The glorious north east beaches

• Thread starter the flying graysons
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonderful memories of the Cat and Dog steps, footy all year round on the beach, grass cliff top when the tide was in! :D
Some of the boys ! Still meet at cat & dogs once a week for a coffee and chat. Sometimes we nearly have a full squad. No ball though. Just memories. Remember Boxing Day matches and a quick dip and pint after.:D

Does anyone go nowadays. saw a picture on a mates face book who were back visitng shields and they were walking up the Donkey path at Marsden. The path was totally overgrown as if no one walked down it anymore.
This it what I remember of going to the beach as a kid . Now whenever you see photos it is totally and utterly deserted. Why does no one seem to make use of what is a fantastic local free resource ?
I can only speak from personal experience, but we get the kids down to Tynemouth Longsands whenever we can - on a sunny day, the place is packed.

Some of the boys ! Still meet at cat & dogs once a week for a coffee and chat. Sometimes we nearly have a full squad. No ball though. Just memories. Remember Boxing Day matches and a quick dip and pint after.:D
Have they all got plastic knees and hips now! ;)

Druridge Bay gets busy in summer. Lovely beach and never too packed.

My older relatives always talk about how chocka Newbiggin beach used to get in the summer. I haven't been to Newbiggin for quite some time but the beach was awful when I last went.

Have they all got plastic knees and hips now! ;)
Some like me are still very fit. Most play golf ( can't understand that though) one or two have ailments :confused: Though nobody moans. Beach is perfect & not a ball in site. Very sad. Can your ember any one from the 60s to 70s era.

Some like me are still very fit. Most play golf ( can't understand that though) one or two have ailments :confused: Though nobody moans. Beach is perfect & not a ball in site. Very sad. Can your ember any one from the 60s to 70s era.
Ernie Johnson, Jock, Coxie...I think, The beach was nearly always flat were the Brazilian game was played...barefoot and no direct shots at goal! ;)

I can only speak from personal experience, but we get the kids down to Tynemouth Longsands whenever we can - on a sunny day, the place is packed.
Packed lime the above picture?

Ernie Johnson, Jock, Coxie...I think, The beach was nearly always flat were the Brazilian game was played...barefoot and no direct shots at goal! ;)
You we right. earnie has 2 new hips, coxie a new knee. McKinley feeling the pace. Clogger still the fittest of us all. Me, Davy Rutherford, & Coxie still keep fit in Health & Raquets Club though. Parksy still walks everywhere . Peter Graham as funny as ever & the crack is great.

I used to live on the Westoe Crown Vilalge estate before I moved out here, whenever it was a nice day it was always packed, people used to park there cars in our street and wander down to the sea front. used to drive us mad! This was circa 2006 -2007 so no idea if its changed now.....

Sometimes I just run up to the water and shake my fist at the sea because when I was young I dipped my little toe in and it got bit by a crab and also one time swimming of the coast of Stornaway I farted in the water and the smell was like shart

You we right. earnie has 2 new hips, coxie a new knee. McKinley feeling the pace. Clogger still the fittest of us all. Me, Davy Rutherford, & Coxie still keep fit in Health & Raquets Club though. Parksy still walks everywhere . Peter Graham as funny as ever & the crack is great.
Aye Jock Rutherford! ;) Cannit remember that far back, Ernie is me Godfather. All the lads were Northern Prem or semi pros, playing for Shildon, Horden, bishop Auckland and Shields Marine IIRC I'll let you guess which one of those is me Da! ;)

Used to play with Pete Mckinley's kids down the beach when I was a bairn like!

Jock says even with a new knee your dad still can't to a proper goal kick;)

Druridge Bay is a cracking place to take the family when the sun is out. Gets quite well populated at times.

Aye Jock Rutherford! ;) Cannit remember that far back, Ernie is me Godfather. All the lads were Northern Prem or semi pros, playing for Shildon, Horden, bishop Auckland and Shields Marine IIRC I'll let you guess which one of those is me Da! ;)

Used to play with Pete Mckinley's kids down the beach when I was a bairn like!
Jock says even with a new knee he can't take a proper goal kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back