Renting a flat (first time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah that's the whole house for a month, between 4.

Ah right, that's not as bad then, you made it sound like it was just for you!

It's still high, I guess nobody gives a shit though as they only have to pay a quarter of the bill. Mine is never off and it goes nowhere near that high though!

I remember a deal like that working for me and a mate when we moved to London. The flat was walking distance from his office and a train ride from mind, so he paid extra to the rent because his commute cost him nothing (and my office was in Hounslow, where neither of us wanted to live unless we had to).

Yeah, it'll work in the right circumstances, I reckon unless they're secretly in a relationship that it'll end in tears if one is paying more just because they earn more.

It's still high, I guess nobody gives a shit though as they only have to pay a quarter of the bill. Mine is never off and it goes nowhere near that high though!

Yeah, it'll work in the right circumstances, I reckon unless they're secretly in a relationship that it'll end in tears if one is paying more just because they earn more.

It's canny high like. Be reet. I'm only here for another couple of months anyways.

A distinct possibility but not at the moment.

Unless your going to live in a city center then £600 PM is quite alot. I live in a nice area in east boldon for less than that. Cast yourself further afield with good transport links and you will be paying less than that.

Your best bet is to actually ring the estate agents and find out exactly what the costs are. Or I think via rightmove you can email them for the details.

You could try looking for something like this.

http://www.primelocation.com/to-ren...dfef0910bfc57f754f7f29603#LXPFbf42LdITTQLP.97

My daughter lived in this block for 14 months when it first opened about three years ago. She loved it as it is convenient for the transport and town centre.

Advice: pay ALL deposits etc with a credit card rather than cash. She lost her deposit when the builder went into administration. Hacketts didn't want to know and made no attempt to help her or her friend in spite of the fact that they had taken all of the money when she took the flat and the rent was being paid to them. They lost five hundred quid between them.

If you havent got a credit card then ask someone who has got one to pay the deposit for you and you give them the cash. That way if there is any shonkieness going on you get your deposit back.

The flats are a good size and ideal for two people to share. The rent can be paid from two separate accounts with no problems at all. Do NOT get a joint account with a friend as if they have a poor credit record, so will you by association. Pay bills as they come in. Allow for council tax, which in this flat was around £100 per month. You will also need to allow for water at about twenty pounds per month and tv license at about ten pound per month.

Stay well away from student lets as if you are the only worker there you will have to pay the full council tax on your own.

Basically aye

Bad mistake. What happens when you fall out, or she gets a boyfriend or you get a girl friend. That won't be pretty. Remember, don't shit on your own doorstep.

Fuck.

It's early.

Clearly my literacy needs improving :lol:

Is it?

There's some decidedly average ones in Newcastle for that price.
£600 average in Newcastle. I have a 2 bed one I let out for that, wouldn't say it was top end (given the 700-800 cost of quite a few nr quayside) but it is decent and has garden included

You can easily do it pal. I left home when I was your age and lived with one of my mates. We had a brilliant time on a smaller income that. I also lived with my wife and we bairns and we don't want for anything on a similar income. Just go for it. It'll be the best thing you'll ever do.

Also pics of the housemate?

You could try looking for something like this.

http://www.primelocation.com/to-ren...dfef0910bfc57f754f7f29603#LXPFbf42LdITTQLP.97

My daughter lived in this block for 14 months when it first opened about three years ago. She loved it as it is convenient for the transport and town centre.

Advice: pay ALL deposits etc with a credit card rather than cash. She lost her deposit when the builder went into administration. Hacketts didn't want to know and made no attempt to help her or her friend in spite of the fact that they had taken all of the money when she took the flat and the rent was being paid to them. They lost five hundred quid between them.

If you havent got a credit card then ask someone who has got one to pay the deposit for you and you give them the cash. That way if there is any shonkieness going on you get your deposit back.

