a metro I seem to attract the local lunatic, am I just unlucky or is the system full of them?

Also think it's a good move as I could get a few drinks in after work without worrying about putting the car in a ditch on the A19.

I have two cars but rarely use the second one as I cycle to work most days. Tunstall to South Shields in about 35 to 40 minutes and about 45 to 50 minutes the other way. It saves me a few quid in fuel and I'm fit as fuck.

Have you considered using a bike ?

I have two cars but rarely use the second one as I cycle to work most days. Tunstall to South Shields in about 35 to 40 minutes and about 45 to 50 minutes the other way. It saves me a few quid in fuel and I'm fit as fuck.

Have you considered using a bike ?
Funnily enough I've just got my bike back from storage.

Not sure the best route to Felling, may do some test rides.

Funnily enough I've just got my bike back from storage.

Not sure the best route to Felling, may do some test rides.

I used a cycle route planner (can't remember which one) to find the quickest/safest route for me. It came up with a route which was just under 10 mile which was perfect. I ride the same route every day and use Strava on my phone to monitor my progress. It's addictive mind ! I wish I'd done it years ago.

There's a bait wagon and spidz greasy spoon when I've thought about it though! :)

Your gonna need this walk then by the sounds of it :lol:

In all seriousness if you have two cars now but can guarantee that you can use the car that stays to still get out and go on day trips, holidays etc then go for it. If it doesn't work you can always buy another one.

Sounds like your only really saving a little over the amount of your car finance.

I'd rather sell the financed car and get a cheap run around. Still save 120 a month and have the convenience of using a car. I'd get bored of waiting round for buses/metros/ques especially in winter for the sake of saving a few quid.

Sounds like your only really saving a little over the amount of your car finance.

I'd rather sell the financed car and get a cheap run around. Still save 120 a month and have the convenience of using a car. I'd get bored of waiting round for buses/metros/ques especially in winter for the sake of saving a few quid.
The winter would be the clincher for me, no problem with public transport in the fine weather but when you're cold and wet and every fucker is sneezing and wheezing next to you? Cheapie runabout for winter, sell it in spring, get another in late Oct, if you buy wisely it could work out quite cheap I would have thought?

I am thinking surely fuel costs you more than £100 a month going from silksworth/Ryhope or wherever you live to felling 5 days a week?

Couldn't be arsed with losing a car like. Like the freedom if she is out in her motor at work, doing shopping or some shit that I can hop in mine and do my own thing rather than being stuck indoors or waiting for a bus like a bloody pensioner.

Minus 4 pints a day on the way home. That's £200 odd per month.

This^^^ I used to get the metro when I worked in Newcastle from South Hylton - mornings were no problem and when you looked at fuel and parking costs it was a canny bit of savings until I realized I was spending 60quid a week in the pub after work

Ah, gotcha, thought you hadn't already taken bus fare and that in. Well in that case, that's a canny saving and if it can be done with relative ease - go for it. That's nearly £2000 a year, think what you could do with that!

Buy pies would be my guess mate. Lots and lots of pies.

When I worked in central Newcastle I could get into work quicker on the Metro than by car, because of the horrible rush-hour delays on the roads. I'd drive from Whitburn and park up at Sleepers. Get Metro to Central Station and then a two minute walk to work. Entire journey time 30 minutes. Same trip in reverse to get home. If I did the entire trip by car it would probably be a 60 minute journey and then maybe £5 per day car parking charges.

we looked at getting rid of one of the cars with the missus about to go off on a year long maternity leave but with me doing a 110 mile round trip to the office everyday I didn't want to leave her having to piss about with the baby and pram and stuff on public transport - especially in the winter months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back