Sunderland Pride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't that long ago that there were NO gays in Sunderland. Well, there were but they weren't conspicuous, so I get where the festival is coming from. It's Sunderland catching up. I assume the marches attract the more flamboyant and I still don't see the problem. Have you seen how people dress nowadays?

The Pride thing has to seen in the historical context as well. Gays were on the same social level as pakistanis in the 70s.

It's great us heteros accept a load of gays mincing down the high street, it really is no big deal any longer. You LGBT lot will just have to deal with it.

Did you even read my reply ?

Disappointed they never went with a pixelated image of a rainbow with PRIDE plastered over it there.

must say, the sunderland echo website is amongst the worst I've visited

the musical accompanyment didn't do the video any favours whatsoever, made is look somewhat farcical. my opinion

Last edited:
I have no issues with the concept of the day. I went last year and it was a good laugh, its a bit over the top at times but each to there own for me. Some of the best nights out I've had are Tuesdays in Sunderland, those who go seem to mostly know each other, there's a lot less bother, and they seem to know who's straight. Plus there's always a load of single straight lasses out for a laugh.

The only issue I have with the whole thing is this whole thing of being "proud", proud of what exactly? I had a mother on my Facebook (for bellends) who posted at least 50 pictures of her teenage son dressed as a woman, now I have absolutely no issue with the lad, if he's gay that's fine, if he wants to dress up as a woman that's fine its upto him. But what exactly was his mother and all her Facebook friends so "proud" of.

Just accept the lad, acting massively over the top gives the wrong impression for me and just goes against the purpose, surely its about acceptance, I'm not sure my Mother was proud of me the first time I went to the town dressed like a bloke, brought a lass back and give her one, just doesn't correlate for me.

I have no issues with the concept of the day. I went last year and it was a good laugh, its a bit over the top at times but each to there own for me. Some of the best nights out I've had are Tuesdays in Sunderland, those who go seem to mostly know each other, there's a lot less bother, and they seem to know who's straight. Plus there's always a load of single straight lasses out for a laugh.

The only issue I have with the whole thing is this whole thing of being "proud", proud of what exactly? I had a mother on my Facebook (for bellends) who posted at least 50 pictures of her teenage son dressed as a woman, now I have absolutely no issue with the lad, if he's gay that's fine, if he wants to dress up as a woman that's fine its upto him. But what exactly was his mother and all her Facebook friends so "proud" of.

Just accept the lad, acting massively over the top gives the wrong impression for me and just goes against the purpose, surely its about acceptance, I'm not sure my Mother was proud of me the first time I went to the town dressed like a bloke, brought a lass back and give her one, just doesn't correlate for me.
A lot of sense spoken here, some of the community massively over compensate

What I said, if people see if for just the street party it is then all is well and jolly but if people try to give it the same weight it used to have then there are rooted issues. One being the stereotyping of everyone with a different to the norm sexuality, which simply couldn't be further from the real world of LGBT. That very stereotyping of LGBT people these events give off is counterproductive at best and will only help the already 'influenced' people out there with negative views or even hatred of LGBT people. The whole 'pride' issue as well is putting even the most liberal people off, too. We are born this way, how can we be 'proud' of something we have absolutely no control over whatsoever. We haven't saved three hundred people from a burning building. We haven't dismantled bombs on trains or safety landed a plane. Or cured cancer. We just happen to have a sexuality slightly off the sexuality the majority of people have. That is nothing to be 'proud' of. Am not saying we should be ashamed either, of course, don't get me wrong, but the whole 'pride' label at these events makes it harder for those in the LGBT community who still struggle. And they are still out there. A simple street party once a year is not going to change that, sorry. The over the top stereotyping these events give off, the 'pride' label and yes to a degree the campness of it all is not how most people in the LGBT community see ourselves. Looking at it this way how can these events be any good to the general LGBT person ? You don't agree with me and am fine with that, of course I am, but I speak with experience and it tells me these events are of very little help. But, and I shall happily repeat it yet again, as a street party it still has its place and long may it stay that way. I honestly cannot believe I need to point all of this out to you. Unless you are winding me up, of course. People can be too liberal, you know.

Just ignore Harry man. We all know he likes nothing more than to mass debate with a group of blokes.

Drag queens - I don't get it, blokes that want to look like lasses for blokes that don't like lasses, but just manage to look like blokes dressed like pantomime dames.
It's not necessarily about attracting others. It's more about expressing who you are. If you're more "feminine" and believe in gender stereotypes you're likely to fancy popping on a dress and having a dance.

Is there a straight pride?
No.

I can't understand why they feel so proud about sticking their knob up some ones shitter, can someone explain this to me.
Because historically they've been repressed and they're trying to fight against that and highlight there's nothing to be ashamed of.

Have I been wooshed?

What I said, if people see if for just the street party it is then all is well and jolly but if people try to give it the same weight it used to have then there are rooted issues. One being the stereotyping of everyone with a different to the norm sexuality, which simply couldn't be further from the real world of LGBT. That very stereotyping of LGBT people these events give off is counterproductive at best and will only help the already 'influenced' people out there with negative views or even hatred of LGBT people. The whole 'pride' issue as well is putting even the most liberal people off, too. We are born this way, how can we be 'proud' of something we have absolutely no control over whatsoever. We haven't saved three hundred people from a burning building. We haven't dismantled bombs on trains or safety landed a plane. Or cured cancer. We just happen to have a sexuality slightly off the sexuality the majority of people have. That is nothing to be 'proud' of. Am not saying we should be ashamed either, of course, don't get me wrong, but the whole 'pride' label at these events makes it harder for those in the LGBT community who still struggle. And they are still out there. A simple street party once a year is not going to change that, sorry. The over the top stereotyping these events give off, the 'pride' label and yes to a degree the campness of it all is not how most people in the LGBT community see ourselves. Looking at it this way how can these events be any good to the general LGBT person ? You don't agree with me and am fine with that, of course I am, but I speak with experience and it tells me these events are of very little help. But, and I shall happily repeat it yet again, as a street party it still has its place and long may it stay that way. I honestly cannot believe I need to point all of this out to you. Unless you are winding me up, of course. People can be too liberal, you know.
Because historically they've been told to be ashamed?

Because there are probably a lot of people who don't think it's ok and who do think it's weird and in some way wrong. She's making up for all that by being loud and proud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back