The flats are a good size and ideal for two people to share. The rent can be paid from two separate accounts with no problems at all. Do NOT get a joint account with a friend as if they have a poor credit record, so will you by association. Pay bills as they come in. Allow for council tax, which in this flat was around £100 per month. You will also need to allow for water at about twenty pounds per month and tv license at about ten pound per month.

Stay well away from student lets as if you are the only worker there you will have to pay the full council tax on your own.

Bad mistake. What happens when you fall out, or she gets a boyfriend or you get a girl friend. That won't be pretty. Remember, don't shit on your own doorstep.

If you are renting why would you pay a deposit to a builder?

The landlord is supposed to secure the money in a tenancy deposit scheme, they can only release the money at the end of the tenancy once any fees have been agreed. If the landlord hasn't don't that you could take him to court.

If you are renting why would you pay a deposit to a builder?

The landlord is supposed to secure the money in a tenancy deposit scheme, they can only release the money at the end of the tenancy once any fees have been agreed. If the landlord hasn't don't that you could take him to court.

Th builder built the flats and owned them. They went into administration and my daughter was told by Hacketts that they would have to take the builder to court to get their deposit back.

Hacketts protected the deposits for the Sunderland University students in part of the building but just handed the deposits for the private tenants over to the builder.

Hence when the builder/landlord went into administration the only way to recover the deposit was to go through the courts as the builder/landlord just pocketed the money and didn't put it into a scheme.

Hacketts didn't give a shit about them, hence my warning to never give them any money, under any circumstances unless it is protected by a third party ie such as a credit card.

Last edited:
Th builder built the flats and owned them. They went into administration and my daughter was told by Hacketts that they would have to take the builder to court to get their deposit back.

Hacketts protected the deposits for the Sunderland University students in part of the building but just handed the deposits for the private tenants over to the builder.

Hence when the builder/landlord went into administration the only way to recover the deposit was to go through the courts as the builder/landlord just pocketed the money and didn't put it into a scheme.

Hacketts didn't give a shit about them, hence my warning to never give them any money, under any circumstances unless it is protected by a third party ie such as a credit card.

No, you don't need to pay by credit card, you just need to make sure it is held in a proper scheme.

No, you don't need to pay by credit card, you just need to make sure it is held in a proper scheme.

If you hand over cash to an estate agency then you would expect them to take care of your money. In this case, and in the case of the other private tenants in that block of flats, Hacketts just handed over the money to a company that they clearly knew were in financial difficulties and who therefore should not have been trusted to behave honourably by the tenants.

This statement is evidenced by the fact that Hacketts put Sunderland University's deposit into a scheme themselves. They didn't want to lose their custom obviously. They did not warn potential private tenants of the risk they would not get their money back and when my daughter left the flat they were happy to take further deposits from subsequent tenants knowing the money wouldn't be put into a deposit scheme and the tenants would not get it back when they moved out.

I am fully aware of how the system SHOULD work but how can you protect yourself against sharp practices such as my daughter and her friend experienced? One solution is by using a credit card.

If you hand over cash to an estate agency then you would expect them to take care of your money. In this case, and in the case of the other private tenants in that block of flats, Hacketts just handed over the money to a company that they clearly knew were in financial difficulties and who therefore should not have been trusted to behave honourably by the tenants.

This statement is evidenced by the fact that Hacketts put Sunderland University's deposit into a scheme themselves. They didn't want to lose their custom obviously. They did not warn potential private tenants of the risk they would not get their money back and when my daughter left the flat they were happy to take further deposits from subsequent tenants knowing the money wouldn't be put into a deposit scheme and the tenants would not get it back when they moved out.

I am fully aware of how the system SHOULD work but how can you protect yourself against sharp practices such as my daughter and her friend experienced? One solution is by using a credit card.

You protect yourself by checking the deposit has been paid into a deposit scheme.

Plans changed and now it's a 3 bedroom for 600 per month between 3 of us, maybe 4, advice on here has been good. So cheers.

And nor. none of you are getting b*****d pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back