Sunderland consider Danny Welbeck from Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well put it all in perspective Welbeck in the last 3 years have compiled more goals than Borini, Wickham, Fletcher and DG combined.

Good signing for another top four side? Nope, probably not.
Good signing for Sunderland looking to push for the top ten? Abso-flipping-lutely.

Whether we sign Borini or Welbeck, it has to be said that it will be the most underwhelming big money signing we've ever made. Neither player has a record that suggests they'll go on to be anything special.

I think he'd only improve Liverpool out of last seasons top 4 (and they are looking to get someone of a higher calibre by the looks of things) so that leaves Spurs/Everton who are streets ahead of us currently. Everton couldn't afford another big outlay and i'm not sure if Spurs would want him. I don't think he's actually unobtainable to clubs around the midtable mark where we should be aiming.

Ridiculous that i don't think he'd consider or even be offered a move abroad but that's the way it is for whatever reason.

I'd be chuffed if he signed anyway.

I seem to remember him being great as an attacking left when he played for us, rather than an out and out striker. He's got pace to burn and Poyet has been open about our need for speed (excuse the pun). I reckon he would do very well in that position and in our system in general, but I can't remember what his passing game is like. Just imagine him and van aanholt attacking down the left together, intimidating stuff I reckon :cool:

Wellbeck had about 2 good games for us yet people rave about the lad. Has looked distinctly average with quality around him at manu. Would be decent signing for us but no more.
Scored nearly 1 in 3 for England - canny. He'd be an excellent signing and better than Borini. Unlike Man City selling Rodwell I'm surprised Man Utd are willing to sell, I'd imagine most United fans would like to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back