The Beatles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Before the Beatles there was Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, Dion and James Brown to name but a few.
I meant this country but even so they were all out of action as was Jerry Lee Lewis. James Brown was more soul than rock and roll but I agree, he had the presence of a rocker.

I meant this country but even so they were all out of action as was Jerry Lee Lewis. James Brown was more soul than rock and roll but I agree, he had the presence of a rocker.

Out of action in what sense ?

1958 when the Beatles were still at school :lol:

After the Beatles split McCartney produced some of the worst music ever heard by man.

That's the thing that always puzzled me about the beatles, all these supposed game changer albums and he was meant to be the genius of it all. so how come when they split he turned to shite? they all did. How the fuck can you get that bad? it really makes no sense.

Thomas the tank engine was canny mind...

Aye. That was 1958. Where was Chuck and the rest of the gang in 1962? Rock and Roll was on its knees, dominated by crooners until The Beatles shook things up again.

Awe man you make as much sense on this as you do on religion :lol:

That's the thing that always puzzled me about the beatles, all these supposed game changer albums and he was meant to be the genius of it all. so how come when they split he turned to shite? they all did. How the fuck can you get that bad? it really makes no sense.

Thomas the tank engine was canny mind...

Not only that but Lennon produced shite records too...."Woman" ffs horrible anally retentive stuff.

The thread about Queen led me to you tube and you dont stumble very far before the The Beatles emerge.

Clearly the songs they wrote defined them. Shea Stadium defined them and set the scene for the mass open air concerts/gigs that we know today.

However to basically define a whole decade in human history, the 1960's, takes some doing.

Widely regarded as the most influential musical act in history what do we make of them now 45 years after they basically ended their recording together?

Has Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band ever been eclipsed?

Can songs like this be bettered?

I honestly never stumble on them ,it was yonks ago a bit like listening to Gregorian chants.As weird as it seems more people don't listen to them than do

Anyone who says they don't like the Beatles are just trying to make themselves sound chic, but are in fact making themselves sound like a twat
Absolute rubbish ,they're average to me and I consider my taste to be broad and I'm a musician.I prefer A-ha ,that's not very chic

The baby of the band and didn't manage to get out from the shadow of the other two until later. His single Got My Mind Set On You was written with the Beatles but it was considered to kitch even for McCartney at the time and so was shelved.

'Got My Mind Set On You' was never considered for a Beatles record and it was not written by George Harrison. It was written by Rudy Clark and cut as a James Ray single in 1962. George selected it as a cover on his 'Cloud 9' album.

He had a tonne of very deep songs that he was struggling to get considered for Beatles album up until the band broke up. For instance, the Beatles cut a very strong version of 'Not Guilty' which was dropped in favour of the dollop of shite' Revolution No. 9' on the White Album. He had plenty of other great songs that he cut in his solo career that were written and offered to the Beatles. For example most of the material on 'All thing must pass' was offered to Beatles (the title song, Isn't it a pity, Wah-Wah, I'd Have you Anytime, Hear Me lord, Behind that locked door, and more). Then there were others that cracking songs that turned up on later albums that had also been offered to the Beatles such as 'Woman don't you cry for me', 'Circles' and 'See Yourself'.

Usually knackers who have a well thought through taste in music which in their opinion will make them appear cool and contrary.
On another note......I don't get wholesale devotion and rejection of Acts/Artists?
:lol: Another well trodden plop ,why can someone not rate them ? I would only ever say if asked ,it's no big deal .You can fill your house with Miles Davis and be right on and still like them.
I'd say the pro Beatles crowd are obsessed with appearing to be cool

I honestly never stumble on them ,it was yonks ago a bit like listening to Gregorian chants.As weird as it seems more people don't listen to them than do

Absolute rubbish ,they're average to me and I consider my taste to be broad and I'm a musician.I prefer A-ha ,that's not very chic
Would you really say A-ha were better than Jesus?

After the Beatles split McCartney produced some of the worst music ever heard by man.

He also produced his first solo record, with 'Junk', 'Man We Were lonely', 'Maybe I'm Amazed' 'Teddy Boy' and more,
He also produced 'Ram', probably one of his strongest solo records, and absolutely cracking rock and roll album.
He also produced 'Chaos and Creation in the Backyard' with at least five songs on a par with the best of his Beatles material ('Jenny Wren' and 'Friends to Go' could have been on any Beatles record), showing he could still do it in his 60s.
He also made absolutely tonnes of other great music. And I still say the frog song is a cracking track.

With McCartney in his solo career he seems to be at his best when he concentrates on 6 terrific songs and 6 fillers on an album. Ram is a rare exception where he is consistently brilliant across the album.

The whole "better" debates are for 12 year olds, you just like stuff .You don't listen to a Primus album and think Emmy lou Harris is better ,it's irrelevant
Yeah, but life without debate can be a bit dull. A bit like both Primus and Emmylou Harris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back