So was he not up to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said he would walk if he felt someone else could do a better Job. I know its probably his last job so why would he care, but I don't think I have ever seen a manger admit they are not up to it.

My gut feeling is the statement from the club and Advocaat that all is rosie in decision is purely for the press and behind the scenes it was somewhat different. I wonder whether his heart and sole was really in it when he agreed to come back and he was told he wasn't doing enough and thought he didn't need the shit.

He wasn't up to it, didn't need the hassle, wasn't as easy as he thought, didn't get the quality he wanted take your pick

He said he would walk if he felt someone else could do a better Job. I know its probably his last job so why would he care, but I don't think I have ever seen a manger admit they are not up to it.

My gut feeling is the statement from the club and Advocaat that all is rosie in decision is purely for the press and behind the scenes it was somewhat different. I wonder whether his heart and sole was really in it when he agreed to come back and he was told he wasn't doing enough and thought he didn't need the shit.
He wanted to retire, he never planned to come back. The club and the fans got under his skin. Against his better judgement he agreed to come back on the proviso that Short invest. Short did invest but it was too little too late. It was clear that he no longer has the energy and desire for the task. He walks away with the utmost integrity and with our best wishes.

If we had a replacement lined up why's he not been appointed? Every day counts here, WBA and the Mags could define our whole season, they are teams that will definitely be involved in the shake up at the bottom and gifting them 3 points each leaving us on 3 points from 10 games would for me be the point of no return.

Yes but the players weren't.

If we had a replacement lined up why's he not been appointed? Every day counts here, WBA and the Mags could define our whole season, they are teams that will definitely be involved in the shake up at the bottom and gifting them 3 points each leaving us on 3 points from 10 games would for me be the point of no return.
I think it is sensible for Short/Congerton to take time to get this one right. We have 2 weeks until our next game

I think he was up for it and up to it, if and it's a big IF we'd signed the players he really wanted. I don't think it was a clear case of us not investing, I think he had certain players he wanted and thought that as long as we could afford the asking price we'd sign them, it wasn't that easy. I read somewhere recently that Lombaerts didn't sign because Dick only being here a year wasn't any kind of assurance (that could be wrong of course) but if that was true that's his main defensive target gone.

History repeating itself, you can't motivate people who don't want to be motivated, and all the tactics and coaching in the world won't make a player that much better than what he already is (better players makes for a better team)...I really wonder when will the penny drop with short, he needs to understand that supporting a manager isn't just about Money, it's about the whole club pulling in the same direction

I think dicks age was a factor, at 68 you are ready for retire, if he was 10 years younger I think he would of stuck it out, he warned Ellis short in the summer what the club needed. He was let down AGAIN !!!!

History repeating itself, you can't motivate people who don't want to be motivated, and all the tactics and coaching in the world won't make a player that much better than what he already is (better players makes for a better team)...I really wonder when will the penny drop with short, he needs to understand that supporting a manager isn't just about Money, it's about the whole club pulling in the same direction

We are. Backwards

Shown himself to be a quitter, so probably not up to it here or anywhere else in the Prem. It's a brutal place to be a manager.

Who's to say Advocaat didn't stay on until we'd found an adequate replacement and now we have?

Agreed. That is my take on it, a win win situation (aside from on the pitch that is). Top experienced manager in charge week on week doing the club a favour (e.g. how many of the players signed actually signed partially due to Dick ?). It suited everyone, if we'd been mid table he'd have probably/possibly taken the gamble and stayed on. As it is now he's set the foundation for the new manager coming in and it's an amicable departure with hopefully no shit to come out of the closet & no panic appointment. Nothing is ever black and white, there is a lot of grey in between and it seemed very much to me this was a very casual appointment with Dick, but of course this could not be put out in public as this place would have been in meltdown for a start, e.g. when the rumours broke yesterday loads were saying he shouldn't have been in charge & favouring Bracewell or Bally to take charge for the game!?!?!?

I've got to be honest here, I'm f***ing gutted he's walked. But, there must be a motive to do so. I think the transfer window was appalling after all of the end-of-season talk, and I think Short has been a fool.

We HAD to gamble this season for the next 3-year deal, and once again, we've tried to do it on the cheap (relatively speaking).

I think Dick has enough integrity to have waited until we have somebody else lined up, and I hope he has steered the 'board' (a solicitor, a former pot-washer and god knows who else) in the right direction.

He's had a great managerial career, I think he's struggling to deal with the day-to-day demands for dealing with this shower of shite, and I don't blame him one bit. He gave it a cracking shot, 10 years ago it may have been a different story. If I was 68 with ££££££££ in the bank I probably couldn't be arsed either, to be fair.

Thanks for last year, enjoy your retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back