religion. what is the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
God can create the universe, our planet, and humans, and angels.
God can destroy whoever or whatever he wants, and has done before.
Yet, he is happy to cast an angel out to become the devil to inflict untold suffering on his creation?
Why not just disapear /kill /uncreate the angel that rebelled? He orders that we kill those who rebel etc, so why not do what he preached?

god does something you approve of , like helping you find your car keys = god is an all loving god.

god does something appalling like killing every first born child in Egypt = god moves in mysterious ways.

If there is a god, there may or may not be (but I think it wont be any god that we are taught about, more likely some alien race/creature) then Im sure it would move in ways that are mysterious to us.

If I had my old head back I could probably make a fortune setting up a new religion, and do the world some good....
Its about time the public were controlled by a religion that lost all the old fashioned stupidness, that concentrated on helping, caring and sharing.
But my concentration and writing skills suck these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Personally I don't care in the slightest what you believe, I care what you can prove.
You can't prove anything about what exists outside of our universe, however I've got my reasons for believing in God.

god does something you approve of , like helping you find your car keys = god is an all loving god.

god does something appalling like killing every first born child in Egypt = god moves in mysterious ways.
Again that's absolute bollocks, this isn't God's world we're living in I promise you that much

Scientific experiments can be re-tested and redone by anyone with the right experience/kit.
They usually are peer reviewed, and then tested and often improved on further.
Religious views cannot be tested, they cannot be re-created.
Anyone with the experience can discredit a scientific experiment and pronounce it fake, if after publication it cannot be replicated again.
No one can denounce religion as fake, as it cannot be proven in the first place.

The system covers things up, but plenty people knew the truth.
It came out eventually, as most things will when cover ups happen.

The hardware yes, the software no, as not much science in modern software these days.

Unless your talking about islamic teaching, which seems to teach that you should follow the law of the land you are in - as LONG AS IT DOES NOT CONFLICT WITH ISLAMIC LAW.

Problem with that (apart from the obvious, its teaching people to ignore the law of the land when a fairy tale book disagree's) is that peoples interpretations of the teachings in the books varies.
So basically muslims are free in their religion to disregard any law that disagree's with their very own personal interpretation of the books they read.

Stealing can be acceptable under some exceptional circumstances.

Flicked a bible open to a random verse today, cant remember which one it was, but it basically said that slaves should fear their masters, as if they were fearing christ or god.
Slavery is not only acceptable, its taught that slaves should fear their masters?
You dont need evil bible.com you can flick it open and hit random verses like I did today to find stuff that might have made sense thousands of years ago, but was morally wrong even then (just back then moral standards were different) but you would think god would have had a bit more common sense than to condone slavery.
Just regarding your point about religioun and science, it's wrong, obviously double blind studies in science are spot on, but you can't perform a double blind study on the inception of the universe, or even dating techniques which require assumption rather than explicit facts or proof. And there's nothing wrong with a healthy fear and respect of people above you, like your boss or parents.
I think this slavery thing needs to move on like lol, slavery happened in those times, the bible allowed for slaves to be well treated compared to other slaves.
Well done god for showing a bit of pragmatism imo ;)

God has any tool he wants to have availble to him.
He can magic up commandments on stone tablets, part seas, inflict plagues, flood the earth, yet we are expected to believe he cannot give someone simple instructions on what to write? Or write it himself?
Humans are the tools and he does the best he can with us, I thought that was clear. Maybe not ;)

The biggest problem with most of you is it doesn't actually matter what gets said, you'd attack the bible with your dying breath, none of you are actually interested in knowing anything, personally I think you're frightened in case everything in it made sense and you'd have to get out of your comfort zones and live better lives, I see you as the weak minded fools, I'm not trying to be insulting that's just how I see you.

Last edited:
It gave a gadgie the impetus to built a git massive boat and he put two of every single animal in the world on it and then god killed all the rest of the animals. Oh and all the people. It's a true story.

Religion is a funny thing, it means so many different things to so many people. There is no conclusive proof to confirm the existence/non-existence of a higher power. The weight of science and evolution would appear to discount or partially disprove the Bible story of "God" creating the heaven and the earth. The Bible also ignores proven historical fact like Dinosaurs and the Ice Age. The likelihood is that the "Jesus" character was a kindly, selfless man who helped those in need and gave counsel or encouragement to those in need without necessarily performing any actual miracles.

