Remove decision making from premiership refs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad fact is, it will happen one day but when who f***ing knows? Chances are it will be when it costs one of the big teams chance of silverware or possibly even Champions League etc. I very much doubt they could sue the officials/Premier League but they could possibly kick up a fuss and start moaning about the fact that within seconds a TV replay would have sorted it (this is when the players gan on like lasses with handbags for 30+ seconds scenarios due to dodgy decisions).

There's no denying there are certainly some scenarios that stop the game for at least 30 seconds anyway to allow for a quick review. Things such as goals that were offside/incorrectly given penalty decisions/bookings/sendings off etc that can be decided within seconds of a replay. Fuck throw-ins, corners and goal kicks as that gives time for a team to regroup and shouldn't affect the game as much as those mentioned prior. Unless it's blatantly a mistake that can be reviewed and corrected within seconds then simply go with original decision and let the game proceed without interuption, no harm done. If a player is incorrectly sent off for a 2nd yellow or straight red then why can't he be put back on? Fuck, by the time he would get off the pitch they could have reviewed it and told him to stay on :lol:. Even a yellow card could be rescinded within a short period and then it will allow the incorrectly penalised player to play as he should and not worry about being sent off (Cattermole would f***ing love this!). If an official is over ruled far too many times, even after giving allowance that they will naturally make mistakes due to limited view in real time and just the once, then that will need looking. Very few issues would need correcting anyway and some will understandably be impossible to get correct. There should also be the facility to assist the officials in case they have missed something so they could issue a card for example for someone being a twat on the sly or diving etc. That would soon stop the cheating twats because there's be less opportunity to get away with it.

There are those saying it what about lower level etc? How many other sports are officiated at the same level across the 'playing field' from top to bottom? The top league will always have better officiating as the 'financial' stakes dwarf even the next league in the pyramid, never mind the lower leagues. There's millions alone bet on individual matches so again this will result in 'fairer' payouts I suppose.

Where technology can be used to make a " DEFINITIVE" decision it should be used such as goal line tech or an offside decision where the person who touches the ball is in an offside position. it is not possible to use tech for a situation where the person may be interfering with play as that is totally a subjective point of view.

yesterday opinion was split between whether or not the "Fletcher" incident was a penalty.

all we would be doing in these incidences is changing from the refs view to A.N Others who has been able to review an incident but who still might not come to the decision we want.

currently the only change I would like to see is an independent timekeeper who stops the clock whenever ball is out of play so that we get our 90mins of game time.

I would.

And who would make these decisions? Jamie Redknapp?
Andy Gray? Rupert Murdoch.

Football is a sport, not f***ing entertainment. We run the risk of turning in to that horrific NFL shite.

There's plenty of young lads who have ambitions of becoming referees, as seen by record levels in grassroots sport.

Your attitude sums up modern football fans.

'My attitude', as you so condescendingly put it, is that most people wouldn't give a shiny shite whether there's a bloke in black on the pitch or not so long as correct decisions were made.

Whether that's ever possible? No idea. But to say football would be ruined without them?! :lol:

They are not inept mate,it is just too hard for the human eye to get enough decisions right that is proven every week

Some referees are as good as you can get but some most definitely aren't, I'd love to agree totally with you but prats like Friend really bring the 'average' standard down.

Last edited:
We have incidents happening Saturday afternoon, and then have Merson and Stelling as it happens, Shearer and Linekar 6 hours later , Kamara and Shepherd the next morning, Dermot Gallagher 48 hours later and then Carragher and Neville on a Monday night to analyse them, with 10 different camera angles and they STILL can't decide on certain incidents

Very good point that.

That's is the reason why people should understand bad decisions,if people cannot decided 48 hours later,what chance has a ref got to decide he does not even have 48 seconds to make that decision.

It was you who predicted there will be ref errors on Saturday not me -it was you who said refs are not good enough to get important decisions correct.
According to your logic we just carry on with errors being made very week in a multi million pound sport.
I notice you have not attempted to answer my Grand National or formula one analogies.

According to your pathetic defeatist logic if there were a number of people dieing of heart operations we would just say there s nothing we can do because its a difficult operation and you have just got to expect that mistakes will happen

Whats the pint he doesnt even accept there is a problem and even you for all your pathetic defence of referees admit that there is

By saying mistakes will be made is not saying refs are not up to the job,quite the opposite it is saying that mistakes are inevitable because of difficulty of the job and previous evidence of these mistakes,there is a massive difference

It is not a pathetic defences of referees at all,it is the fact he has watched football for years and years and nothing is more sure that mistakes will happen.

