Taking your kids out of school for holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suddenly seems to have become totally unacceptable when just a few months ago it was the norm. I know the law changed as well so parents can be fined, but I am talking more about the whole 'tut tut' nature of this when parents are made to feel like criminals for doing it. Now, obviously if parents are taking kids out all the time then I understand that reaction, but what is wrong with the nominal ten days that schools were allowed to offer?

Suddenly seems to have become totally unacceptable when just a few months ago it was the norm. I know the law changed as well so parents can be fined, but I am talking more about the whole 'tut tut' nature of this when parents are made to feel like criminals for doing it. Now, obviously if parents are taking kids out all the time then I understand that reaction, but what is wrong with the nominal ten days that schools were allowed to offer?
No keep them in so I can have a cheaper quieter holiday. :)

Nothing at all is wrong with it mate, its a money making scheme. If they where actually bothered about the kids being off during term they would stick a 2 grand fine on it and ne one would take there kids out. No money would be made then though.

Pure Football ?

Took ours out and decided to take the fine which never arrived. Its fine for teachers to strike or have inset days outside of holidays which doesn't damage a child's education but taking them for a holiday does. Also if its secondary school just don't send them on the skiing trips and take them away yourself.

As in most things its the few who spoilt it for the many

I have taken the last day or two of a term in thw past but ive seen parents take the kids out dor a fortnight bang middle of the main terms and then again later in the year.

for most thw discretionary 10 days worked fine.

might have been better to reassess that to 5 days with certain black out weeks around exam times

Some parents at our school take them out in May/June. Right in the middle of their exams and assessments. They know this too! Not good.

Taking my two away in june for a week....nine and eleven
Really looking forward to it, so are kids.

Happy f***ing days.

Took ours out and decided to take the fine which never arrived. Its fine for teachers to strike or have inset days outside of holidays which doesn't damage a child's education but taking them for a holiday does. Also if its secondary school just don't send them on the skiing trips and take them away yourself.
Why are you blaming teachers for having inset days when the DoE forces them to. Your problem is with Mr Gove.

Why are you blaming teachers for having inset days when the DoE forces them to. Your problem is with Mr Gove.
Wasn't blaming them, just stated teachers have inset days outside of term time so can't be 2 damaging to the kids. why don't they have inset days during holiday period?

You can see the perspective of both sides though. From the parents' side, it's all about the ability to say when their kids do and do not go to school, and about the comparative cost of going on holiday during term time and during holiday time.

From the school's point of view, students are missing out on five to ten schooldays, which is about thirty-five to fifty hours of teaching, if you do twenty-five hours of lessons a week.

It means teachers are having to cater for an extra student being behind when they're already over-stretched by the amount of students who need extra teaching help, the SEN kids, those who are perennially disruptive, those who don't speak English (which is unfortunately rather common in some schools).

Schools and teachers can issue students with homework booklets but do parents who work 40+ hours a week with two weeks holiday really want to spend a lot of extra time going over learning material with their children when both the parents and the children have a much better time without it?

Unfortunately it doesn't get any easier the older the student gets, as in primary school the student probably doesn't have the resourcefulness or the motivation to seek out the material themselves and learn in their own time, whilst at secondary level the material may be too complex/too near exam-time to miss out on.

There are no winners with taking children out of school unless parents, students and teachers are willing to put in extra work.

Wasn't blaming them, just stated teachers have inset days outside of term time so can't be 2 damaging to the kids. why don't they have inset days during holiday period?

That's slightly different that all the children miss out meaning that the teacher can teach the entire class the topic at another time. It'd be like trying to have a meeting at work, but two out of the eight people aren't there, so you need to let the people who missed the meeting know what happened, but whilst doing this you've got to be doing other things as well. It'd be much easier if all eight people were there to deliver the meeting to, or if you rescheduled the entire meeting for another day.

There are 190 teaching days and 5 inset days in a year, I agree inset days should be at the start or the finish of a holiday, the vast majority have them then although I have heard of schools which have them mid term. I appreciate this can be annoying the children don't lose out on teaching time.

Doing it for mine in December for Lapland

f***ing shite to it (married to a teacher aswell, the shame of it)

Right on cue. Just looking at holidays and the difference is huge a week either side of when the kids break up. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back