The Roker Specials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Striker
No not some Sun'lun two tone tribute band, but the old BR trains back in the 70s - any memories of these?

The Chelsea thread reminded of them as I went on a couple 75ish to Chelsea and Oxford (lost both 1-0). I was an 11 year old about that time so it was exciting. I'm sure we were picked up at Pelaw or mebbe parked there and got on Heworth?

Anyway I remember the big lads drinking and swearing on the train and wrecking the already wrecked old coaching stock used for footy specials. This was a big adventure for me especially the lads readying themselves for running battles with Chelsea.

Fiver I think my dad said they cost... but what an experience compared to other trips by car or coach. Footy specials should be brought back and keep ordinary punters off the train...nee mail dry trains!

No not some Sun'lun two tone tribute band, but the old BR trains back in the 70s - any memories of these?

The Chelsea thread reminded of them as I went on a couple 75ish to Chelsea and Oxford (lost both 1-0). I was an 11 year old about that time so it was exciting. I'm sure we were picked up at Pelaw or mebbe parked there and got on Heworth?

Anyway I remember the big lads drinking and swearing on the train and wrecking the already wrecked old coaching stock used for footy specials. This was a big adventure for me especially the lads readying themselves for running battles with Chelsea.

Fiver I think my dad said they cost... but what an experience compared to other trips by car or coach. Footy specials should be brought back and keep ordinary punters off the train...nee mail dry trains!
Should be brought back for home games as well so we're not fighting with Xmas shoppers trying to get a bastard seat

I agree with Hank, a two carriage train from down here to Sunderland for the match is bedlam this time of year. I went on a few Footy specials in the 70's, most memorable was one to Bristol Rovers, great crack on train with booze being sold ham stotty's etc but the train windows were put through in Bristol and it was a proper battle to get back to the train from Eastville.

Liverpool New Years Day 1977 hell on trying to get back to Lime Street - Some helpful Everton fans sorted us out (Their game was postponed against Everton away if memory serves me correct)

Back in the 70s I think it was, 6hr trip to The Dell to get tonked 4 v o of Southampton and they missed a penna.

Was on MOTD anarl if I remember, great trip

Liverpool New Years Day 1977 hell on trying to get back to Lime Street - Some helpful Everton fans sorted us out (Their game was postponed against Everton away if memory serves me correct)

Were you at that game? I didn't realise there was a train on, i wish i'd caught the f**ker.
I got kicked to f**king bits just inside that little lane that runs into Stanley Park. After getting the better of a fair fight some full grown scouse c*nts used me as a football for five minutes.

Were you at the back of the Anfield Road End just before kick off when we were surrounded and the police had to get us out?

Were you at that game? I didn't realise there was a train on, i wish i'd caught the f**ker.
I got kicked to f**king bits just inside that little lane that runs into Stanley Park. After getting the better of a fair fight some full grown scouse c*nts used me as a football for five minutes.

Were you at the back of the Anfield Road End just before kick off when we were surrounded and the police had to get us out?

Yes was there - A few Everton fans came in and looked after us.

In the middle and to one side IIRC

Yes was there - A few Everton fans came in and looked after us.

In the middle and to one side IIRC

There was a group of us near the back with no segregation completely surrounded. I remember thinking it's fight or f**king die here, there's no way out of this.
I still can't remember how the police got us out as they had a long way to get there and had to clear a space to move us through the crowd.
Maybe it was everton fans who saved us and not the coppers after all!!

Went to blackpool on one - lost 3-2 micky walsh.
Was nearly 14 and went with my dad and his pal.
the fighting in the kop that day was unreal.
both sets of fans in together - no segregation, and apparently, man utd had a contingent there to fight safc !
crackin game like

Back in the 70s I think it was, 6hr trip to The Dell to get tonked 4 v o of Southampton and they missed a penna.

Was on MOTD anarl if I remember, great trip
That was on motd - osgood and lamby and gilly cud clearly be seen givin ozzy the vs

Last edited by a moderator:
I was there that day :lol:

On the train too or just the match itself?
The train set off from newcastle central with all the mags using a different platform, they were playing Bolton away. Can you imagine that happening nowadays? Having said that it was still an era for major bother.

On the train too or just the match itself?
The train set off from newcastle central with all the mags using a different platform, they were playing Bolton away. Can you imagine that happening nowadays? Having said that it was still an era for major bother.
Nah got the bus down with a few of the Castletown lads . Eventful day though ! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back