Random away matches: an occasional series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halifax pre-season when we went up second time under Reidy.
Went down to see Steve Bould (God knows why) and were losing 1-0 in an absolutely shocking game.
Managed to be in Bar Centro in Halifax before the final whistle supping ourselves into believing we'd have enough to stop up. :lol:

Only things I recall from that game were Dave Mitchell taking us apart and the start of the spat between Kasey Keller and Goodman. Goodman may have been sent off? Could be my mind playing tricks with me. Went there with the Shields branch, quite a day out!!!

That was a couple of seasons later in mid-week at the New Den. We'd pulled a goal back and Goodman tried to get the ball off Keller for a quick re-start. Keller wouldn't give him it so Big Bad Don give him a slight clip and got sent off. We lost 2-1.

Sheffield United, Easter Monday 1986, worst view from a terrace ever, massive stanchions and fences from a concentration camp

Sheff Utd in 1990. Got absolutely battered off them but they couldn't score, then Gabbiadini scored two late goals to give us a 2-0 win :)

Boro away in 1993. Pre-season testimonial for Gary Hamilton. Fans fighting on the pitch. Then our new signings managed to crash their car on the way home.

Remember this one, got chased through every back lane in the area,mate disappeared and my wife who had driven down to pick us up had cleared off home.
Met up with my mate at some third world bus depot.
Never been to Boro without some kind of drama.

Luton away late seventies.
Coldest day ever, stood waiting an hour and a half for the bus which didn't turn up.
Somebody went off to hire a van, by the time he returned with it, we had been waiting 3 hours.
Piled in to the back of a clapped out Transit with no heater, and set off.
Unable to feel our feet with the cold and pushed for time to get to Luton, someone suggested going to York v Blyth Spartans instead.
Had a vote on it and York won 11 to 1.
Got to York and had a cracking day on the piss, except for the one lad who voted no, who stormed off in a huff to try an hitch a lift to Luton.

That brings back a memory, are you from Shields Gresford St.

Last edited:
02/11/85 Fulham 1 Sunderland 2. I recall there being no back fence on the away stand and a kids footy match going on in the park behind the ground. All the Safc lads were chanting for the kids in red and the ref was getting pelters. :lol:

02/11/85 Fulham 1 Sunderland 2. I recall there being no back fence on the away stand and a kids footy match going on in the park behind the ground. All the Safc lads were chanting for the kids in red and the ref was getting pelters. :lol:

Was there, f***ing freezing it was. Gates late pelantee at our end?

Hell on aftet.You must have been about 8?
It looked like handbags to me, I'd taken my nephews & I was pointing the Hull fans acting up out & laughing at them.

That was the first time I'd heard the 'mauled by the tigers' song, thought it must have been a piss take.

Bolton 1-1 Sunderland, January 2003. Essentially watching two reserve teams, last game of Mark Rossiter's career. Super Kev equalised for us.

Birmingham 0-0 Sunderland circa 1993.
Nowt happened, highlight of the match was when a player was injured and Don Goodman sat on the ball while waiting and got lots of abuse from the home fans on the Kop.
He then span round while sitting on the ball and faced them. That was it, nowt else although Gordon Armstrong may have put a sitter over from about 5 yards at the far end.
Oh and a fight in the pub on the corner pre match whereby the bandit landed on me.

I was there and as you say, that is all I can rememeber as well.

My random away game is around the same time. Notts County away in the what I think was the Zenith Data Systems Cup?

I can't even remember the score but it went to penalties with Sunderland supporters wanting anyone to win by the end because it was so f***ing cold!!

I believe we did eventually win it?

It looked like handbags to me, I'd taken my nephews & I was pointing the Hull fans acting up out & laughing at them.

That was the first time I'd heard the 'mauled by the tigers' song, thought it must have been a piss take.

Obviously I say "hell on" in the smb sense of the word.Pretty sure I saw a plastic.bottle launched and some pointing outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back