Rail line to Port of Sunderland to be reopened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well done to Mr. Hunt and Port of Sunderland.

So the rail line will go from the South Dock to where? They would have to divert away from Sunderland train station so they'd lead to somewhere on the outskirts of Hendon and then down the coast????

When we were kids our dad would drive us to the coast when we were bored but he spent more time watching stuff being loaded and unloaded at the docks. Amazing how busy the area was up until the 1990s, hods of cranes, ships etc. Even when we went to Seaburn/Roker/Whitburn there were ships waiting outside the port ready to make berth, sometimes seemed like loads of them on the horizon.

Looks good from this pic.

Logon or register to see this image

It joins the Durham Coast Line behind Grangetown not far from Toll Bar.

It joins the Durham Coast Line behind Grangetown not far from Toll Bar.

Thanks, I'm not up to speed with townie geography as spent most of the time in woollyback country or the coast. We ventured into the town when the snow melted and fatha, granpa and uncle Zed needed a new wife - tended to result in them snareing the same woman ... ;)

Well done to Mr. Hunt and Port of Sunderland.

So the rail line will go from the South Dock to where? They would have to divert away from Sunderland train station so they'd lead to somewhere on the outskirts of Hendon and then down the coast????

When we were kids our dad would drive us to the coast when we were bored but he spent more time watching stuff being loaded and unloaded at the docks. Amazing how busy the area was up until the 1990s, hods of cranes, ships etc. Even when we went to Seaburn/Roker/Whitburn there were ships waiting outside the port ready to make berth, sometimes seemed like loads of them on the horizon.

Looks good from this pic.

do you know where the Sandcastle is at the Toll Bar ? the line comes out roughly there.and joins the main line going down the coast.

I'll take your word for it. Can't see network rail doing it out of the goodness of their hearts like ;)
Quite right and network rail will benefit in the long term. However, Network rail also had a contractual obligation to maintain the line anyway, which they haven't done so they now have to cough up. Network Rail weren't particularly happy about it but the Port/Council had them bang to rights.

Quite right and network rail will benefit in the long term. However, Network rail also had a contractual obligation to maintain the line anyway, which they haven't done so they now have to cough up. Network Rail weren't particularly happy about it but the Port/Council had them bang to rights.

You appear to be quite knowledgeable on the subject. Do work for the Port or just keep abreast of the news?

The South Dock line joined/joins the Durham Coast line at Ryhope Grange Junction (below). You had the main line from Sunderland to Hartlepool via Seaham then two pairs of tracks from South Dock came in, these were called the Hendon lines and the Londonderry lines. The Hendon Lines were the one which is to be reopened but the Londonderry Lines were closed and pulled up about 1968. Also at Ryhope Grange the line to Hartlepool via Murton diverged to the right but it was finally closed in 1995. There are a pair of sidings at Ryhope Grange which allowed trains from Newcastle to reverse and go to South Dock and they will probably need sorting out too.

Ryhope Grange Junction 1905 par PinzaC55, on ipernity

The South Dock line joined/joins the Durham Coast line at Ryhope Grange Junction (below). You had the main line from Sunderland to Hartlepool via Seaham then two pairs of tracks from South Dock came in, these were called the Hendon lines and the Londonderry lines. The Hendon Lines were the one which is to be reopened but the Londonderry Lines were closed and pulled up about 1968. Also at Ryhope Grange the line to Hartlepool via Murton diverged to the right but it was finally closed in 1995. There are a pair of sidings at Ryhope Grange which allowed trains from Newcastle to reverse and go to South Dock and they will probably need sorting out too.

Ryhope Grange Junction 1905 par PinzaC55, on ipernity
I think the sidings are still used when they need to get a goods train off the line to allow a passenger train past.

I think the sidings are still used when they need to get a goods train off the line to allow a passenger train past.

Possibly but the last time I went past on the train they looked really knackered and if I was a train driver I wouldn't be happy about driving there. The South Dock branch is still connected and the signals are working but the track will probs be unsafe and I think it has been tarmacced over at Grangetown Crossing.

Possibly but the last time I went past on the train they looked really knackered and if I was a train driver I wouldn't be happy about driving there. The South Dock branch is still connected and the signals are working but the track will probs be unsafe and I think it has been tarmacced over at Grangetown Crossing.
It'll have been about 7 years ago when I saw a train in the sidings like. Will be be renewing all the track do you reckon or just the really knackered bits?

do you know where the Sandcastle is at the Toll Bar ? the line comes out roughly there.and joins the main line going down the coast.

The Golden Arrow went down that line once. My Grandparents lived in Regent Road and they were having a family dinner, but we all went out into the field opposite their street to watch the Golden Arrow go past. It was a bit late and my Grandma went mental as the Yorkshire Puddings were cooked but nobody was there to eat them :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back