That said, there is more to religion than historical fact, it is about beliefs and faith that there is life after death. It's also about community and belonging, feeling part of something bigger than your own household or personal existence. Many religious people will also be logical and scientific people who acknowledge the lack of historical proof, but decide to retain their faith for the reasons stated previously.

umans are the tools and he does the best he can with us, I thought that was clear. Maybe not ;)

The biggest problem with most of you is it doesn't actually matter what gets said, you'd attack the bible with your dying breath, none of you are actually interested in knowing anything, personally I think you're frightened in case everything in it made sense and you'd have to get out of your comfort zones and live better lives, I see you as the weak minded fools, I'm not trying to be insulting that's just how I see you.

So it's specifically the Christian God you're talking about here, right? Not the 3000+ other ones that are or have been worshipped in recorded history, those others are made up?

We a frightened in case everything in the Bible makes sense????? Yet several posters have been pointing out to you how it doesn't make sense at all!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You can't prove anything about what exists outside of our universe, however I've got my reasons for believing in God.

Again that's absolute bollocks, this isn't God's world we're living in I promise you that much

Just regarding your point about religioun and science, it's wrong, obviously double blind studies in science are spot on, but you can't perform a double blind study on the inception of the universe, or even dating techniques which require assumption rather than explicit facts or proof. And there's nothing wrong with a healthy fear and respect of people above you, like your boss or parents.
I think this slavery thing needs to move on like lol, slavery happened in those times, the bible allowed for slaves to be well treated compared to other slaves.
Well done god for showing a bit of pragmatism imo ;)

Humans are the tools and he does the best he can with us, I thought that was clear. Maybe not ;)

So it's specifically the Christian God you're talking about here, right? Not the 3000+ other ones that are or have been worshipped in recorded history, those others are made up?
No, I think all gods would come back to the original, regardless of what they call him

We a frightened in case everything in the Bible makes sense????? Yet several posters have been pointing out to you how it doesn't make sense at all!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Well not really though which is the problem, they've been trying to show how the bible is wrong, usually in the old testament iirc but failing to actually show anything.

People are easily lead, manipulated. It's in or nature to 'belong' to some group. If you are brought up under a specific religion, it was taught it in school, all your family and friends are the same religion, there's a sense of belonging from that. Similar to football followers, nationalists I suppose.

People want answers. The fact is we don't really know how life started on this planet. That's not good enough for people, the belief that there is some higher power in some way controlling things is comforting I think.

I'm impressed. That was a decent stab at a great answer.

Well not really though which is the problem, they've been trying to show how the bible is wrong, usually in the old testament iirc but failing to actually show anything.
People have been showing how it doesn't make sense - basically it is full of contradictions, very bad morals and logical fallacies, yet you think critics of the bible are somehow scared that they may find out it "makes sense". What you are saying makes as much sense as the bible.

I'm impressed. That was a decent stab at a great answer.

It was a good answer in that it is accurate (in my opinion, anyway).

I still think it is sad that (some) people will adopt a set of beliefs just because it is comforting, no matter how extraordinary those beliefs might be in nature. Of course people are entitled to believe what they wish but I think that it shows laziness. There's nothing wrong with admitting to not knowing something and Origins is an interesting, although very difficult, subject to research.

"You can't prove anything about what exists outside of our universe, however I've got my reasons for believing in God."

We don't know if there is anything "outside our Universe" not that I even know why you bring that point up, except possibly to divert attention that you have no proof of your gods existence. As for your reasons, I have already said that I don't care what you believe, I care what you can prove. If you can't prove that your god exists we have no real dialogue. You might as well tell me about the Harry Potter books.

"Again that's absolute bollocks, this isn't God's world we're living in I promise you that much!

And your promises are meaningless without proof to back them up. I promise you I will give you a million pounds tomorrow in used fivers. Good luck.

Wrong.

I'm interested in knowing what you actually believe, but you won't tell us.

I wonder why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back