Seaburn Zoo / Ocean Park Documentary. Please Read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oioirob

Goalkeeper
Hello there people.

I am currently making a short documentary on the zoo that was once in Seaburn also known as Ocean Park at one point. I am aware of the previous thread relating to this but my reason for posting is to appeal for help.

Does anyone have any information or stories they would like to share?
I am aware of Janets story in relation to the tiger and also the lions escaping although there is not much information available on the lions escaping so any help with that would be great.

Does anyone have any photos perhaps from personal albums or ones that are not currently online or know anyone who may?
I have found the ones from Facebook and certain ones from Google as well.

Does anyone have any experiences they would be happy to discuss in an interview on camera?
Or any relatives they might know who would have any information or photos.

It has also been brought to my attention that when the zoo was closed someone who had posted on a thread in a forum on this site claimed there father was the one who had to come and shoot the lions?
Does anyone have any more information on this? Perhaps the thread or may know the person or remember the post?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

I was telling my kids abut this just the other day. I can vaguely remember it in the early 70's but I was so young that I can't recall anything of any significance.

Yeah not many people remember it. Its hard to believe there used to be a zoo there considering what is behind Jet Amusements now.

Try @Boris Bear
If I remember correctly his cousin met the lion in the street or something like that?
We have already chatted marra.....unfortunately my cousin is not around to give the story first hand

The lions got out on more than one occasion iirc and the more famous incident was when one got out into the street (rather than the one with my cousin where it was in the long grass next to the cema.

Also, they had a mature male chimp called Buster who could let himself out of his cage despite it being behind a plate steel door........they used to get it to come back into it's cage by giving him cigars.

@Sneech is the resident Seaburn Zoo expert........I believe he has a brother who they adopted from the zoo

Last edited:
When I was at school in the late 90s a dog ran in to the playground, not sure if that's related?

I will have a look see what I can find but I don't think he stayed in Sunderland so it might be a bit hard to find but I appreciate the help.

We have already chatted marra.....unfortunately my cousin is not around to give the story first hand

The lions got out on more than one occasion iirc and the more famous incident was when one got out into the street (rather than the one with my cousin where it was in the long grass next to the cema.

Also, they had a mature male chimp called Buster who could let himself out of his cage despite it being behind a plate steel door........they used to get it to come back into it's cage by giving him cigars.

@Sneech is the resident Seaburn Zoo expert........I believe he has a brother who they adopted from the zoo
:lol::lol::lol:

I took my kids once they teased the monkeys with their jam butties eventually the monkeys had enough and flung their facaes at them:lol:

I built a very large greenhouse in the cemetery behind the Zoo, very weird experience working there in the early mornings, with the mist rising and all the sounds of the various animals echoing around the place, it certainly didn't feel like I was working in Sunderland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back