St Georges Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is mate.

Can you imagine the Yanks, the French etc. putting up with such shite?

Similar in the US in the former confederate states where the Conferate Flag used to be flown with pride (the one painted on top of the General Lee in the Dukes of Hazzard) but far right extremist groups adopted it and now its deemed racist to fly it.

St George of Graham may sort our defence out.

One hand up and jog out....OFFSIDE!

St Edmund

St George is our patron saint because we signed a treaty in 1190 with the Republic of Genoa allowing us to fly their flag which meant we would not be attacked when entering or leaving the Mediterranean. In the 1300s we adopted the flag as our own flag outright. When we went on the holy crusades we wore the flag on our shields and because it was the cross of Saint George the knights said that he was protecting them. So Saint George was adopted as patron saint.

Similar in the US in the former confederate states where the Conferate Flag used to be flown with pride (the one painted on top of the General Lee in the Dukes of Hazzard) but far right extremist groups adopted it and now its deemed racist to fly it.

Most of the Southern states have removed the Confederate battle flag from their state flags now.

I think Mississipi was one of the last.

It is mate.

Can you imagine the Yanks, the French etc. putting up with such shite?

Who are the patron saints of the USA and France?

St George is our patron saint because we signed a treaty in 1190 with the Republic of Genoa allowing us to fly their flag which meant we would not be attacked when entering or leaving the Mediterranean. In the 1300s we adopted the flag as our own flag outright. When we went on the holy crusades we wore the flag on our shields and because it was the cross of Saint George the knights said that he was protecting them. So Saint George was adopted as patron saint.

To be honest, we could do with distancing ourselves from the crusades. That was a pretty ugly period of history

Most of the Southern states have removed the Confederate battle flag from their state flags now.

I think Mississipi was one of the last.

Who are the patron saints of the USA and France?

Dinnar like, but the point was they stand for less shit than we do.

Which period of history was pretty pretty?

I'm sure we've had a few years here or there when we all weren't trying to
* kill each other
* force our religions on one another
* have a life expectancy longer than 45

No?
Oh... That's right. I forgot. Humans are cocksockets

I'm glad that the UK isn't like the USA.

The French do some things better, some things worse. They were a bit OTT re: Muslims wearing headscarves and stuff IMHO, a bit too radgey for my liking.

Burkhas IIRC, not Hijabs wasn't it?

I'm sure we've had a few years here or there when we all weren't trying to
* kill each other
* force our religions on one another
* have a life expectancy longer than 45

No?
Oh... That's right. I forgot. Humans are cocksockets

I see your point but all of the bad stuff that happened has now happened and we can only learn from it.

But I wouldn't feel shame for something that was done hundreds of years ago as the world was a lot different.

Remember that common people have always been shafted and don't have much choice in the matter. To merely survive was an achievement.

Cheers.

Burkhas IIRC, not Hijabs wasn't it?

I'd need to take a look, even so I'd have thought that the UK would have implemented something similar if it was really necessary.

I'm glad that we're still a relatively liberal country and I feel that there are systems in place to put a stop to things that are a bit too mental.

Roger Moore?

:lol:
Well played.

He'd do!

I see your point but all of the bad stuff that happened has now happened and we can only learn from it.

But I wouldn't feel shame for something that was done hundreds of years ago as the world was a lot different.

Remember that common people have always been shafted and don't have much choice in the matter. To merely survive was an achievement.

Cheers.

Isn't that still the case? :lol:

Chaplins in the city centre.
(not many English drinks in the poster but at least they're doing something) :lol:
Logon or register to see this image

Fucks sake... Middle of the poster.
Desperado, BECKS! Becks of all things!
Wine and a bloody cocktail.

Not even bastard Carling on there! Probably for the best, but still!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back