Thatcher and the IRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was convicted of possession of a firearm iirc
.him and three others were sentenced to 14 years for possession of e same firearm that was found in a car

I'm sure he (Sands) was convicted of planting a bomb.

Don't worry Greedy, the IRA sympathisers on here will soon have him an alibi.

All of them mate, but lets not get sidetracked talking about Mandela or whoever, its not really relevant.

If you don't think they were political prisoners why were many of them released as part of the peace agreement? That doesn't really tally with your black and white view of the world does it?

Answer my question. Which countries ?

I know all about the history, thank you very much. I may not have read as many books as you on the subject, but I know full well how the Catholics were treat. But to compare what happened in the North of Ireland to the oppression North Korea or China under Mao is f***ing ridiculous. And to somehow imply that the Provos were justified in the massacre of thousands of innocent men, women and children beggars belief. And to further claim that Sands and Co. were political prisoners is risible.

did anybody mention North Korea or China :rolleyes:

I know all about the history, thank you very much. I may not have read as many books as you on the subject, but I know full well how the Catholics were treat. But to compare what happened in the North of Ireland to the oppression North Korea or China under Mao is f***ing ridiculous. And to somehow imply that the Provos were justified in the massacre of thousands of innocent men, women and children beggars belief. And to further claim that Sands and Co. were political prisoners is risible.
I've never compared their treatment to either of those mate, and I don't claim to be an expert by any means, my point really is that there's a long complicated drawn out history behind it all, and the solutions were nowhere near as simple as you were making out. There's a lot of other background and it really depends how deeply you wish to go into the complicated politics and issues of it all. Anyway, there's some kind of peace over there now, and long may it continue, I don't think anyone really wants to go back to all of that.

I've never compared their treatment to either of those mate, and I don't claim to be an expert by any means, my point really is that there's a long complicated drawn out history behind it all, and the solutions were nowhere near as simple as you were making out. There's a lot of other background and it really depends how deeply you wish to go into the complicated politics and issues of it all. Anyway, there's some kind of peace over there now, and long may it continue, I don't think anyone really wants to go back to all of that.

No, I did, because that is true oppression.

And I don't excuse the behaviour of many Protestants and successive British governments. But that doesn't give anyone the right to go out and indiscriminately kill thousands of innocent people, many of whom had nothing whatsoever to do with the troubles. And the people responsible for these atrocities will never be freedom fighters or political prisoners, just cold blooded murderers.

I honestly believe that many of the terrorists then, and those who are left now, simply used the troubles and the history as a conduit for them to channel their bloodlust and an avenue to pursue other more lucrative criminal activities.

Bobby sands was not convicted of planting a bomb. Or any explosives offences whatsoever

You're right, he was only implicated in it ;)

Last edited:
No, I did, because that is true oppression.

And I don't excuse the behaviour of many Protestants and successive British governments. But that doesn't give anyone the right to go out and indiscriminately kill thousands of innocent people, many of whom had nothing whatsoever to do with the troubles. And the people responsible for these atrocities will never be freedom fighters or political prisoners, just cold blooded murderers.

I honestly believe that many of the terrorists then, and those who are left now, simply used the troubles and the history as a conduit for them to channel their bloodlust and an avenue to pursue other more lucrative criminal activities.

You're right, he was only implicated in it ;)
Laws n that

You know nothing of the subject. Republican prisoners had already been granted political prisoner status earlier on but it was taken away from them. So they were going on hunger strike to try and get back an acknowledgement of their own status which they previously had.

After the way they behaved in prison when they had that status, they didn't deserve it back.

That's before you get on to the fact that they didn't deserve it in the first place.

After the way they behaved in prison when they had that status, they didn't deserve it back.

That's before you get on to the fact that they didn't deserve it in the first place.

was a ridiculous thing for Thatcher to let people starve themselves to death over - in the end all she did was create martyrs and many more IRA recruits lining up.

Yes, they were discriminated against but not oppressed, and yes, Bloody Sunday was shocking. But they weren't political prisoners. Political prisoners are held for their views, not criminal behaviour. Bobby Sands was a convicted terrorist. You can be his apologist if you choose.

Are you taking the piss :eek:

The very thought of Ed Milliband dealing with such a threat sends shivers down my spine.
Exactly. This country is a joke there is no one to vote for. But what worries me even more is people away from Westminster act the same way.
This site for instance insists on creating false profiles to drive site traffic. The likes of barbieshelly, Pixie, redandwhiterob, chunky, greedminds, epping, catryan. plus 3 dozen other wum accounts like wigwam. They are all the same person and it insults me when they do this

IRA bombings were planned though, it's not like they threw a dart at a map and said "Hey I think we'll bomb here"

Also, did the British Government care about the Irish during the famine no? How about when the British army invaded Croke Park and killed innocent people in 1920? Bloody Sunday in 1972 etc?

I had a row recently with a guy on twitter who basically called all Irish people terrorists around St Paddys Day which pissed me off no end, he seemed to be blinded by the fact that for 100s of years the English murdered and tortured Irish men, women and children etc.

The IRA are no angels and I don't glorify what they done to innocent people, but the British were well able to dish it out to the Irish too.

We'll get our 6 counties back yet ;)

Sinn Fein popularity is growing rapidly down south and with the % of Catholics rising and rising in Ulster every year, i'd give it 20 years and I reckon we'll see a United Ireland again please god.
The bombings where planned so they planned to kill to children in Warrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back