Social media is rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source means from where something originates. Therefore claiming to be ITK. They weren't correct last year either. They have folk on strings.

It clearly states on his twitter page that he isn't ITK and the he just passes on SAFC related news from around the globe

Which part of this don't you understand?

RR Is good to read if you live in a cave and can't look anywhere for your football.

However they're essentially North Korea, anything the club do is class and don't let them hear you say any different.

I also find the writers seem to think they're a bastion of knowledge on anything and everything safc.

Also that lottie comes across a cu.nt IMO.

Massively agree with this, she was writing reviews of away games that she hadn't even been to! :lol:

Your first post reads to me like you're moaning about them....to me it seems like they get bits of info from somewhere within the club, things change though so a target one week could be dropped by the next, this doesn't mean they're full of shit, just that they report what they hear. Other than that their opinion pieces are just that, if you don't like them don't read them, or get involved in a discussion and voice your own opinions.
They get nowt from the club man give over.

It clearly states on his twitter page that he isn't ITK and the he just passes on SAFC related news from around the globe

Which part of this don't you understand?
Which part of the thread don't you understand. Are you happy with all the stupid rumours and threads flying around?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hilarious this , bunch of saddos purporting to have a sensible discussion about facebook and twitter ?
Both sites are frequented by the lonely sad and basically pathetic individuals.

Safcsource does a great job - must take a lot of his time, but thousands of people benefit from it.

I can take or leave RR tbh, plenty of professional journalists doing the same thing but better. Each to their own though, used to like ALS.

There should be room for both. It's easy to knock journalists, but it depends on who they're filing for. Someone local, such as The Echo, is unlikely to make stuff up. They might get it wrong, but it's not in their interest to just make it up. The Mail, however...

The fanzine lads, in theory, should have our interests at heart - their interests and ours should be the same thing. Someone like ALS runs a slightly odd path - it's clearly a business, but it's ran (I'm talking about their social media here) like it's a bit of a laugh. Andy has 11k followers, ALS 13k, The Echo 20k. Andy's half that of the local newspaper, and only two thousand behind the fanzine that does it for a living. ALS, in my opinion, should be setting themselves out as the trusted source, yet it's (social) ran so badly that the bloke that does it for no more than an interest and love of his team (and takes a load of shit doing it, while he's at it) is catching up quick.

Hilarious this , bunch of saddos purporting to have a sensible discussion about facebook and twitter ?

Says the lad writing on a messageboard...

There should be room for both. It's easy to knock journalists, but it depends on who they're filing for. Someone local, such as The Echo, is unlikely to make stuff up. They might get it wrong, but it's not in their interest to just make it up. The Mail, however...

The fanzine lads, in theory, should have our interests at heart - their interests and ours should be the same thing. Someone like ALS runs a slightly odd path - it's clearly a business, but it's ran (I'm talking about their social media here) like it's a bit of a laugh. Andy has 11k followers, ALS 13k, The Echo 20k. Andy's half that of the local newspaper, and only two thousand behind the fanzine that does it for a living. ALS, in my opinion, should be setting themselves out as the trusted source, yet it's (social) ran so badly that the bloke that does it for no more than an interest and love of his team (and takes a load of shit doing it, while he's at it) is catching up quick.

Says the lad writing on a messageboard...

Why should they change their entire output to satisfy people who don't like their output and want them to be something else? If you want a trusted source then you'll be hard pushed to find one outside of the club. If you want more serious stuff then look for it elsewhere, like The Echo or whatever. If you're going to rate somebody's relative success then I wouldn't use how many Twitter followers they have as a gauge.

Says site and forum member on tap.

Why should they change their entire output to satisfy people who don't like their output and want them to be something else? If you want a trusted source then you'll be hard pushed to find one outside of the club. If you want more serious stuff then look for it elsewhere, like The Echo or whatever. If you're going to rate somebody's relative success then I wouldn't use how many Twitter followers they have as a gauge.

