Things the internet has killed off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly off topic from the OP, but I was at a quiz recently where you had to use your mobile. Downloaded an app, logged into the quizmaster's dedicated wifi, then answered his questions using your mobile. You couldn't get out of the app to get the answer on your own phone, as it would log you off his system, and you only had ten seconds to answer and it closed the question after that, so you couldn't go back to it. Also far too quick to check the answer on someone else's phone, so pretty much eliminated cheating. :)
unless of course you had a second phone

In the sense that kids will now rather sit and watch shitty youtube vids of wanker hipsters playing Minecraft, trolling people online or watching beheading videos than going outside and playing with their mates, climbing trees and having fun.

My kids love playing out with their mates but like I commented earlier the amount of cars that are in streets now means that they're limited to what they can safely do when they play out. There's also more clubs/groups kids can attend now than when I was a kid, my two are out nearly everyday doing some sort of activity ranging from dancing, Brownies, Football and Rugby and they'd do more if we'd let them and if time allowed. IMO there's this modern myth that kids sit at home and do nothing but play on iPad/Xbox etc and I don't doubt that many do but kids, given the opportunity love to be active and doing stuff and it's probably more down to lazy parenting that children don't do more stuff. Kids also embrace technology tho and let's face it something like an iPad that can do such a variety of things from playing games to watching tv and films is going to be popular with kids that have limited attention spans.

Finding that long sought after record in a box at the back of a record shop. Great feeling. Just doesn't seem the same searching on Ebay and finding it.
Also having albums leaked or streamed on the internet instead of catching a snippet of your favourite bands new release on the Friday Rockshow (for us Rock types) or John Peel (for the Indie types) then running into town to buy it on the day of release.

My experience was that I'd go clubbing over the wknd & I'd get to know a particular track after it been played for the last few weeks/months. I would absolutely love it & the next thing is to find out the name of it & what label it's on. That could take another 3 or 4 weeks. Then I would go to the record shop during the week & see could they order it in. All in all, it could take 3 or 4 or 5 months (or much longer) to get this track you so desperately needed to be in possession of. & when you got it, there was no feeling like it. Seems prehistoric now but they were great times. Simple pleasures & all that.

There was one in a couple of 2nd hand shops on hylton road years ago. £3 for the first video or £2 if you were returning one.

Apparently.
Speedy Book Service? Otherwise known as Uncle Nobbys dirty book shop.So I've heard like.

Sometimes we have just too much music. Back in the olden days I could afford an album every couple of months saving up my pocket money and dinner money. I`d carefully choose what I was going to get and the excitement would build as I saved enough to buy it. I`d then play it to death, knew all the words, read the sleeve notes, knew the songwriters, producer and all that stuff. Now I have so much stuff I don`t seem to be able to listen to an album as intently anymore. Life, family and work also stop that...not much time for just sitting back on an evening and listening to a few records.

My iPod is 160gb & is almost full. That's an absolutely retarded amount of music which would take me years to get through. It's pointless.

My experience was that I'd go clubbing over the wknd & I'd get to know a particular track after it been played for the last few weeks/months. I would absolutely love it & the next thing is to find out the name of it & what label it's on. That could take another 3 or 4 weeks. Then I would go to the record shop during the week & see could they order it in. All in all, it could take 3 or 4 or 5 months (or much longer) to get this track you so desperately needed to be in possession of. & when you got it, there was no feeling like it. Seems prehistoric now but they were great times. Simple pleasures & all that.
Similar to this, standing at the till in a record shop saying "well it sort of goes like 'da, da, doo, doo, hhhhmmmMMMM'"

ha yeah. now you can check playlists, use shazam and it's all at your fingertips and you're bored of it within about an hour.

The printed media.
Hmm killed off? Circulations of daily newspapers still seem high. Walk into a decent newsagents and you can still choose from about dozen papers. 10 years ago people were predicting there would be none by now. Stats might be on the decline but the reality is that printed media looks like going nowhere.

On that note, magazines seem as popular as ever. Browsing in W H Smith is a bit mental considering we are living in the 'digital' age. There are about half a dozen monthly magazines each for topics like caravans, weddings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back