Roy Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get the anti Roy Keanne stuff. He did a fantastic job here, picking us up from a depressing low and within a season creating a title winning side. He kept the side up and gave us some magical moments along the way.
Yes it ended in acrimony but thats what happens to most managers. It was his first attempt at management and he got a lot of things spot on.

He's never disrespected our fans / club, in fact he speaks very highly of both in his recent book.

For me Keanne 'got' Sunderland - he saw the potential of the club and tried his best to give us success. He's not the first and won't be the last to fall short in that aim, but I'll always remember his days in charge as good times.

He left as soon as the going got tough. Anyone who does that doesn't "get Sunderland" at all.

Nobody forced him out, he left of his own accord. I don't get this harking after what might have been with him. There wasn't anything further because he chose to end it off his own accord. No tragic love that was not meant to be, just a divorce he instigated entirely of his own volition.

Last edited:

"Roy Keane in walk out when going gets tough shocker" :)

How folks buy into this bloke is beyond me.

He's a quitter who will do anything for publicity - good or bad

He left as soon as the going got tough. Anyone who does that doesn't "get Sunderland" at all.

Nobody forced him out, he left of his own accord. I don't get this harking after what might have been with him. There wasn't anything further because he chose to end it off his own accord. No tragic love that was not meant to be, just a divorce he instigated entirely of his own volition.

Don't talk sense on here my friend :lol:

Toys out again from the sulking oversized teenager. Getting boring now.

he seems to love us doesnt he ! hated the keano song mind :lol: he seemed to love whickham n all
get him back and spend anhour in training everyday fighting with conner to toughen him up

Would that be the same Connor Wickham signed by his successor then?

That isn't his version of events in his book to be fair.

Besides, Reid and McCarthy were both criticised for waiting for the pay off rather than walking

surely thats exactly what it says in his book.
Says he took training on the Sunday after the Bolton match and spoke to Quinn about training and the match. The players had Monday and Tuesday off so he went back to Manchester and came back on the Wednesday. He was on his way to watch the reserves on Wednesday night when Short rang demanding to know where he'd been and why his family hadn't moved up. He didn't like the way Short spoke to him so rang his agent and told him to sort things out with Short. He got a message from Quinn an hour later telling him Sbragia would be taking charge for the next game and they'd pay his contact up, which they didn't hence why he sued us.

He does say how much he regrets it and how he wishes he'd handled the conversation with Short better, and is full of praise for the fans and Quinn. Said he wishes he was still here but made a point of saying he didn't resign

yep , as has been said , a divorce instigated by himself , he told short to go fuck himself , left the owner with no choice but to bin him.

Don't get the anti Roy Keanne stuff. He did a fantastic job here, picking us up from a depressing low and within a season creating a title winning side. He kept the side up and gave us some magical moments along the way.
Yes it ended in acrimony but thats what happens to most managers. It was his first attempt at management and he got a lot of things spot on.

He's never disrespected our fans / club, in fact he speaks very highly of both in his recent book.

For me Keanne 'got' Sunderland - he saw the potential of the club and tried his best to give us success. He's not the first and won't be the last to fall short in that aim, but I'll always remember his days in charge as good times.
After the promotion season and one year after keane was clueless
Wasted millions on shite and im not even going to make a list

That isn't his version of events in his book to be fair.

Besides, Reid and McCarthy were both criticised for waiting for the pay off rather than walking
Roy Keane in "own book tells favourable version of story shocker"

And Reid at least had been around long enough for it to be evident a change was needed. Very few folk were wanting Keane gone before he left, in spite of his antics leading up to it. He absolutely had the mandate to keep going. He left like a coward though. And his career in managing since makes a mockery of the idea that he can translate his sucsess and mentality on the pitch into the same off it.

All credit to him for bringing and keeping us up. I don't dislike the bloke per se at all. Very important SAFC manager for those achievements.

But the idea that he's a good manager who would have turned it round was never given credence by Keane *himself*, he basically surrendered, so I don't see why anyone else buys into it is all.

Last edited:

ye dumb dim witted abortion of an attempted human intelligence.

dead poor effort that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back