They shouldn't - if they're happy with playing daft, then they're perfectly entitled to do that. Again, in my opinion, it's the difference between them being professional and amateur. Personally, I see it as a wasted opportunity, but you're right, it's totally up to them what they do. I just don't see the point of it, other than a bit of a laugh? Plenty of funny people on twitter, so why would I or anyone else need to follow ALS? And from their point of view, they're running a business - so surely they want followers?

It's OK to have a laugh, but they'd do better if they had a purpose. As with all magazines / brands. It's called brand guidelines.

I'm using how many twitter followers they have to gauge how relatively successful they are on social media - in this case twitter. Not sure what better way there would be to do that?

Last edited:
They shouldn't - if they're happy with playing daft, then they're perfectly entitled to do that. Again, in my opinion, it's the difference between them being professional and amateur. Personally, I see it as a wasted opportunity, but you're right, it's totally up to them what they do. I just don't see the point of it, other than a bit of a laugh? Plenty of funny people on twitter, so why would I or anyone else need to follow ALS? And from their point of view, they're running a business - so surely they want followers?

It's OK to have a laugh, but they'd do better if they had a purpose. As with all magazines / brands. It's called brand guidelines.

I'm using how many twitter followers they have to gauge how relatively successful they are on social media - in this case twitter. Not sure what better way there would be to do that?

I see what you're saying but they are actually professional because they run it as a business. It's been going 25 years and is one of the most successful print fanzines in the country.

I see what you're saying but they are actually professional because they run it as a business. It's been going 25 years and is one of the most successful print fanzines in the country.

And I'm a big fan of the magazine. Absolutely more power to them. But they should take those attitudes to their social, because that's as equal part of their brand as the print and online. My bet is the person that edits the magazine isn't the person that's tweeting.

And I'm a big fan of the magazine. Absolutely more power to them. But they should take those attitudes to their social, because that's as equal part of their brand as the print and online. My bet is the person that edits the magazine isn't the person that's tweeting.

Then you'd be incorrect.

Haven't read through a lot of this thread but I agree SAFCSource is probably the best lad if you're into all the transfer rumour stuff. In fact, the Roker Report lads do a fantastic job. We do a roundup every morning on the site which covers stuff like that but to be honest it doesn't really excite us, we go to work when the player is photographed holding up a shirt.

It's not our job to trawl random foreign websites looking for players who MIGHT sign for Sunderland. We just produce content that we think fans might find interesting or entertaining, usually in a light-hearted manner, we have done for 25 years. We're not really the type of lads who'd sit behind computer screens and work our way through OPTA stats or anything like that, we just enjoy football, enjoy writing about it, and love being a platform for other people like us to write how they feel, more than often we'll give it a platform.... unless it's shite.

Last edited:
Then you'd be incorrect.

Haven't read through a lot of this thread but I agree SAFCSource is probably the best lad if you're into all the transfer rumour stuff. In fact, the Roker Report lads do a fantastic job. We do a roundup every morning on the site which covers stuff like that but to be honest it doesn't really excite us, we go to work when the player is photographed holding up a shirt.

It's not our job to trawl random foreign websites looking for players who MIGHT sign for Sunderland. We just produce content that we think fans might find interesting or entertaining, usually in a light-hearted manner, we have done for 25 years. We're not really the type of lads who'd sit behind computer screens and work our way through OPTA stats or anything like that, we just enjoy football, enjoy writing about it, and love being a platform for other people like us to write how they feel, more than often we'll give it a platform.... unless it's shite.

I'd echo that tbh. I think the last thing we Sunderland fans have to complain about is independent coverage. Between ALS, Salut Sunderland, WMS, We are Wearside and RR, there is pretty much every angle/niche covered and plenty of quality produced.

Nothing near a shortage no matter what your tastes. That's gotta be a good thing for everyone.

