Rugby WC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ireland far from great today but most importantly they top the group ahead of the game vs France meaning they have the comfort of a draw vs France (unlikely but never say never) meaning they would avoid NZ.

Ireland far from great today but most importantly they top the group ahead of the game vs France meaning they have the comfort of a draw vs France (unlikely but never say never) meaning they would avoid NZ.

Yeah, it's a good point. It definitely means with a couple of minutes to go a kickable shot at goal is an easier decision to make if you're just three points behind (or four points ahead).

Ireland seemed to just be a little bit off in key places. Time and again they went through some phases, made ground and looked like they could get through, they either took the wrong option or didn't execute. It's really unlike them but you'd think they can sort that out, all the key places like the scrum, lineout and breakdown are generally OK.

The France game is a really different game to anything else they face (unless they somehow get a Wales semi final). France will be all about the collisions and bashing upfield with their big lads, and I'd expect Ireland to counteract by kicking the ball behind them and making them turn while Zebo, Bowe, Earls and Kearney give chase.

Then they have a completely different QF to follow. If they beat France, which is presumably plan A, they have Argentina who have quicker more dangerous backs than Ireland have faced this tournament so they'll have to be really accurate and near their best. Lose to France and it's New Zealand in the quarters, which is a totally different game to prepare for. They will have to have their kitchen sink ready to throw in. If they can make the semis they have a likely opponent of one from Wales, Australia and South Africa, not easy but winnable and then Ireland could find themselves in a final.

Yeah, it's a good point. It definitely means with a couple of minutes to go a kickable shot at goal is an easier decision to make if you're just three points behind (or four points ahead).

Ireland seemed to just be a little bit off in key places. Time and again they went through some phases, made ground and looked like they could get through, they either took the wrong option or didn't execute. It's really unlike them but you'd think they can sort that out, all the key places like the scrum, lineout and breakdown are generally OK.

The France game is a really different game to anything else they face (unless they somehow get a Wales semi final). France will be all about the collisions and bashing upfield with their big lads, and I'd expect Ireland to counteract by kicking the ball behind them and making them turn while Zebo, Bowe, Earls and Kearney give chase.

Then they have a completely different QF to follow. If they beat France, which is presumably plan A, they have Argentina who have quicker more dangerous backs than Ireland have faced this tournament so they'll have to be really accurate and near their best. Lose to France and it's New Zealand in the quarters, which is a totally different game to prepare for. They will have to have their kitchen sink ready to throw in. If they can make the semis they have a likely opponent of one from Wales, Australia and South Africa, not easy but winnable and then Ireland could find themselves in a final.

I'll be shouting them on, they were my tip at the start and I'm sticking by it. Dissapointed by them today but they got the win and top the group which is all that matters. Will be a good game vs France and whoever ends up playing Argentina in the 1/4s will be in for a tough game, they are no mugs

Oh and just looking at tickets, if anyone is wanting to go to NZ vs Tonga on Friday, they have some Cat D £50 tickets available

Found this on the Bath fans page on bellendbook, not sure how valid it is, but another ringing endorsement of Bomber and the current regime:
(read from the bottom up)
Logon or register to see this image

Alex Goode has rubbished this on twitter, pointing out that Bill V doesn't drink (the story is that thee quotes are supposed to be from some hospitality dinner where Billy was drunk).

2 decent enough games there. Like Georgia, Tonga started well but Argentina pulled away. The kicking was the key difference on the first half.

I'm actually quite looking forward to Romania vs Canada and Georgia vs Namibia with 3rd place a realistic target for Romania and especially Georgia. Obviously the Wales and Ireland matches massively stand out.

Alex Goode has rubbished this on twitter, pointing out that Bill V doesn't drink (the story is that thee quotes are supposed to be from some hospitality dinner where Billy was drunk).
I'm fairly sure he does, or at least did, drink. My mates bumped into him in a nightclub after an Autumn international last year, not out with the rest of the team and not drinking. Just out.

In St Albans of all places.

who are the stars of the all blacks?

Richie McCaw - their captain and arguably one of the best Rugby players ever.
Dan Carter - Fly Half, leading points scorer in test match history.

They're the two 'icons' that play for them and will rightly make lots of people's 'Greatest ever XV' lists.

But other than that, all of them are fantastic players. Their props are better ball handlers than England's usual centres :lol:

Edit: Kieran Read is a real stand out for them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back