St Georges Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Come to nottingham. Always a great parade. A bloke dressed as a knight leads it on a horse. And one of the most left wing councils you could imagine. Nothing wrong with patriotism.

St George is our patron saint because we signed a treaty in 1190 with the Republic of Genoa allowing us to fly their flag which meant we would not be attacked when entering or leaving the Mediterranean. In the 1300s we adopted the flag as our own flag outright. When we went on the holy crusades we wore the flag on our shields and because it was the cross of Saint George the knights said that he was protecting them. So Saint George was adopted as patron saint.

Not quite, he'd been the patron saint of crusading soldiers since allegedy appearing at the battle of Antioch. He wasn't recognised as England's patron saint until the late 14th century.

all banter aside - I just can't get my head around how any country can get into a position where their official flag can be deemed offensive to a section of people in that same country, and anyone actually listen. Total F'ing madness.

Its the fascist dictatorship that the f***ing morons vote in year in year out. The spread fear to the electorate via their friends in the media so they guarantee the hatred of the English people.

Many know this but will not admit to it.

But there'd be hell on if there was a Music of White Origin awards.

:rolleyes:

all banter aside - I just can't get my head around how any country can get into a position where their official flag can be deemed offensive to a section of people in that same country, and anyone actually listen. Total F'ing madness.

This doesn't actually happen though, outside the imagination of bellends.

There are English flags everywhere in England. All over the f***ing place. Look around you - you'll see dozens every day. On flagpoles, on clothing, on shop fronts, on packaging - everywhere. Flags absolutely everywhere.

Literally no one gives a shit about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back