Telegraph- 20 fiercest rivalries in English football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Blackpool 20 or more years ago when Blackpool and Preston met on on the sea front, no love lost between those two.

Went with a Darlo supporting mate to one of their games v Hartlepool. A fight broke out in the big open end between both sets of fans. Seemed to go on for ages as well. Definitely one of the fiercest lower league rivalries.

Eastville was massive back in its day. From memory there was a motorway almost running over the top of the open end - or seemed like it.

Ikea now...well, well. Shame that all these old grounds have disappeared.

Try to make on they have a rivalry with Man United dont they? Their rivals are surely someone like Huddersfield Town?

South Hetton v Eppleton Colliery Welfare

Aye 4-0 hammering then on the Saturday we had another journey to Aldershot and lost 3-2. Can't recall travelling as many mies in a week to watch the lads - must have been nigh on 1200 miles by coach.

I was at the Aldershot game, remember going to Mansfield during the week as well.

Daftest derby game I ever saw was back in the late 80's, Auchinleck Talbot v Cumnock - West of Scotland juniors
Friday night some clown in Auchinleck torched the police station, the derby was the next day and this meant coppers would have to come form Cumnock (couple of miles down the road) to help cover.
The day of the match a few of us from my village went up to see the game, egged on by a lad who had family up there, we'll be alright he said...

Match abandoned as the crowd went for a couple of players, police all over the shop, lads jumping over the wall of the ground into peoples back gardens to give the locals a kicking, brutal stuff.
Ended up 4 of us got out with some black eyes, bruises and ended up walking twelve miles home cross country as the local bus service was stopped.

Majority of Utd fans wanted city to win the league last season over liverpool, the manc derby is driven purely by sky no one gave a fuck before Shiekh mansour popped up 5 years ago.

Theirs no other club on this planet I would rather the kopite bellends win the title over

Is Hull v Scunthorpe in there ?
Oxclose v St Roberts in the Washington cup was canny as well.

Majority of Utd fans wanted city to win the league last season over liverpool, the manc derby is driven purely by sky no one gave a fuck before Shiekh mansour popped up 5 years ago.

Theirs no other club on this planet I would rather the kopite bellends win the title over

I was going to say Newcastle?

Until I realised who you support.

I lived in Manchester and what you say is wrong, its a big deal in Manchester but the lack of citys success has always made it an imbalanced rivalry. Things are changing there though.

apart from the fact it's not a f***ing derby - you're spot on there.
Don't think they are talking about derby unless I read the title wrong. it says rivalries. Chelsea and United have been top draw for the last 10 years and also left out I think a huge rivalry with bad blood Liverpool versus Chelsea.

I couldn't believe it the way they were so open about wanting their city rivals to win the league. My works office is in Manchester and I was laughing at them for openly wanting City to win the league. If it was between Utd and Everton for the league title then I would want Utd to win it without any shadow of a doubt.

In saying this though I would much rather have a bevvy with a blue than any Manc (Utd or City).

Agree, but not very high up the list- a lot of it is exaggerated by the media.
Disagree with this though. The number of incidents and level of violence over the years between Liverpool and Utd fans is second to none. Slashings, stabbings, acid attacks etc. The type of fan at Anfield and Old trafford nowadays has seen this reduced but put a group of scousers in the same place as a group of mancs and there is only going to be one outcome and that is fighting on a serious level.

I was in Blackpool 20 or more years ago when Blackpool and Preston met on on the sea front, no love lost between those two.
Great shout. Very underrated derby this one.

Last edited:
Regarding Cardiff vs. Swansea, what's the crack here like,

"but not the seething menace, a swirl of political and cultural and social grievances"??

I think it's referring to the unequal distribution of funds into Wales and how Cardiff gets the majority while Swansea and the others get nowt. Same could be said about us and the scum though.

You're not right on the Manc derby there mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back