People need to lighten up. Be on twitter, don't be on twitter. No one forces you.
No one forces you to follow Andy, RR or ALS. I enjoy it as it's light hearted and informative. And I don't take any of it that seriously.
You want concrete information? Use Safc.com. You may get bored waiting for something interesting though.

Perfect example is this Cavanda bloke. Safcsource has been tweeting none stop since last year about him and people on here have been convinced that were getting him. Fawning around their tweets, same as that fish paste. Then Gus tells us last night he hasn't ever watched him play.

These fan sites like Roker Report and all these daft Journos know absolutely nothing. Gus has just proved that with Cavanda and Atsu but still people will lap up this crap.

It's all a load of shite, Roker Report do some OK analysis of tactics and that, but they just waste their time with all these shite from foreign journalists about who is going to sign, every link and that.

None of it means anything, the club will not tell anyone who they are after, and when they are signed it will on the website. People's obsession with those two jokers on twitter is ridiculous, they know absolutely fuck all.

I'd echo that tbh. I think the last thing we Sunderland fans have to complain about is independent coverage. Between ALS, Salut Sunderland, WMS, We are Wearside and RR, there is pretty much every angle/niche covered and plenty of quality produced.

Nothing near a shortage no matter what your tastes. That's gotta be a good thing for everyone.

You need to stop focusing on the transfer stuff, its a load of nonsense, some of your analysis pieces are good, but you are pandering as some ITK gurus and it spoils your blog.

It's all a load of shite, Roker Report do some OK analysis of tactics and that, but they just waste their time with all these shite from foreign journalists about who is going to sign, every link and that.

None of it means anything, the club will not tell anyone who they are after, and when they are signed it will on the website. People's obsession with those two jokers on twitter is ridiculous, they know absolutely fuck all.

You need to stop focusing on the transfer stuff, its a load of nonsense, some of your analysis pieces are good, but you are pandering as some ITK gurus and it spoils your blog.

It's a tough balance to find mate. Some people will agree with yourself, and that's fine. But if we stopped doing the transfers stuff we'd get people saying they miss it. So we just let people make up their own minds on what they want to read really.

I'd certainly agree, however, that blogs and analysis are our lifeblood. It's what I enjoy doing the most too. It's not a case of either/or though. Plenty room on the site for both I think.

Perfect example is this Cavanda bloke. Safcsource has been tweeting none stop since last year about him and people on here have been convinced that were getting him. Fawning around their tweets, same as that fish paste. Then Gus tells us last night he hasn't ever watched him play.

These fan sites like Roker Report and all these daft Journos know absolutely nothing. Gus has just proved that with Cavanda and Atsu but still people will lap up this crap.

Actually it is the users of it that are rubbish.

It's a tough balance to find mate. Some people will agree with yourself, and that's fine. But if we stopped doing the transfers stuff we'd get people saying they miss it. So we just let people make up their own minds on what they want to read really.

I'd certainly agree, however, that blogs and analysis are our lifeblood. It's what I enjoy doing the most too. It's not a case of either/or though. Plenty room on the site for both I think.
I agree with him some of the articles they do on the site are very good but the transfer stuff is awful. I'm not just saying it's you lot there's loads of these outlets about.

I agree with him some of the articles they do on the site are very good but the transfer stuff is awful. I'm not just saying it's you lot there's loads of these outlets about.

Transfer stories are only as good as the information behind them sadly. Just look at what happened with Besler, for example. Words from a player's own mouth that he has an offer from Sunderland, picked up and published by the Echo, then shortly afterwards it emerges from Sunderland end there is no interest. We are fans the same as anyone else and get caught out like anyone else. Just the way it goes sometimes.

But at the end of the day, we are a live coverage SAFC blog. We don't have a monthly edition like ALS or daily copies to fill like a newspaper. We cover and react as stuff happens, share the news that's out there, offer opinions, analyse stuff, offer a little satire etc. On transfer stuff we always post a link to the original source of the story though. People can make up their own minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back