Serial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just listened to the British version, very hard-hitting! It's about a school ET drawing competition 31yrs ago and whether the winner copied his design off a rubber, sounds like it's going to turn into a classic:neutral::confused::lol:
Take Hart meets The Wire, what a concept!!

Just catching up - am up to about episode 6 and I reckon he did it. Jennifer told the police she'd been told by Jay he'd been told by Adnan that Hae was strangled, which she was. Jay told the cops where Hae's car was, which they'd been looking for for weeks. This was all in first interviews.

Just catching up - am up to about episode 6 and I reckon he did it. Jennifer told the police she'd been told by Jay he'd been told by Adnan that Hae was strangled, which she was. Jay told the cops where Hae's car was, which they'd been looking for for weeks. This was all in first interviews.
Im on episode 10....he didn't!

Anyone following this podcast? What are your views?

For those that don't know, it is an episode per week that delves into different aspects of a real murder case in the US, where a lad was found guilty of murdering his girlfriend. Essentially it's kind of breezy investigational journalism where they examine the facts and probe for whether it was a fair verdict.

Absolutely fascinating.

I'm not right up to speed but I'm a good way into it and on the facts presented thus far I'd say that on the balance of probabilities he may be guilty but that there is more than enough reasonable doubt to acquit him.

Not an easy case to cut through mind and there are some huge doubts on either side of the ledger.

It has been superb. I've just caught up with the last couple of episodes today.

I still reckon Jay did it, I've thought that since the first episode when they were playing his tapes from the police interview, it just seemed...weird. The things he was saying that Adnan supposedly said/did were just odd, like he'd just made them up. Then you've got to question why he scrubbed all the evidence away from clothes, shovels etc. and then changed big parts of his story as time went along. There just has to be more to it.

The whole case was pinned on that call from the payphone but everything Sarah investigated into that seemed to show that there was never a phone, and that the call probably never came from that location meaning Jay's whole testimony was a load of bollocks.

...but then what if Adnan really was just a total nutcase and had done it and lied about it all along. Hmmm. :lol:

Chuffed to hear there's a second series coming.

Aren't those also consistent with Jay being a liar (which a number of others subsequently 'testify to') and the murderer himself?

I want to know who is the one apparently threatening the girl during the introduction of the podcast. We've not heard the full clip of that yet. Could've been taken out of context though.

If Jay was the murderer then what was his motive? No one seems to have a clue about that.

Really good stuff.

I don't think he did it but find it amazing he was convicted. Seems to be very little actual evidence and most of what there is has serious doubts over it.

I want to know who is the one apparently threatening the girl during the introduction of the podcast. We've not heard the full clip of that yet. Could've been taken out of context though.

If Jay was the murderer then what was his motive? No one seems to have a clue about that.
Adnan was and I quote "a very close friend of Stephanie's".

Speculative of course but a plausible line of enquiry.

Remember also that a number of Jay's friends commented that he invented lies for no apparent reason all of the time, albeit usually prosaic stuff.

Adnan was and I quote "a very close friend of Stephanie's".

Speculative of course but a plausible line of enquiry.

Remember also that a number of Jay's friends commented that he invented lies for no apparent reason all of the time, albeit usually prosaic stuff.

True.

There's a Q&A on reddit with Saad, Adnan's mate from school. It's massive like so best just ctrl+f'ing anything specific you want to look for.

Here's a bit about a possible Jay motive:

Q) Hi Saad, have you ever met Jen? After listening to the most recent episode, she seems to be the person who has been the least truthful/sincere in her dealings with police. The summary of her behavior was very strange: going to see Jay with a friend prior to answering police.

I get this impression that a lot of people know what happened, including Jen, the anonymous tipper, and Mr S who miraculously found Hae's body. Were there any significant rumors or theories about what really happened?

