The Beatles

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Omega Man

The thread about Queen led me to you tube and you dont stumble very far before the The Beatles emerge.

Clearly the songs they wrote defined them. Shea Stadium defined them and set the scene for the mass open air concerts/gigs that we know today.

However to basically define a whole decade in human history, the 1960's, takes some doing.

Widely regarded as the most influential musical act in history what do we make of them now 45 years after they basically ended their recording together?

Has Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band ever been eclipsed?

Can songs like this be bettered?

I totally accept how influential they've been, but the actually music is utterly 'meh'.
I'd never complain if a Beatles song came on, but I'd skip it if I could.

From doing covers of other artist's songs to Sgt Peppers in what, six years?

It simply couldn't happen today - boy band to 60s version of Radioheed.

I think the Stones matured a bit later. their 70s stuff was class. Part of the Beatles attraction was that it was so quick.

No doubt they were a brilliant band, but I just like the Bluesy sound the Stones had. But I agree the Stones did mature in to a Bette band in the 70's, the drugs helped like.

Tremendous, Groundbreaking etc. but so were many others of their time in their own way.
Why not just enjoy what we enjoy and not make comparisons?
My kids idolise The Libertines, can't see it myself but over the moon that they're buzzing.

I heard this quite recently and really liked it - I knew of The Carpenter's version but never knew that The Beatles had a version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back