Things in your house that you remember from when you were a bairn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
had one of these when i was a kid.
and thought i'd still have it to this day as nowt seemed to break it or even scuff it.
jumped it off steps and even the prefabs roof and it was fine.
until one fateful day!.........................
i was climbing on next doors roof and jumped down on to my wash house roof.
and went straight through the asbestos .
mam came out and went properly mental at me!
like when the hulks about to rip his shirt!
anyway............
she opened the wash house door and started shouting at my legs dangling from the ceiling.
i think it's because she couldn't see the remorse on my face that wound her up.
she ran in grabbed me evel knievel and chucked it onto the fire!
not just evel but the revver aswell! and his bike!
even evel couldn't withstand this kind of punnishment.
i watched him burn for a bit and wished me mam dead for the first 3 or 4 mins.
then went outside to see the black smoke bellow from the chimney(its what evel would of wanted)
always the showman!
Logon or register to see this image

RIP Evel
:lol: Only fire could destroy this toy:cool:

Don't know if it has been mentioned already but Cod In Butter Sauce was never far away from our house in the 70s

and Arctic Roll would not be far behind :lol:

our house has an old boiler cupboard/larder and it's got paper not dissimilar to that in it still!

We had a coal house, a lobby and a pantry attached to the kitchen. When the council modernised the house in 1973 they took away the lobby and coal house but left a bit of the pantry - I think it still has the original wallpaper from 1968.

My mam still has a toasted sandwich maker in the pantry.

Last edited:
We always had Pek:

A childhood memory. Greasy sandwiches with meat from a tin during the winter months or egg, tomato and sand on the beach in the summer.

My Grandma used to make ham and tongue sandwiches when we were going over. We used to go over one evening a week after my dad got in from work. To be organised, she used to make them after breakfast and load them on a trolly with wheels ready to bring into the living room when we got there. It was an interesting study into what dried out and curled the most. Would the bread force the meat to curl or would it dry out quicker and leave the bread behind?

That sort of reminds me of my grandma, Friday & Monday my brother and I would go for tea after school. Sometimes would involve ham, tongue or something else that probably wouldn't be classed as meat :lol:. Probably the biggest memory I have of tea at my gran's is this....

She would have that full of sugar, would let us butter the bread and the plonk it into the sugar bowl. Sugar sandwiches for tea, bloody lovely (probably would be classed as child abuse now)

She still has a load of early 70's records including one by Gary Glitter and she asked me if she should chuck it away ? I said it hadn't molested any kids so leave it alone.
Tommy! :lol: Just about blew the fooka up.

A pantry but no fridge.
Renting not owning a TV, black and white valve based thing that was forever being repaired.
D.E.R :lol:

Last edited:
We used to have a Painting By Numbers picture of a Galleon which never got finished but had some Batchelors Chicken And Leek soup spilled over it. It was reminiscent of Picasso.

Remember my sister had a horse one .....that never got finished either:lol:..they looked great if you stood about 50yds away:lol:

f***ing hell I remember them. Kids today will never experience the joy of having your own Flame thrower in the Sitting room because of today's Health and safety. Rightly so in this day and age but unlucky you little twats.:lol:

Ours was a posh one with a chrome finish. I seem to remember that when the council got rid of the coal fire I kept the gas poker and hooked it up to the tap to use as a water pistol :-O
BTW there's a thread somewhere which mentions having one on the side of the cooker and I think we had one but can't remember it that well.
You can still buy them but for Butane not Town Gas.
http://www.socal.co.uk/heaters/heating/royal-butane-gas-poker.html

Last edited:
I'll see you with this...
Posh slugs them, used to get mine from the fish bowl in the town eley wasps and they would be strictly rationed amongst ourselves, you'd stick twenty in your gob no idea about lead poisoning then and off you'd go trying to make them last.

Same with the Gattywang, black widows with armrests were for rich lads, stared at them in the window then came home with a milbro.

Posh slugs them, used to get mine from the fish bowl in the town eley wasps and they would be strictly rationed amongst ourselves, you'd stick twenty in your gob no idea about lead poisoning then and off you'd go trying to make them last.

Same with the Gattywang, black widows with armrests were for rich lads, stared at them in the window then came home with a milbro.
Went fishing at barny with a black widow when was a kid.In my head must have thought I was a South Pacific fisherman when I was just an 11 year old in monkey boots and a harra jacket.

This mirrors my childhood perfectly.:lol:

Parents had a few of these up on the wall.

Always remember one holiday when my mam bought one from Spain and brought it through in her luggage, as a young lad seeing the armed police take your mother to one side was pretty scary!
The gadgy next door had a front room with all the walls covered in swords and guns. I always thought they were ornimental until one day he had a row with his son and ended up waving some kind of gun about and it went off and blew a hole in the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back