A) Yea I feel the same way, Jen lied to the police saying she knew nothing, then lawyered up and came clean to them. She hid a murder until the police came to her, like who does that?!?!? I have a feeling Jen and Jay hooked up or were hooking up even though Jay was dating Stephanie. Funny thing is, the prosecution painted Jen is an upstanding light, but her actions and interviews have huge Red Flags.

http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/comments/2jm1xc/ask_saad_adnans_best_friend/

True.

There's a Q&A on reddit with Saad, Adnan's mate from school. It's massive like so best just ctrl+f'ing anything specific you want to look for.

Here's a bit about a possible Jay motive:

Q) Hi Saad, have you ever met Jen? After listening to the most recent episode, she seems to be the person who has been the least truthful/sincere in her dealings with police. The summary of her behavior was very strange: going to see Jay with a friend prior to answering police.

I get this impression that a lot of people know what happened, including Jen, the anonymous tipper, and Mr S who miraculously found Hae's body. Were there any significant rumors or theories about what really happened?

A) Yea I feel the same way, Jen lied to the police saying she knew nothing, then lawyered up and came clean to them. She hid a murder until the police came to her, like who does that?!?!? I have a feeling Jen and Jay hooked up or were hooking up even though Jay was dating Stephanie. Funny thing is, the prosecution painted Jen is an upstanding light, but her actions and interviews have huge Red Flags.

http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast/comments/2jm1xc/ask_saad_adnans_best_friend/
I still haven't looked at the reddit business, I feel like I might fall down the rabbit hole if I do.

TBH, there are three elements to this that appeal to me. The first is whether there was sufficient evidence to convict him, the second is whether he did it, and the third is, if he didn't, then who did. And I feel like the podcast can help me answer the first, can give me some idea on the second, but probably doesn't begin to address the third (if indeed it's applicable), and if I start looking for stuff outside the podcast to answer 2 and 3 before satisfying myself on 1 then I'll do my own head in.

Mind, like an earlier poster, I find it phenomenal to the point of actually being tantamount to dereliction of duty that the jury could convict in a few hours, including lunch.

I still haven't looked at the reddit business, I feel like I might fall down the rabbit hole if I do.

TBH, there are three elements to this that appeal to me. The first is whether there was sufficient evidence to convict him, the second is whether he did it, and the third is, if he didn't, then who did. And I feel like the podcast can help me answer the first, can give me some idea on the second, but probably doesn't begin to address the third (if indeed it's applicable), and if I start looking for stuff outside the podcast to answer 2 and 3 before satisfying myself on 1 then I'll do my own head in.

Mind, like an earlier poster, I find it phenomenal to the point of actually being tantamount to dereliction of duty that the jury could convict in a few hours, including lunch.

The Reddit is fascinating but you can lose hours of your life on it.

Final episode out today, a really good conclusion as well I think.

I'm still not sure what happened. I don't think Adnan killed her but I'm convinced he was there when it happened. He's said all along he didn't kill her but I'm not buying his story that he can't remember anything he did that night.

I don't think Jay did it either but again I think he was there.

Makes me question whether there was a third person in this who carried it out.

I don't think that murderer on the loose did it (unless he was connected to Jay?) because Jay knew too much about the killing for it to be a random event.

I expect another episode of this in a few months with an update on the DNA testing and Adnan's appeal.

Gutted that its over, I've loved it.

Aren't those also consistent with Jay being a liar (which a number of others subsequently 'testify to') and the murderer himself?
Not knowing where Hae's car was, no. In fact the opposite: he knew where her car was, and it was where he said it was. The programme never provided any comment, analysis or rationale for this. It's the one huge fact that corroborates Jay's story.

Not knowing where Hae's car was, no. In fact the opposite: he knew where her car was, and it was where he said it was. The programme never provided any comment, analysis or rationale for this. It's the one huge fact that corroborates Jay's story.
But if he killed her, either alone or with someone else, then he could well know. I mean, if I do someone in in whatever circumstances, dump or watch someone else dump her car, and then the police start sniffing around, isn't it plausible I might chuck the blame on the ex and throw in the titbit of the car's location as corroboration of my tale, when it's simply a fact I know tied with a pretty bow to a big fat lie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back