Where technology can be used to make a " DEFINITIVE" decision it should be used such as goal line tech or an offside decision where the person who touches the ball is in an offside position. it is not possible to use tech for a situation where the person may be interfering with play as that is totally a subjective point of view.

yesterday opinion was split between whether or not the "Fletcher" incident was a penalty.

all we would be doing in these incidences is changing from the refs view to A.N Others who has been able to review an incident but who still might not come to the decision we want.

currently the only change I would like to see is an independent timekeeper who stops the clock whenever ball is out of play so that we get our 90mins of game time.

Some good points there mate especially the one where you say the Fletcher incident pen or not was split.

As some on here especially @wicketkeeper would have us believe it was the most blatant decision you will ever see and that Marriner should be hung out to dry because of it.

'My attitude', as you so condescendingly put it, is that most people wouldn't give a shiny shite whether there's a bloke in black on the pitch or not so long as correct decisions were made.

Whether that's ever possible? No idea. But to say football would be ruined without them?! :lol:

Some referees are as good as you can get but some most definitely aren't, I'd love to agree totally with you but prats like Friend really bring the 'average' standard down.

The problem is and always will be mate is that some fans think they are experts on the standard of a ref,when the bottom line is how they decide it is not unbiased and based of very little information, the reason Sunderland fans think Marriner and Friend are no good is because of decisions made against Sunderland,Another club will think other refs are worst in the league because of decisions made against their club,both fans can't be right

Last edited:
Some of them are inept, Howard Webb for one, made his own f***ing rules up the absolute f***ing prick that he is

That must be why he was chosen for the World Cup final,Champions League final etc,

That must be why he was chosen for the World Cup final,Champions League final etc,

Also have to laugh at people calling him a prick,when they have probably only heard him speak once or twice and don't know him from Adam

Last edited:

Also have to laugh at people calling him a prick,when they have probably only heard him speak once or twice and don't know him from Adam

No idea why he was picked, he fucked up in the world cup final, he has admitted ignoring rules to "Make a game more interesting" some of his decisions against us were beyond incompetence. You need to take off your refs specs mate.

Do you have to hear people speak to be able to understand what type of character they are?

Very good point that.

That's is the reason why people should understand bad decisions,if people cannot decided 48 hours later,what chance has a ref got to decide he does not even have 48 seconds to make that decision.

By saying mistakes will be made is not saying refs are not up to the job,quite the opposite it is saying that mistakes are inevitable because of difficulty of the job and previous evidence of these mistakes,there is a massive difference

It is not a pathetic defences of referees at all,it is the fact he has watched football for years and years and nothing is more sure that mistakes will happen.

Some good points there mate especially the one where you say the Fletcher incident pen or not was split.

As some on here especially @wicketkeeper would have us believe it was the most blatant decision you will ever see and that Marriner should be hung out to dry because of it.

The problem is and always will be mate is that some fans think they are experts on the standard of a ref,when the bottom line is how they decide it is not unbiased and based of very little information, the reason Sunderland fans think Marriner and Friend are no good is because of decisions made against Sunderland,Another club will think other refs are worst in the league because of decisions made against their club,both fans can't be right

I definitely take your point mate but some performances from some referees beggar belief and if there was a way to help them I fully believe we should - and the bloke that said removing refs would ruin the game is simply talking rubbish.

No idea why he was picked, he fucked up in the world cup final, he has admitted ignoring rules to "Make a game more interesting" some of his decisions against us were beyond incompetence. You need to take off your refs specs mate.

Do you have to hear people speak to be able to understand what type of character they are?

Yes is short answer to that,or know someone a little better.

I have a solution to the continued inept refereeing in the premiership. Whenever supporters on here complain about the inept performances of Marriner and Friend Red and White Rob and Voice of Fair Play claim the job is too difficult and there are no solutions.

Okay then lets remove decision making from refs if it is too difficult for them. They are already miked up so let someone with the benefit of tv -replays etc. make the decisions and they just manage the game. Removing accusations of bias at a stroke and ensuring correct decisions.

As Rob himself has said on this forum he predicts refereeing mistakes will be made this weekend.

