SMB film thread 2024

Marseille Trilogy (1931-36) 10/10
Three films (Marius, Fanny, and Cesar) based on plays by Marcel Pagnol. The first is directed by Alexander Korda, who went on to transform the British film industry. Collectively, an amazing evocation of time and place, with plenty of laughs and tears along the way.

Knox Goes Away (2023) - 5/10 - Michael Keaton stars as a contract killer who is rapidly losing his memory which impacts on his personal and working life. It was one of those movies where there was a good idea behind it but it went down a formulaic route and it felt a bit of a mess to me.

The Baader Meinhof Complex [2008] 7.5/10
A look at Germany's Red Army Faction (RAF), which organized bombings, robberies, kidnappings, and assassinations in the late 1960s and '70s

Knew nothing of this movement as I was born just after it. Captures the time but misses the deeper motivations of the group. Decent but overlong.
Loved this. Went to the pictures to see it. Didn't realise it was 16 years ago mind, feels like only yesterday (not quite, but you know what I mean.)

Was there not some controversy about it glamourising terrorism somewhat, with it's young, good looking trendy (in a 1970's way) cast.

Sinister (2012)

As a film, it was probably quite weak. I don't care. As a horror film it scared me like I haven't been scared in a long, long time. Lovely blend of unease, tension, and good old fashioned jump scare gags. I was on the edge of my seat and audibly swore at one of them. What an adrenaline rush.

Cam (2018)

Wanted a palette cleanser before bed, so shoved this on. Really interesting thriller about a cam girl who has her identity stolen, and AI using her appearance online. It left a few too many questions unanswered, but it kept me watching, and was an interesting glimpse into a very murky world.

Civil War (2024)

Alex Garland delivers another paranoid view of the distorted future. The tension held as Wagner Moura (Pablo to everyone), Kirsten Dunst and Cailee Spaeny travel through town after town is enormous. An utterly terrifying scene from Jesse Plemons. I thought it was brilliant. I found myself at times saying to myself I’d like to know more about how society continues in such a time but on reflection the unknown is what makes this great.

8/10

Love Lies Bleeding [2024] 5/10
Gym manager Lou falls hard for Jackie, a bodybuilder headed through town to Las Vegas in pursuit of her dream. Their love ignites violence, pulling them deep into the web of Lou’s criminal family.

Not sure what to make of this. All over the place. Sound design was the best thing about it. Meh.

Back