I contend there is now too much at stake to have games decided on a lottery.

What a load of old bollocks. Mistakes are all part of the game.

Live with it.

What utter nonsense man, staggering anybody could dream that up tbh:lol::lol: How can you do that without stopping the game?:lol::lol: These blokes would need to see replays right? You could have a scenario when a game a stopped a minute down the line and brought back. Who will be giving him instructions in his ear, who is to say he will be right? As for burying heads in sand the only person doing that is you by thinking refs are going to get everything right
Imagine the uproar as the 4th official is debating that dubious penalty shout, as he is doing this the other team storm up the other end and score only for the 4th official to decide yes it was a penalty, now bring the game back 60 seconds please and chalk off that perfectly good goal which has just been scored. f***ing hell on!

What a load of old bollocks. Mistakes are all part of the game.

Live with it.

Is that what the formula one official would say if lots of cars were crashing.
Is that what a hospital says if lots of people start dieing from heart ops. Or do they try to do something about it.

Is that what the formula one official would say if lots of cars were crashing.
Is that what a hospital says if lots of people start dieing from heart ops. Or do they try to do something about it.

I do get where you are coming from in a certain extent, for example people have asked for a solution so you are at least making suggestions for a solution.

However your comparisons are crazy beyond silly, to compare heart ops to refs decisions is farcical.

I have a solution to the continued inept refereeing in the premiership. Whenever supporters on here complain about the inept performances of Marriner and Friend Red and White Rob and Voice of Fair Play claim the job is too difficult and there are no solutions.

Okay then lets remove decision making from refs if it is too difficult for them. They are already miked up so let someone with the benefit of tv -replays etc. make the decisions and they just manage the game. Removing accusations of bias at a stroke and ensuring correct decisions.

As Rob himself has said on this forum he predicts refereeing mistakes will be made this weekend.

I contend there is now too much at stake to have games decided on a lottery.

.. robot refs who can play back the vid 100 times in a millisecond .. Nailed on in the next twenty years..

Imagine the uproar as the 4th official is debating that dubious penalty shout, as he is doing this the other team storm up the other end and score only for the 4th official to decide yes it was a penalty, now bring the game back 60 seconds please and chalk off that perfectly good goal which has just been scored. f***ing hell on!

When a ref wants a 4th official's tv opinion or wants a look at it himself he presses a button on his watch to indicate he's referring that decision. A light goes on on the scoreboard or similar, play continues until the next natural break in play unless he wants an immediate decision to be made ie a penalty shout. Could have a traffic light system - yellow for tv review pending, red for game stopped.

As I suggested earlier, completely under the referee's control in real time. He and only he decides when it's used.

When a ref wants a 4th official's tv opinion or wants a look at it himself he presses a button on his watch to indicate he's referring that decision. A light goes on on the scoreboard or similar, play continues until the next natural break in play unless he wants an immediate decision to be made ie a penalty shout. Could have a traffic light system - yellow for tv review pending, red for game stopped.

As I suggested earlier, completely under the referee's control in real time. He and only he decides when it's used.
So what would happen if ref makes the call that it's not a pen but the official in the stand says I reckon you have that wrong, even though he hasn't used your traffic light system he now knows he is wrong does he call the game back (now see my previous post about potential hell on) or face the wrath of the media that such system is a load of bollocks as they still can't get it right. There will always be human error, ffs look at our motley crew on Saturday, if a ref performed to there standard he would be sacked on the spot, the system while not perfect is done pretty well in my humble opinion.

I do get where you are coming from in a certain extent, for example people have asked for a solution so you are at least making suggestions for a solution.

However your comparisons are crazy beyond silly, to compare heart ops to refs decisions is farcical.

It seems that if he was a teacher and someone got 90% of things right in a test score he would call them useless and inept for not getting 100% correct

The point is as you knoow is heart operations are difficult but no-one uses that as an excuse when things go wrong

It seems that if he was a teacher and someone got 90% of things right in a test score he would call them useless and inept for not getting 100% correct

Did you see Stokes penalty yesterday. It is the equivalent of a year 11 getting 1+1 wrong

The point is as you knoow is heart operations are difficult but no-one uses that as an excuse when things go wrong. Nor would they say there is nothing we can do

Did you see Stokes penalty yesterday. It is the equivalent of a year 11 getting 1+1 wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back